Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Englehart , Ontario
Thermix won't stay lit

1975 Overlander, I can get the thermix heater to light by holding the pilot thing, but when I release it and wait a bit, nothing. Bad thermo coupler?
Northlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Thermocouple corroded at contact point? Carboned up? Gas valve corroded and not being properly opened? Bad thermocouple? Could need cleaning in the air inlet which may be preventing the sail valve from opening. All of these things can be investigated for free if you are handy. Take it all apart, clean and put it back together. Retry. Good luck!
Go to the forums for furnace fixes and repairs...use the search function. You may find further pertinent research there.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Sounds like a Mythbuster Episode

I bet I'm not the only Mythbusters fan who thought -- after reading "Thermix won't stay lit" -- you need a blasting cap!

(The latest episode was about lighting plastic explosives)
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I am assuming that you are referring to a thermix catalytic heater.
When you light it with the pilot flames will creep across the pad. After it has warmed for 20 or 30 seconds and you release the button the pilot will go out and so will the flames across the pad.
At this point it will continue to make heat but there will be no obvious flame. Sometimes a slight red glow might be seen in the dark.

If it is not doing this it could be a bad thermocouple.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Englehart , Ontario
Took it all apart, cleaned, and checked the thermocouple. It checked fine. Reassembled, and lit it up. This time, I was very quiet and I could hear a small amount of gas going through after releasing the pilot and waiting, then setting control to high. There was a very small amout of heat coming off the bottom of the unit. When I listened closely, low, medium, or high didn't make any difference. I'm pretty sure there is a little bit of gas coming out, and it must be burning because I don't smell any raw propane. So now I' thinking control valve or plugged hole where the gas comes out. When I had it apart, I see that the gas comes out at the top of the unit and then just falls over the catalytic material and burns like that? I could put my hand right on the grill, and it wasn't too hot, just a bit warm at the bottom.
Northlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sounds like a gas flow issue. The one in my trailer gets very hot and you can not touch the grade when it is running.

BTW, the propane does not burn. It is a chemical process with the propane and the platinum in the heater that causes the heat, but there is no flame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catheater.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	145128  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote