Old 09-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up tank updates

Does any law exist saying that propane tanks must be updated inorder to get them refilled? I haven't encountered any problem geting them refilled.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Two actually....

The laws are federal regulations, not state law... Come from US DOT... All states supposed to follow...

The first law (applicable to RV type upright propane tanks..) requires the new "OPD" tank valves to be installed. These have rough triangular valve handles, and a float internally to keep the tanks from being over-filled. NO propane supplier is supposed to refill tanks now without these new valves installed.. (and Worthington Aluminum tanks used on lots of airstreams require a special model of the valve, not stocked by everyone...). The new valves use different refill fittings, and are hard to miss if they're not installed.

The second requires a form of pressure and integrity testing every 5 to 7 years, and the date stamped on the tank with metal stamps. Same theory, propane dealers not supposed to refill without recent date stamp.. Far fewer propane shops abide by that one, but if you need propane and that dealer won't refill your tanks, it could be a bad day.. Aluminum tanks don't suffer same rust problems that can affect steel tanks, but same rules apply.

Neither regulation carries criminal penalties or fines.. Just a potential restriction on ability to refill..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Law re upgrading and refills

In both TX and LA the tanks have to be upgraded in order to be re-filled. In TX it was first required just to have the valves upgraded, then there had to be an inspection stamped on it. Had one of them done for about 45, then when the other was empty had it done under the new rule for about the same amount, but had to pay AGAIN to have the other one stamped.

It is a law for them to be upgraded and inspected with the date stamped in order to be refilled, at least in these two states.

Waynon
Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcutter
Does any law exist saying that propane tanks must be updated inorder to get them refilled? I haven't encountered any problem geting them refilled.
I think it depends on the area. IIRC the OPD requirement was NFPA(I think that is the one) code and then local jurisdictions picked up on it. Also from what I understand the aluminum tanks don't necessarily have to have the OPD if they are over a certain size. But they do have to have current certification. My tanks were recertified, and get refilled by the same place that does our company tanks. No OPD's on them...yet. Or it may be a matter of the person filling your tanks is ignorant/doesn't care about the law.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Personal friend of mine, who works at a propane company, says tanks from 10 lbs. to 40 pounds need to have the new OPD valve. I have done all mine, except a commercial 43 pound aluminum tank, which he claims is over the size requiring OPD valve.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Here is a link to help you out with OPD valves in the US:

OPD valves

On recertification, it's required in the US at 12 years after the original date of manufacture, as stamped on the collar of the bottle. If the bottle has already been recertified -- and assuming the common, visual recertification -- then a second stamped date must appear on the collar:

E [date] -- visual recertification, good for 5 more years

Lynn
Old 09-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Are these updated tanks or old?

Hi all,

The picture is of my newly acquired old '74Argy26 undergoing a renewal. Are the propane tanks original and therefore in need of replacement?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day Five Measuring Propane Tanks old (reduced).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	25929  
Old 09-14-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper
Hi all,

The picture is of my newly acquired old '74Argy26 undergoing a renewal. Are the propane tanks original and therefore in need of replacement?

Thanks!
They look like Aluminum tanks, They are worth having the valves updated and the tanks tested.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I agree

You can tell by the valve knobs that they do not have the OPD upgrade. The knobs on upgraded tanks are triangle not round. Test them with a magnet to see if they are steel or aluminum. I would upgrade them if aluminum, replace if they are steel. BTW, I paid around $300 for 2 30# aluminum tanks (with shipping) this year.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:47 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Sacramento , California
Try to upgrade them

I just got my aluminun 30# tanks back. The cost to recertify and put new valves was only $45 each so that definitely seems to be the cheaper way to go.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Tanks a Lot!

(there's a plastic tank manufacturer up here named "Tanks a Lot")

Anyways, I didn't know that aluminum ones were so pricey. Thanks for the tip on just getting the OPD valves! I'll do that soon. But these tanks do have propane in them, so the PO must have had them filled somehow, or the propane's been in there for a long time. Or maybe the rules are different up here in Canada?

Cheers!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello chopper ,yes those tanks appear to be aluminum ,and worth the refit
of the new valves for sure.It is possible that someone had a friend somewhere refill those tanks under cover so to speak ,but no matter .Go ahead and use the propane thats in the tanks if they are pretty full ,no need
to waste it .Its not unsafe to use them as they are so when empty then the valves and refill can be done.

Scott of scottanlily
Old 09-25-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Aluminum all right

Thanks,

The propane shop that will change the valves with OPD valves confirmed too that they are about $250 a pop.

But I'll strip them of the house paint that they're covered in!

Cheers!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Chopper,
Go ahead and use the LP up, I don't think it goes bad...at least the 100# tank that I found in the barn was still good. And the last time that tank was certified was 1957 and the last time anybody around there used that style of tank was back in the early 60's for the old cook stove.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote