Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1986 31' Sovereign
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Thermocouple Needed

I've gotten my ancient Dometic (RM100) up and running on AC, and plugged in where it should be. Now, I'm tackling issues with running it on gas. It does not want to stay lit. Common wisdom is that it's the thermocouple, and, ordinarily, that would be easy enough. But, I've been told it's a discontinued part number for which there is no substitute.

Anyone know where to get an old item like this, or what I can do to change to a more modern valve with a different thermo couple? I surely can't see replacing a working unit for the lack of a thermocouple, or replacement safety valve.

As with past questions, all help is appreciated.

Thanks.
DaAairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I bought a universal one at the hardware store. It works just fine. Just try to find one close to the same length as the existing unit. Mine is a little long but it works.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
If you are trying to light it from inside the fridge by pressing the knob in you will never get it to stay lit. After turning the knob in the fridge to gas I go outside, open the access door and gently press up and hold the red button for 30 seconds to let air purge from the line and then with a butane lighter light the burner. My unit does not have a round access door to the burner, it has a large piece of metal held in by 2 screws. There is a small gap between this piece of metal and the chimney and I have found that the lighter flame pointed in that gap lights the burner without having to unscrew the panel every time. Once lit, I have to keep pressing up on the red button for at least a minute in order for the burner to stay lit. Sometimes as I slowly release pressure on the red button the flame will go out, in which case I repeat the above and wait for the thermocouple to get hot. You could have a clogged burner. They seem to collect rust/debris over time. Low gas pressure will also cause problems.

However, once you get the burner to stay lit, it will stay lit. I ran mine exclusively on gas on my 25 day trip last year. I drove through some real windy areas and the flame never went out while traveling. I prefer to run on electric in the campground but given the age of the unit, I try to minimize the frequency of lighting the burner. Why tempt fate?
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1986 31' Sovereign
Thanks for the responses. I haven't been depending on the lighter from inside. It's just too hard peaking through the little sight hole to confirm when lit. I do work from the outside, so I think it is going to mean a new thermocouple, of some sort from some where. Hopefully, I can find a universal as suggested.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I think my wife is hot. Does that make us a thermocouple?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieAndy View Post
Thanks for the responses. I haven't been depending on the lighter from inside. It's just too hard peaking through the little sight hole to confirm when lit. I do work from the outside, so I think it is going to mean a new thermocouple, of some sort from some where. Hopefully, I can find a universal as suggested.
Be aware it may be a metric thread. If the normal universal one won't screw in check out a replacement for one of the blue flame type heaters.

I also light mine from the rear but I put a piezo lighter from a gas grill near the burner to light it while I hold the bypass button.
We had the electric heater in ours quit as we were leaving for Florida. Ran on gas for 2 months with no blowouts.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Domestic has a web page. They list authorized service centers. Call one or a few. They will know if there is a replacement.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
RV PARTS OUTLET

Try this and see if it is the right part.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
There is a small gap between this piece of metal and the chimney and I have found that the lighter flame pointed in that gap lights the burner without having to unscrew the panel every time."

Boy, does that sound familiar!

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1986 31' Sovereign
I've ordered it. Hopefully they really have it in stock. Thanks for the info, I had tried 3 other surplus outlets, but wasn't aware of this one.