Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
"Smart" LP Gas Detectors

Searched the various threads about LP gas detectors, but want to take it two steps further. I have a 1961 Trade Wind (originally no lp, fire or anything detectors). The original Dometic is now running, LP only (no electric). I am not using the furnace as am installing a heat pump A/C unit and have replaced with original water heater with a new LP and/or electric heat model. Stove is the original pilotless thing from 1961 that needs to stay as it matches the fridge. I will use my trailer mostly for dog shows, so will have me and the dogs. I have heard there are some detectors that will automatically shut off the LP gas when the alarm goes off (really like that idea). Also, are there any that will notify you by email or text like many of the temp alarms will? To really add to the want list - would be great to combine a "smart" LP/smoke/CO2/temp detector system, but thinking that is probably hoping for too much?
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Most propane detectors designed for marine use (and many intended for RV use) have connections for a solenoid valve to shut off the propane supply.

There are combined detectors available however placement is problematic because it is rare that the ideal location for all alarms is the same.

I do not believe propane detectors provide any safety benefit in RVs for reasons I have written about on other threads.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
The challenge is if I am out of the trailer for a few hours and might have a dog or two inside. When you have a fridge that solely runs off propane, and the burner decides to flake out during a tank changeover, you run a chance of propane continuing to flow. Or a stove burner left slightly on could give a similar problem. These are 50+ year old appliances.

In my home, my smoke and general alarm interface through a wireless network, and my thermostat does similarly. I can get alarms and control all aspects on my cellphone. Even if they had to be hard wired together, that is not a problem as connections can be easily be made though cabinets.
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote