Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
1977 31' Sovereign
1988 29' Excella
Abilene , Texas
Smashed LP Line

I think I know the answer, but just want to make sure before I replace this line. The gas line on my '88 is smashed at the back of the A-frame just before it goes under under the trailer. I am assuming this is not factory and should be replaced, but just wanted to make sure?

Thank you,

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GasLine.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	134564  
Old 07-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Its not factory someone probably blocked the tongue at that point.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
1977 31' Sovereign
1988 29' Excella
Abilene , Texas
As suspected. Thanks for confirming!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are asking if that is where the factory installed the line. The answer is "YES". Many gas lines are damaged when a portable jack is used to raise the trailer tongue.
When I replaced the line on my trailer, I routed it inside the frame rather than below to prevent it from being crushed between a jack and the frame. I don't plan to use a jack there, but the next owner may.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
1977 31' Sovereign
1988 29' Excella
Abilene , Texas
Thank you for the info. I replaced the line and it passed the soap and water test. This is a new trailer to me so I am trying to make sure there are no gas leaks. If I pressurize the lines, fire up the burner on the stove, turn off the burner, and finally close the gas valve it seems that after sometime the lines aren't holding he pressure as the regulator goes from green to red. No DC or shore power so nothing else is trying to automatically start like the hot water heater normally does. Should the lines should hold the pressure indefinitely?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Todd the lines should have no appreciable loss in pressure for ten minutes to pass a leak test.Check to make sure the shut off to the stove is closed. There is a pilot light setup for the stove top burners.It is located in the center of the four burners under the cover. Once the stove top pilot is light to use the burners you just turn on the required burner and it will light from the pilot. The oven also has a pilot light set up and will be able to be shut off from the burner temp control knob. Look closely at the knob it will be marked pilot off.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhariable
...Should the lines should hold the pressure indefinitely?
Apparently the answer is, no. The regulator reduces the tank pressure to 11" of water. My recollection was that a 1/2" drop in pressure over 20 minutes was allowable for the leak test. Every trailer I've owned passed the leak test. The last 2 had electronic ignition for the water heater and fridge and the stove didn't have a gas pilot, although the oven did but required a valve be pressed to light it until the thermocouple took over. I've come to accept as normal that if I shut off the tanks for a few days, I will have to open a stove burner to purge air before the burner will light. Likewise the water heater will take a few cycles to light the first time.

Where does it go? Does it just bleed down though the various fittings and valves that don't leak enough to be detected? Or does the lack of high side pressure against the regulator allow the low side to gradually escape back through the vent?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It usually leaks out through the valves. Tapered plug valves, like the ones used for the stove burners, are especially bad in this regard. There is also some diffusion through the wall of any rubber hoses.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote