Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Exclamation Stainless Steel & Mirror Finish LP Tanks

I'm doing a quick "market survey..." If you could replace your stock LP tanks with mirror-finish stainless steel ones, would you? How much would you pay per tank?

Would you prefer polished (ie: mirror) or standard stainless steel? Both varities would come clear-coated to help protect the finish.

You can send me your "vote" at: tonybustamante@comcast.net I'll send you the results via personal e-mail if you're interested.

Thanks.

Tony

PS: I'm not really a new member, it's just that I forgot my password and user name, so I re-registered!
TonyBusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
I would stick to the original Worthington Aluminum tanks. They can be polished to a mirror finish just like the Great AMERICAN Airstream itself. They weigh less than its equivalent size steel tanks. Aluminum doesn't rust either. Probably a no-brainer.Rob
Airstream 1975! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Stainless Steel & Mirror Finish LP Tanks

Greetings Tony!

As well as the Worthington Aluminum tanks polish up, I couldn't imagine going back to the added weight of a steel product. The filled 40 pound Aluminum tanks are almost as easy to manage as my former 30 pound steel tanks. The photo below is of the Worthington tanks on my '64 Overlander - - they were purchased new to replace the steel tanks that had been on my Overlander for about a twenty years - - the Ruths of P & S Trailer Service polished the tanks along with my coach, but the tanks were not Plasticoated as there was concern that normal handling would "break" the Plasticoat surface and result in hazing of the coating. In use, I have found that the finish can be maintained with annual polishing with Met All with regular maintenance coatings of Walbernize (when the balance of the coach is Walbernized)

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
...and when something catastrophic happens on the road, and you wind up dragging one of these things behind you....no sparks!

with steel: lots of sparks
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Good point, Chuck. Just 2 weeks ago I was towing my recently acquired '76 Argosy to a grain mill to be weighed when I heard a dragging and banging sound. One of the steel LP tanks had gotten loose from it's perch and was dragging along by just the hose.
It was empty but still could have been a very explosive situation.
I have aluminum tanks on my Caravel and would not consider switching to stainless or any other steel.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Thanks!

Excellent feedback! You guys are right on, and those polished aluminum tanks are beautiful.

Now, do you think there's a market for pre-polished aluminum tanks? Or are most Airstreamers the "do it yourself" type?

(I'm an MBA grad student at DePaul in Chicago... and I'm itching to apply my soon-to-be-acquired degree to work! I hope to become affluent enough to purchase a new Safari bunk!!)
TonyBusto is offline   Reply With Quote