Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
The risks? Over-tightening and splitting the nut or shearing the threads off so they give way gradually over time... Or, the nut backing off overtime, constantly, every time the temperature changes or it experiences vibration. It's designed around friction, friction is your friend on a flared fitting - and teflon is the second slipperiest substance known to man save ice with a film of water on it. (like going outdoors with the soles of shoes warm and stepping on glaze ice at the top of the stairs, frictionless!)
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #22
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Chris,

Please don't sue me. If this is a flared fitting (and I bow to your expertise and eyesight), then I am badly in need of better glasses.
Aage I certainly won't be suing you, but you can guarantee that some lawyer will be looking for someone to blame and collect a big fat fee for getting cash for somebody.
If you have noticed I don't post much advice regarding these type of issues unless I feel the person in really capable and even then I really limit my advice and suggest they let a professional do it for them.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Well I would never try and sue someone over advise from a forum. There has to be a line for common sense and capable boundaries at some point. Not tryin to say y'all were talking about me in general.
I just like to get different views the come up with my own solution. So technically I'm at fault in the end if something goes wrong.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #24
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Using teflon tape on a flare fitting won't do any good and might do harm. Any time you use it be careful it does not get into the line, a little piece can foul any valve it gets into. Could cause a slow leak of gas in the trailer.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
I just removed the old line and 4 fittings, none of them had any sort of teflon on them. I'm pretty sure this is factory piping.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
We just got back from a trip. 5 hours of road time and not all of it great roads. When we pulled in I could smell the gas. Quick crawl underneath with my handy "dollar store Bubble solution" (normally used by kids to make big bubbles) and found the leak. It was coming from a flared fitting I had done about 6 months back. No one to blame but myself. Quick tweak with the wrench an all was well.

So...even when you are done, if you are handy/unhandy like me , you may want to check it on occasion just to be sure all is still well.

Have fun!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Propane pipe?

Speaking of replacing some propane line: The copper lines on my '69 AS are much thicker than the copper tubing available at the hardware store, and hence much more resistant to undercarraige damage, I think.
Is there a special pipe for propane, or will regular copper tubing in the plumbing department work? I asked one of the "helpful" orange vests at the hardware store and got a generic answer (deer-in-the-headlight stare, of course ).
I'm starting to think the only qualification to work in a hardware store is knowing North and South (Comin' to work, and a-goin' home. ).

So will regular copper tubing work? I already have a flaring tool.
Thanks!
edglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Copper tubing is designed for specific uses. Go to one of the big box stores. They should have it in boxes of 25' and the box will give info on what the tubing is designed for; ie refrigeration etc.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There is nothing special about the line. Plain water grade pipe is fine. You can get yellow coated copper from Mcmaster.com. The yellow identifies it as a gas line and the coating also helps protect the pipe from corrsion and chaffing. You have to strip the yellow coating off before using a fitting. The copper lines are good for several hundred psi and you are using about 5psi. The same type of 37 degree flare fittings are used in aerospace applications all the time. You don't need tape or seals other than a good flare on your tubing. If the flare is split or damaged you need to cut it off and make a new one. Soapy water is great for checking leaks and you need to check all joints after making repairs. Copper and brass are not going to be harmed by the soap but you can wash it off if you like. If you need to use tapered pipe threads (NPT) on something use teflon of whatever color you like and use one layer. More layers and it will bunch up and not seal. Use only brass or stainless steel pipe fittings.

The main reason for the overkill on the lines is in case the regulator fails in which case you have about 100psi to deal with.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #30
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
I'm quite sure it is a flared fitting!!
If you are handy with a flaring tool .
I would consider making it a double flare.
Some times single flares have a tendency of cracking over time.
I used to do a lot of flaring of copper pipes on older buses .
We always double flared so lines wouldn't break!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #31
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Copper pipes used for propane applications are thicker.
To reduce breakage. A lot more sturdy!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Copper pipe has gotten cheaper and cheaper and thinner and thinner walled. The stuff in my house rotted in less than 20yrs but they used the cheap stuff. About half way down on this page you will see the yellow coated copper gas line.

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/AS...opper-Pipe.pdf

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote