Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
 
Devils Lake , North Dakota
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance
What in the world makes aluminum tanks worth more than 5 times the steel ones? Is it just for looks?? Weights a non issue as it re-cert requirements so it has to be a vanity thing.
Well where is the crow???? The "steel" tanks that I thought were excellent with zero rust turned out to be.................. You guessed it. Aluminum!!

Yee Haa

Now I have changed my opinion and aluminum is well worth 5 times the cost of steel.
__________________

__________________
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance
Well where is the crow???? The "steel" tanks that I thought were excellent with zero rust turned out to be.................. You guessed it. Aluminum!!

Yee Haa

Now I have changed my opinion and aluminum is well worth 5 times the cost of steel.
Two lbs. of fresh crow will arrive Saturday via UPS.

Now you're one of the RICH guys
__________________

__________________
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #31
More than one rivet loose
 
thecatsandi's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,754
I have a pair of 30# tanks for sale. Located in eastern Oregon. I upgraded to 40#s.
__________________
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member
 
tinsltootsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 126
Images: 29
On the tank issue....what is the cost to have new valves put on aluminum?? We replaced ours with steel when our local guys wouldn't refill them. I think they're 30 lbs, at least whatever would normally be on a 27 ft overlander... they're bigger than a grill tank and in good shape. Just wondered on the cost of the new valves. We haven't decided what to do with them yet, but we still have them.
__________________
It's the rivets!!!!!
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #33
Islay - 63 O.
 
dufferin's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 581
Images: 11
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsltootsie
On the tank issue....what is the cost to have new valves put on aluminum?? We replaced ours with steel when our local guys wouldn't refill them. I think they're 30 lbs, at least whatever would normally be on a 27 ft overlander... they're bigger than a grill tank and in good shape. Just wondered on the cost of the new valves. We haven't decided what to do with them yet, but we still have them.
It's about, as already said, and from my recent experience, 45$us (60$can).
Mine were done the same day. Brought them in in the morning got them back before 4 PM.
__________________
Canadian Atlantic Unit Past President
Protect your dream from others and first yourself...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,113
I paid $40 for the 2 valves and another $50 to install , re-certify , and fill both tanks . This was done at a local gas supplier who also sells appliances .
__________________
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member
 
Devils Lake , North Dakota
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 169
I got my OPD valves off ebay for $29 for the pair. Solid brass and nice valves.

I installed them myself (easy) and the local propane dealer recertified them for free when I filled them. The valves I got already had the blue tread seal on them and were ready to go.

I decided to just paint them white again. Less possibility of theft now that I know they are spendy rascals.
__________________
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance
I got my OPD valves off ebay for $29 for the pair. Solid brass and nice valves.

I installed them myself (easy) and the local propane dealer recertified them for free when I filled them. The valves I got already had the blue tread seal on them and were ready to go.

I decided to just paint them white again. Less possibility of theft now that I know they are spendy rascals.
Sundance,

Aluminum tanks take a different valve than steel tanks because the profile of the tank is different. I hope you purchased the valves for aluminum and not steel tanks.

Bill
__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member
 
tinsltootsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 126
Images: 29
hmmm. Not too pricey. I bet my husband paid more for new steel ones! (then we painted them silver!)
__________________
It's the rivets!!!!!
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member
 
Devils Lake , North Dakota
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 169
Bill,

I had no idea there were different valves for aluminium. The supplier did not indicate this. After looking up some info I see the only difference is the dip tube length. Steel is 4.8" and aluminium is 6".

I can't think of any real safety issue. Having never had a problem with Non-OPD valves this has to be at least safer than the old valves???

All the suppliers I know of and have used fill by weight..... so the OPD valve is overkill for me.

It works..... That said. Thanks for the info. Had I to do it over again I would get the "correct" valve.
__________________
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #39
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance
Bill,

I had no idea there were different valves for aluminium. The supplier did not indicate this. After looking up some info I see the only difference is the dip tube length. Steel is 4.8" and aluminium is 6".

I can't think of any real safety issue. Having never had a problem with Non-OPD valves this has to be at least safer than the old valves???

All the suppliers I know of and have used fill by weight..... so the OPD valve is overkill for me.

It works..... That said. Thanks for the info. Had I to do it over again I would get the "correct" valve.
Sundance,

The difference is the length of the dip tube, this is because the aluminum tanks have a different profile than the steel tanks. If you always fill by weight, do you start with a completely empty tank or do you know the gross weight of a full aluminum tank, which will be less than a full tank?

Since the length of the steel valve is less than for an aluminum tank, if the filler uses the OPD valve as a shut off, your aluminum tank will be overfilled.

Bill
__________________

__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1978 Minuet 6.0 Metre Gray Water Tank overlander64 All Argosy Trailers 6 11-15-2002 07:11 AM
Replacing Metal Box for holding tank Mike Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 11 10-26-2002 04:40 AM
Pressurized water tank eracism Fresh Water Systems 2 10-25-2002 07:09 AM
63' tradewinds black water tank Pberrini Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 1 09-22-2002 01:57 PM
White water tank cleaning... Andy R Fresh Water Systems 9 05-17-2002 09:14 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.