Old 11-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Williamsburg , Virginia
rotten egg smell when furnace is running

When the furnace is running a rotten egg smell is coming from the furnace. Is it a gas leak or a exhaust leak? How can I isolate where it's coming from? Is it possible to remove the furnace and serive it out of the trailer?

Old 11-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
I would shut that furnace off immediate and have it checked out tomorrow if possible. Are you in a campground with electricity available, if so a couple of ceramic heaters will do a good job until you can get the furnace fixed? I would also shut the tanks off as well.

63silver

Old 11-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
I agree absolutely! That rotten egg smell is probably mercaptan, a chemical added to propane to give it a distinctive odor.

Turn off all of your propane appliances (furnace, stove, water heater), and close the main valve from the propane cylinder(s). Don't use any of the appliances until you have the leak fixed.

Lynn
Old 11-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
The furnaces I have seen in these campers tend to come out without a great deal of fuss. Definitely find the leak and keep the gas off. Good luck
Old 11-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul903 View Post
When the furnace is running a rotten egg smell is coming from the furnace. Is it a gas leak or a exhaust leak? How can I isolate where it's coming from? Is it possible to remove the furnace and serive it out of the trailer?
The furnace may have an LPG leak, or the burner may be out of adjustment, or it may need gaskets.

The combustion chamber may also have a hole in it, which means you would have to replace the furnace.

DO NOT under any circumstances, use your furnace again.

To be safe, it must be removed from the trailer, and taken apart on a bench, to find out the real problem.

Since the exact cause of the smell is not known at this time, you are dealing with a possible explosive hazard, until repairs are made.

Furnaces should be removed every 5 years or so, and bench examined.

Andy