Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
The smell of gas...and a strange instrument above my fridge.

Hi all. I've got a 76 Sovereign, 31' twin bath. The refrigerator has been replaced and just uses a typical, small electric fridge.

Underneath, I see where the gas line runs from the tanks to the stove (on the door side) and then splits off to the fridge compartment. There are two lines that run there, one which has been cut and sealed off properly, and another which runs up into the little compartment behind the fridge, and then on up past the fridge to the cupboard above it. It runs into a device which I've included a photo of. This hangs just outside of the cupboard, facing the bed / front of the AS.

Up until last night, everything related to propane worked pretty well. Still haven't lit the pilot light / used the oven, but I have the knob on the Magic Chef oven turned to "Pilot Off" which as always worked well for us. The burner still works, hot water heater, and heater itself. I swear the smell is coming from the thing that I have an image posted above, but there's nothing on it that indicates "off" and turning it up, down, pushing it in, nothing seems to stop the smell. I believe it was up when we got it, but I'm not sure. Anyone know what this device is and/or how I can just shut it off completely?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think that's where there used to be a gas light. "Humphrey" is what people call some of those gas lights, if memory serves.

There may be a branch with a valve that shuts that off (perhaps even under the trailer.) I don't have a gas light, but each of my gas appliances has an individual in-line shutoff valve under the trailer.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
That fixture is for an interior propane light....which is obviously missing. I removed one from my '72 Trade Wind...and will not be putting it back in. Don't know if it would fit your fixture or not.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Get some dish detergent and squirt some into a bottle or glass and add some water. Use a small brush to apply the soapy water to the strange item and see if there are any bubbles. If so, the item is leaking gas.

There are also "sniffers" that detect propane, but soapy water is cheap and works well. Sometimes a very small leak won't show up even with soapy water, but it almost always works.

If it is leaking, the best thing is to cap the propane line. It is probably copper and may not have a threaded fitting. The fitting, apparently behind the wall, may be the source of the leak, so check behind the wall. Since you won't be using a gas light, it is a good idea to get rid of the item anyway and cap the line.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote