Old 07-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Rubber gas lines okay?

I recently read an article in RV magazine about replacing a refrigerator in a motor home and was surprised to see that the gas supply lines were rubber with factory crimped fittings going into a black pipe manifold system in the motor home "basement". All I have seen in trailers are copper lines and flared fittings other than at the tank to regulator lines . Are the rubber lines ok for the final hookup instead of copper? Sure would make replacing my next appliance easier.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Site Team

, Minnesota
I've used rubber hose from the regulator to the main line, but a custom made, DOT qualified rubber gas hose is expensive.
Not a DIY project unless you work for a propane dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 07-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Good old soft copper works good, flares easily, and readily available. The 3/8 OD, 1/4 ID copper tubing seems to thread through the tight spaces pretty good. It will bend to about 1 1/2 radius with a bender. I ran soft copper in my 66 without much difficulty.

David
Old 07-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I was up under a new SOB the other day, ALL of the LP lines are now rubber... FWIW back in the 70's and 80's the Airstreams were full copper on the LP lines.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
I' ve heard of folks inserting lp lines in rubber hoses to protect the copper from stones. Not sure I would just have a rubber hose. Doesn't sound safe.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
rubber propane hoses

The squirrels chewed thru my rubber feed lines. I covered the new ones with automotive wiring covers and empty the lines when the trailer is not in use. squirrels will chew thru steel wool to get to a food source. they chewed thru an OSB shed door to get to my bird seed in steel can. joe q
Old 07-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
I've had rubber lines made at the propane dealer before and they were not that expensive especially when compared to the price of copper line now. I've got one I might have to replace that will be a real challenge to bend.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:49 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqin View Post
The squirrels chewed thru my rubber feed lines. I covered the new ones with automotive wiring covers and empty the lines when the trailer is not in use. squirrels will chew thru steel wool to get to a food source. they chewed thru an OSB shed door to get to my bird seed in steel can. joe q
Crap! I forgot about that issue... I had a popup and was using a Mr Heater Buddy heater with the hose under the canvas to a bulk tank outside. Squirrels chewed up the line. I covered the new line with reinforced clear water hose.

Now you have me thinking about the rubber LP lines on the SOB... just one more thing to stay on top of.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
My outdoor grill has a rubber propane line. The squirrels chewed a hole in that line too. But only once in 10 years. Hydraulic lines have been rubber for years in HD construction equipment. I should think rubber hose in propane applications would be well developed. Kinda wish I had given some consideration to rubber instead of copper.

David
Old 07-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
I recently read an article in RV magazine about replacing a refrigerator in a motor home and was surprised to see that the gas supply lines were rubber with factory crimped fittings going into a black pipe manifold system in the motor home "basement". All I have seen in trailers are copper lines and flared fittings other than at the tank to regulator lines . Are the rubber lines ok for the final hookup instead of copper? Sure would make replacing my next appliance easier.
This is a labor and therefore cost saving approach with lower quality than copper.

Copper will last 100 years. Rubber lines with propane inside... it depends. 10 years, maybe 20. The propane causes the rubber to degrade, so they use either a nylon barrier layer or much thicker rubber (so it takes longer to degrade all of it). Won't last "forever" either way.

Rodents, yes, a problem, usual answer is stainless steel overbraid although that costs money.