Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2018, 06:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Tell them you need new OPD valves (overfill protection device).
similar to this>
https://www.amazon.com/Cavagna-82-9-...ords=opd+valve
My local propane supplier refurbished my 40 lb tanks with new OPDs and recertified them a few years ago. Cost me around $50 each.

You will need new pigtail hoses to fit them (goes between the ODP and the regulator). Pigtail length varies with placement of regulator/tanks.
Example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DC1KYGQ...i-a=B07DC1KYGQ

If there is another flexible hose between the regulator and the copper/hard pipe, might as well replace it too.

If you told them to refurbish the regulator, they will not do that. Regulators are generally replaced when they malfunction.
This is the one I used>
https://www.amazon.com/MARSH-EXCEL-M...tage+regulator

The old gauges were a combination dial gauge and an electronic sending unit. I have been unable to find a source in a long time. (Worthington used to, you could call them) Some people have replaced them with a sending unit for an oil pressure gauge from a GM engine. I do not know the details. I've seen the gauge holes plugged with pipe plugs.
https://worthingtonindustries.com/Pr...pane-Cylinders
Old 10-31-2018, 07:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
THey may think you're crazy because you're asking the wrong question. WHat you want to know is about replacing the old-style valves with OPD valves.

It is not a difficult job per se, though your dealer will want to know the "DT" figure that is stamped into the collar of your cylinders. That number will tell them which OPD valves to order for you.

Since you still have the old valves, I assume that your cylinders are also beyond their certification date. This being the case, you'll want to have the cylinders recertified while in the shop for the new valves. (Visual recertification is often free of charge, but you'll need to fill your cylinders at that place as a courtesy.) For recert, be sure your cylinders are in good condition: No bends (especially along the collars and base), no corrosion, etc.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer3 View Post
Hi all!

I have two original 40# aluminum tanks from my 1968 Overlander. Been on the phone with about half a dozen propane suppliers and have visited two in person. They all think I'm crazy when I ask them to retrofit my tanks for the new regulator! No one has any idea how to do what I'm talking about. I believe the new regulators are female and my hookup is also female (maybe I got this backwards?) and I need new gauges and recert. It seems to me like it wouldn't be that hard but all I've ever gotten is blank stares and shaking heads.

Thoughts?? I've tried Ferrelgas and Amerigas and some local places. I'm in Santa Cruz CA for reference!