Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2004, 01:56 AM   #1
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Securing Aluminum Tanks

When aluminum tanks went on sale at Airstream Dreams I figured that was my cue to break down and buy a pair. They arrived the other day and I'm in the process of polishing them. How are folks securing their new, freshly polished tanks to the trailer to keep them where they belong? I'd sure hate to lose them..

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:19 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
When aluminum tanks went on sale at Airstream Dreams I figured that was my cue to break down and buy a pair. They arrived the other day and I'm in the process of polishing them. How are folks securing their new, freshly polished tanks to the trailer to keep them where they belong? I'd sure hate to lose them..

FF
After having had my tanks come loose and dragging one for a few miles , I promptly bought four 19" black stretch cords, two for each tank. You can bet that tank security is one of the "pre-flight" checks I now routinely make. That includes the condition of the stretch cords. Not pretty, but effective.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:42 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
brad

you may be able to use the holes in the base ring to fashion a locking pin arrangement. it could pass through the ring on the tounge and the base ring on the tank.

would make a good out of sight anti theft device!

john
Old 07-15-2004, 05:55 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Brad,

You will need to verify the thread size but, when we full timed I used a Yakima threaded bolt lock. It was threaded on the hold down shaft and acted like a jam nut to the spinner handle. Once in place and locked it was going to be very difficult to remove it, or the bottles since I had pressure on them with the hold down. It was one extra key, but I did not have to worry that my 30 LB Aluminum tanks were going to get legs.....
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:35 AM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Brett,

That sounds like the solution I had in mind. Do you have a picture of this device in action on your trailer? An aluminum tank with legs would be a terrible sight...

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:14 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
On my 74 Argosy (22ft) there is a long shaft inbetween the tanks and a "T" bracket that is held down with a Nut. I have a threaded nut with a cover that when on and the locking key is removed allows the cover to turn free, and no access to the holding nut. I have seen several times , Marks on the edges of my tanks, but I still have them.
Believe it or not on my towing vehicle we had an old car cover, ....someone stole it. Blessings upon them because it was destined for the garbage.
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:51 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Flyfshr,
When I replaced the old metal tanks on my 64 overlander with new polished alumimum tanks, I was also worried about the possibility of losing them. I had two concerns; the first was me failing to tighten the lock down bar after a propane refill and the second was a failure of the threaded rod that the lock down bar mounts to. I wanted a backup method that worked independently from the primary lock down hardware. The solution I came up with was found in the electrical section of Home Depot. It consists of a cad plated crows foot clamp and bolt that grips the cylinder mounting ring on the trailer frame with the crows foot and the bolt screws down and locks on the heavy aluminum ring that makes up the base of the tank. This arrangement locks the cylinder to the trailer mounting ring and gives a nice tidy backup solution. The clamp can be seen just below the cylinder in the following picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cylinderlockdown.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	7753  
Old 07-15-2004, 10:28 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Mark,
Can you take a close-up of the device you described. There's a Home Depot right up the street

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Flyfshr,
I will blow up the picture I previously posted. I do not have a picture available of the clamp from a side view, but it is shaped like a "u" when viewed from the side and has a square headed bolt that threads in from the back side. You would actually tighten the bolt from under the cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cylinderclamp2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	7765  
Old 07-16-2004, 10:11 AM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
A word of caution for old trailer owners:
The hold down rod on my 1963 Overlander snapped right off at the base when I tried to undo the winged screw on teh top of the rod. Id did not look bad, and there was no evidence of corrosion near the bottom, just on the top where the winged nut got rusty on the treads.
My advice would be to replace this rod soon if you have not already done so.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Securing Aluminum Tanks

Greetings Uwe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
A word of caution for old trailer owners:
The hold down rod on my 1963 Overlander snapped right off at the base when I tried to undo the winged screw on teh top of the rod. Id did not look bad, and there was no evidence of corrosion near the bottom, just on the top where the winged nut got rusty on the treads.
My advice would be to replace this rod soon if you have not already done so.
I second the advice - - I had the same experience with both my '64 Overlander and '78 Minuet. The Minuet was well behaved, and this repair was required when removing tanks for filling while parked in my home driveway - - the one on the Overlander failed while in the wilds of South Dakota. Checking these brackets is now on my regular maintenance check-list.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I use a 6' Kryptonite vinyl covered steel cable with a loop on each end. I run one end of the cable through the collars and then run that end through the loop on the other end. I then lock it to the connection the chains are attached to with a large stainless steel Master padlock. So far so good.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

It's unfortunate that the manufacturer of the aluminum tanks couldn't just put a ring at the bottom of the tank that has say 4 round holes in it so securing the tanks would be easy for anyone. I suppose one could have such a ring added to the bottom if you know a good welding shop.

On another note my local propane supplier has informed me that he is able to get steel tanks that are chromed. The cost is around $120 for a 30 pounder.

Anyone else have an outlet for these and do you think a chrome tank would be just as good as a polished aluminum tank?

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have always heard that chroming or nickle plating certain auto parts will actually weaken them but they have nickle plated and hard chromed semi-auto pistol frames/slides for years to resist the weather as well as sweat from hands without ill effects. The bad part about chroming is that a single imperfection or nick will set up rust at the site and then you are done for. I would be more inclined to just re-polish from time to time to keep them looking good although my aluminum tanks are still in the buff.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I know that the price difference isn't far apart. I know that you’re right about the rust setting up. Actually if you ever look at an older car bumper it will start pitting and this just seems to be the way it is.

I know that all the mag wheels I now place on any of my vehicles are aluminum instead of the chromed wheels.

Guess I will spend the extra bucks and opt for the aluminum tanks too. Thanks for your input Craig.

Once I get them I will decide if I want to have some type of device added to the bottom to keep them secure.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:47 PM   #16
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I am fortunate in that my tongue has room to acommodate the spare and a vinyl coated cable does a nice job of securing tanks and spare. Simple but effective so far.
Nothing is foolproof and thiefs are fools.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote