Old 04-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Running Power for the Mascerator Pump

I need to run 12v / 20amp power to the sewer outlet location to power my mascerator pump, has anyone ever done this, do you know where I can get power?

Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Macerator Power

I ran power to the macerator via an 8 gauge cable a couple of months ago.

Do not skimp on the diameter of the power cable. Carefully measure the length of the proposed line route, add a couple of feet, and find the proper gauge on one of several 12 volt voltage loss calculators on the web. Use the full 20 amp draw for the calculation. Be sure to properly fuse the power cable at the battery tie in point.

I tied in to the power at the battery, ran the cable externally under the belly wrap, and came up to the storage compartment closest to the sewer dump by drilling a hole through the floor and down through the belly pan.

I will be back to the trailer in a couple of days and will shoot some pics.

To me, using the 1 1/2" power macerator hose is MUCH easier than wrestling a 3" gravity drain hose. Cleanup is much easier also.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Thanks Dennis.

I plan to pump from my tanks up into a tote mounted on a front bumper cargo carrier on the TV to offload my tanks without moving the trailer.

Question, did you run one lead or 2? They are calling for 10 guage wire, but i think I can just get a ground from the trailer and one hot from the battery?

Also, they call for a fuse, I guess i will need to put that inline.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
My fridge is a true 3-way. I do not use the 12 volt option (yet). I used the pre-wired #10 wiring that was above my sanitary drain station in the external fridge access door. I terminated the wires to a post block and use the clips from the macerator kit. I got lucky, but see if you can too.
fordfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Matthews , North Carolina
I have a FloJet mascerator.

I have the supplied power source wiring coming off the bus bar in the exterior refrigerator compartment. It's very convenient. I can send pix latter if you want. I just coil up the wire along the side of the compartment when it's not in use.

One caution….make sure the refrigerator is selected OFF before mascerating.

I learned this lesson the first time I used it. I blew a fuse and didn't realize what happened at the time.
daboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I plan to have the dealer do the install along with a back up camera. I am very handy, I just can't see myself drilling into a new Airstream...