Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Ok, so someone asked that I let you know what I did regarding our 2 30# tanks. I took my tanks to the local Propane supplier to have mine recertified. I needed two new valves so with the recertification the price was $45 each plus propane. This would give them 5 more years before needing to be recerified again. A new tank was $39.95 plus propane. So, in our case the decision was simple. We purchased new steel tanks with a 12 year certification.

I always liked the looks of new aluminum tanks but ours are covered anyway so I really have a difficult time justifying the additional cost.

Thanks everyone. -John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
You CAN have the old none functional valve(s) replaced and then have the tanks re-certified at a propane dealer. They will then comply with the requirements at the Canadian and Mexican borders. The cost to re-certify and replace valves is minimal and the dealer will also refill the tanks at the same time. I have had this done several times with old 20# tanks for my gas grills as well as my 40# tanks on my trailer. Hope this helps, Ed

Not sure about US tanks in Canada.

I don't believe you will have any problem at all at the border, however i did some research a while back about the US built aluminum 30# tanks - I live in Canada.

What I learned from Canadian authorities, is that to qualify to be filled in Canada they need to be stamped both DOT and CSA. Ours are only stamped DOT not CSA, and so technically are not to be filled at a Canadian refilling station - don't ask me why!!

I suspect a lot of Canadian propane filling people won't know or won't care and will only look to see if the bottles are "in date." That has been my experience anyway, although I have encountered some places that won't fill them. Not really a problem for us as we camp more in the US than in Canada anyway!

Incidentally I just had my two tanks re-certified last month when at Land Yacht Harbor Airstream Park in Melbourne Fla. They have a person on site who fills bottles and is qualified to certify. The bottles were 12 years old - cost me $10 each for that, and they are now ok for five more years when they must be certified again.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I just had my 2 aluminum 30# bottles recertified and while there noticed they had new aluminum tanks cheaper than what I'd seen online. Something like $170. The aluminum bottles will ruin you in comparison to the steel ones. I think recertification was 25 each.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Re-Cert Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Not sure about US tanks in Canada.

I don't believe you will have any problem at all at the border, however i did some research a while back about the US built aluminum 30# tanks - I live in Canada.

What I learned from Canadian authorities, is that to qualify to be filled in Canada they need to be stamped both DOT and CSA. Ours are only stamped DOT not CSA, and so technically are not to be filled at a Canadian refilling station - don't ask me why!!

I suspect a lot of Canadian propane filling people won't know or won't care and will only look to see if the bottles are "in date." That has been my experience anyway, although I have encountered some places that won't fill them. Not really a problem for us as we camp more in the US than in Canada anyway!

Incidentally I just had my two tanks re-certified last month when at Land Yacht Harbor Airstream Park in Melbourne Fla. They have a person on site who fills bottles and is qualified to certify. The bottles were 12 years old - cost me $10 each for that, and they are now ok for five more years when they must be certified again.
Brian, I was lead to believe that if U.S. DOT bottles were taken in to be Certified at a Canadian Propane Dealer (not a fill station operator) that they were able to add the Canada Stamp to the bottles at the time of inspection/re-certification. Is this not true? I lived in Michigan and traveled in Canada many times when I was younger but always tent camped at the time. I think someone on the Forums may have an answer to this issue so hopefully they will chime in. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
I just had my 2 aluminum 30# bottles recertified and while there noticed they had new aluminum tanks cheaper than what I'd seen online. Something like $170. The aluminum bottles will ruin you in comparison to the steel ones. I think recertification was 25 each.
I bought my aluminum 40# tanks from the local Amerigas Dealer in Davenport, Iowa and paid them $135.00 each. I thought it was a very good price. I had seen them for $185.00 and up as they are Worthington tanks.Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote