Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
1988 32' Excella
anchorage , Alaska
Sturgis regulator recall

Here is the replacement Cavagna regulator sent to us to replace the recalled Sturgis. We are in a very rural situation here and are trying to do this ourselves...So, how do we get these pigtails attached? It looks like the connectors that are on the regulator at the inflow ports are glued in ...waiting for a call from Sturgis on Monday, but hoping someone here can shed some light for a couple of un-mechanical people...
Name:   photo-2.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  34.6 KB
pbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I think that paper tag has some info for you.

One tank goes to each side and the supply line to your appliances goes to the bottom port.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
The regulator (as all retail regulators) have 1/4" inverse flare adapters semi-permanently attached. Airstream, unlike everyone else in the RV industry, uses 1/4" NPT pigtails. You can either try to remove the flare adapters on the regulator ( good luck with this) or buy new pigtails with the necessary male inverse flare connectors.

The guy at Sturgis probably forgot that Airstream uses an OEM part without the flare adapters.

My suggestion is to order the pigtails - you will be aligned with the rest of the RV industry and will have a much easier time with replacements in the future

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If you don't need the bushings at the inlet ports, they can be easily removed with a bit of effort. I usually place the regulator in a vise and use the appropriate sized wrench . It's not a glue, but a thread sealer compound.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
1988 32' Excella
anchorage , Alaska
Thanks khollister...you are amazing with your knowledge...can I have you on retainer for future problems??!
Old 12-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
LOL - I'll be glad to take retainer and create a problem any time you need one. Wait ... I'm guessing that wasn't what you meant? 😳

Keith
Old 12-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Sturgis regulator recall

Lew has clearly had better luck removing the flare bushings than the one time I tried it. I swear they put them in with Locktite stud and bearing mount. A little heat is normally the ticket but that will likely screw up the regulator.

It's worth a try at least - removing them, not using heat

BTW - NPT (National Pipe Thread) connections require Teflon tape or thread sealant rated for LPG. Flare connections should be assembled bare. The outlet of the regulator is 3/8" NPT, so that needs tape - be sure to get the yellow stuff for gas.

Keith
Old 12-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
Lew has clearly had better luck removing the flare bushings than the one time I tried it. I swear they put them in with Locktite stud and bearing mount. A little heat is normally the ticket but that will likely screw up the regulator.

It's worth a try at least - removing them, not using heat

BTW - NPT (National Pipe Thread) connections require Teflon tape or thread sealant rated for LPG. Flare connections should be assembled bare. The outlet of the regulator is 3/8" NPT, so that needs tape - be sure to get the yellow stuff for gas.

Keith
Nope, never had a problem, but then I have probably replaced over 50 by this point over the last 15 years.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
1988 32' Excella
anchorage , Alaska
I just found the 1/4 inverse flare pigtails on Amazon and they will be here Monday, just in time for our road trip from GA to Texas next week with the new AS! Funny how AS is just a little bit different from the standard in the rest of the industry...We were traveling through Yukon Territory once and had a loose wheel which caused lug bolts to shear off. That little adventure had us spending an extra 5 days in Whitehorse, as we found out that the AS lug bolts are just slightly different from EVERYONE else! It's an adventure out there...