Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Suburban NT-30SP Won't Stay Lit

Hey guys,

I am finally at the stage where I am testing out all of my appliances. I am checking all LP appliances now. The stove works fine. The fridge lights but does not cool (maybe a thermostat issue) but my main concern is that my Suburban NT-30SP won't stay lit for more than a couple seconds.

Here is what happens:

I open LP tanks. I turn on furnace. I set the temp on the thermostat to higher than room temp. The furnace blower comes on and the ignition starts clicking and flaming through the viewing hole. Then the gas lights in the chamber and stays lit for about 2-3 seconds. Then it goes out and the furnace attempts to relight. The same thing happens 3 times in a row.

I am using the original thermostat, if that matters...

Any ideas what I can do to get this working? Is there just air in the lines?

Thanks for any help.

Chris
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
UPDATE: Furnace still won't stay lit. Water Heater works perfectly. Stove works perfectly but the flames are much lower while the Water Heater is doing it's thing. Is that because of the gas first going to the WH and then to the stove (and then furnace)? Or should a proper system have equal pressure throughout the entire systems at all times regardless of how many items being used?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Pressures should stay the same no mater how many appliances are on. You need a new gas pressure regulator. They are not that expensive.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Look at the pressure regulator at the bottles. Sounds like there is a flow restriction there. If there is a pressure gauge at the Refig. watch it before and as someone lights the stove or hot water heater. The pressure should stay steady.

Another place to look at is the piping. Oil may have accumulated at a low point and is the flow restriction point

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Sounds like the thermocouple is bad on the furnace. They are cheap and easy to replace and should fix you problem.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
I should note that this is a brnad new furnace. Never been used. Before I go the route of sending to Suburban or having a tech fix it, I would like to try the more obvious fixes out there. Honestly, I feel like I have low pressure in my system. When I had the Water Heater on, I could barely get a flame on the stove, but when nothing else was on, the stove working great.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Your regulator should compensate for different appliances being on, unless you have a pinched/obstructed line that's causing the gas flow problem.

My '75 had a fairly recent regulator when I bought it, but I had a problem keeping the refrigerator lit on the road and traced that to borderline gas pressure. I replaced the regulator and that solved the problem.

Do you have (or have access to) a water manometer?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Put a gunge on the system. You should have 11 in. of water column. Answer the question if you have gas before looking for something else .

Once the gauge is in place do the experiment noted above and watch the gauge. It should not drop as things are turned on.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Sorry guys.as much as I wasn't too do that test, or first trip is tomorrow and I don't have time to find that meter. I went and bought a new regulator and hoses. Aside from that every other part of the system is brand new. I will let you know what happens when I get home...
Old 10-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
UPDATE:

I bought a new Auto Switchover Regulator and 2 new Pigtails. The problem is fixed... Last night I thought I heard a slight leak sound near the tanks but thought that it may be normal. So I am not sure whether it was the Regulator or the Pigtails. Either way, it is nice and cozy in the trailer now. If only I could get rid of that burnt paint, new furnace smell....