Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Should Propane Regulator be a maintenance item?

So, I don't think I have seen this discussed before, but another thread triggered a question. We all talk about replacing tires at a certain age (5 - 7 years) due to potential compromised rubber.
Then we discuss whether to run with your propane turned on (fridge running). Some folks indicate that sometimes regulators don't due their job (leak at the diaphragm or don't sense excessive flow).

So, the question is: Should we replace our regulators at some general age to prevent a failure?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Mine is 10 years old now and we never turn the gass off. Frig is always on when we are moving and when connected to shore power.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
As I remember, my 1972 pop-up regulator went bad (heard hissing of leaking gas during a food stop) in 1986. sold it in 1993 with the second regulator still in service.

My 1993 SOB needed a new regulator in about 2005 (IIRC it wouldn't switch over automatically or manually between tanks). Was sold in 2010 with the second regulator still in service.

So about 12 - 14 years of intermittent use and they failed. Is there any consensus as to expected life? 10 years to be safe? What has been your experiences?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have never had one actually fail, but have replaced most all of mine if they were 20 years old or more, on the general principle that safety is more important than money.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Mine appears to be origional, that would make it at least 48 years old. It is still working just fine. So I would say no need to replace one just for the PM of it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
dznf0g,
On my old trailer, I replaced the regulator 2 times in 23 years. Or, every 11.5 years on an average. I waited till mine failed before replacing, both times. The last one is probably still in service.

AWCHIEF,
Wow, hold on to that one. It's one in a million!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
AFAIK mine is the OEM unit and is 37 years old. FWIW the one on my house is pushing 50...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bluto, the whole trailer is a keeper.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Ah, I have a question about regulators. I am not sure what type I have but it is original and six years old. The guy at Campingworld shared that I would do good to get a dual regulator. What kind does AS have? Does it matter if it works?
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Ah, I have a question about regulators. I am not sure what type I have but it is original and six years old. The guy at Campingworld shared that I would do good to get a dual regulator. What kind does AS have? Does it matter if it works?
Most Airstreams I have seen come with dual tank regulators. He may be referring to the dual pressure regulator. If you have an old Airstream they aren't going to provide enough pressure to the inside appliances. Somewhere along the way the standards changed to "low pressure" for inside appliances and high pressure for outside stoves and such. I had this on a 2000 Coleman popup. PITA to deal with IMHO.

I see you have a newer AS. I would think that your factory regulator is still in good shape and wouldn't need replacing anytime soon.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Most propane regulators have a diaphram, a spring and a vent. Not much to go wrong. Sometimes when the diaphram ruptures or fails the gas will vent to the atmosphere. Sometimes the springs lose their tension and I forget if this increases or decreases the pressure. You can get diaphrams at different ratings or change the spring in yours if you need more or less pressure. Usually a repair like this is not cost effective.

Dan
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Comprehensive answer here:

http://www.propanecouncil.org/upload...Regulators.pdf

In short the standard recommendation is replacement after 15 years, but the science doesn't support it and suggests that replacement isn't really warranted on age alone until 20-25 years.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
BJE

1977 29' Ambassador
Shelley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Mine appears to be origional, that would make it at least 48 years old. It is still working just fine. So I would say no need to replace one just for the PM of it.
I just replaced my original 35 year old single stage regulator with a new dual stage regulator on the advice of my propane supplier who told me that if a single stage regulator fails there is nothing to stop 100+ psi propane from damaging appliances. Also that all new trailers are required to have dual stage regulators. I figured it was worth changing it for safety.
BJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I don't worry about the regulator
as much as the pigtail rubber gas lines between tanks and regulator. There is lots of opportunity for leaks there over time.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If my 48 year old single stage regulator ever craps out I will forced to buy a new double stage unit, but until then I will just keep what I have. All my lines are solid and I worry more about flex cracks in them more than the regulator going out.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I don't worry about the regulator
as much as the pigtail rubber gas lines between tanks and regulator. There is lots of opportunity for leaks there over time.
How often do those need replaced? Mine are pretty inflexible (if they are supposed to be) and six years old. Just curious.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I think hoses deteriorate much more so than the regulator itself. I recently replaced both our regulator and hoses (original from 1996 or 1997). I did some internet research and the consensus was for a 15 year replacement recommendation. In reality, I think that is more to sell new regulators. Either they work or they don't and the new one I bought was set at too low of a pressure from the factory to properly operate our fridge on gas. I had to have a technician recalibrate it. That cost more then the regulator!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
How often do those need replaced? Mine are pretty inflexible (if they are supposed to be) and six years old. Just curious.
Given the fact that most of the rubber hoses are exposed to UV I think every 3-5 years isn't unreasonable. Go check out a new set and compare them to the old set in terms of flexibility and condition. They are relatively inexpensive, so IMHO it would be cheap insurance to change them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
I think hoses deteriorate much more so than the regulator itself. I recently replaced both our regulator and hoses (original from 1996 or 1997). I did some internet research and the consensus was for a 15 year replacement recommendation. In reality, I think that is more to sell new regulators. Either they work or they don't and the new one I bought was set at too low of a pressure from the factory to properly operate our fridge on gas. I had to have a technician recalibrate it. That cost more then the regulator!
Not necessarily. The first failure I described in post#1 was rather disturbing. It was leaking propane in a rather large volume. Loud hissing drew may attention to it as soon as I stepped out of the car. That one bothered me from a safety standpoint.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My hoses are dry and brittle, and the automatic switchover doesn't indicate that it switched tanks (it does in fact switch, but doesn't tell me so). I definitely need to spend the ~$70 and replace all three. It's really not worth the hassle. I even have the yellow thread tape to do it. Mine are ~17 years old at this point.

We also replaced the regulator in the B190 at one point - turned out it was leaking a bit. That was a '91 so it was probably about the same age (17 years) when that happened.

From my sample of size two, it appears 17 years is the sweet spot... or should that be the "mercaptan spot"?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote