Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Repair/Replace tank valve

The valve on our 1984 MH's propane tank leaks. I discover this when I removed the cooktop in preparation for installing a new SMEV unit. Although I shut the valve on the tank completely off, there was still a slight flow of gas from the supply line for the cooktop. I purchase a plug for that line and stopped the flow.

BUT, it seems like I really should be able to shut the gas off. What's involved in repairing/replacing this valve. Is this something I should try? If not what type of service business could/would do this?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Gas Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99 View Post
I shut the valve on the tank completely off, there was still a slight flow of gas from the supply line for the cooktop.
With the main valve at the tank OFF, you might want to run something that burns gas to empty the lines. Then after a while, without turning the valve on, see if you can get that same appliance to start back up ( a day or so). In other words see if the line is filling back up. Just smelling gas in open lines does not mean you have a leak. The smell of gas permeates the walls of the gas lines and you will have that smell.

If you are then sure it is the main valve, an RV dealership should be able to change that valve. We do it here all the time. It is not all that hard. You have to drain the tank, and take any protector shelf out of the way. Then you get a wrench and take out the valve. You don't want any sparks. I say again, you don't want any sparks!!!!!!

Here is a link to the valve.

Dan

Old 11-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Are you sure the valve is leaking and not just the gas remaining in the lines bleeding off one you removed the stove.

The way to check is remove the hose at the tank and spray a soapy solution across the valve opening. If you can not keep the valve covered with the soap you have a leak. I would be surprised if the tank valve is leaking.

If you do have a leaking valve take the tank to any propane dealer for a replacement. If you do transport the tank with a leak do it in a pick up truck not in your car.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
If I were going to change the main valve I would also change the relief Valve

Here is a link to the Relief Valve.

Dan
Old 11-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I'm very sure the valve is leaking, as is the RV Tech I had check my installation for safety.

I lit my old cooktop, then turned the tank valve off, then allowed the stove to burn out. Removed stove and had strong propane smell. Put plug in cooktop connection. Smell dissipated then stopped. No more odor that day or the next until removing the plug when the odor immediately appeared. Hook up to new cooktop, order gone.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 11-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Are you sure the valve is leaking and not just the gas remaining in the lines bleeding off one you removed the stove.

The way to check is remove the hose at the tank and spray a soapy solution across the valve opening. If you can not keep the valve covered with the soap you have a leak. I would be surprised if the tank valve is leaking.

If you do have a leaking valve take the tank to any propane dealer for a replacement. If you do transport the tank with a leak do it in a pick up truck not in your car.
This tank is in a motorhome and quite large. I need the valve replaced with the tank installed in the motorhome.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I'd take it to a full-service propane company, not to an RV outfit. You may have to visit a couple of them.

If they have to remove the cylinder, go ahead and have them clean and paint it at the same time.

Lynn
Old 11-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Source for LP Tank Valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4odm View Post
If I were going to change the main valve I would also change the relief Valve

Here is a link to the Relief Valve.

Dan

OK, I ordered the Relief Valve and the Main Valve.

Looks like I'm going to have to find a RV shop to install them since neither of the local Propane companies will work on RV's.

Does anyone have a source for the tank gauge? Seems like a good idea to replace it while I'm replacing the valves.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I think I would remove the tank and take it to a propane shop. I haven't found many RV shops I would let work on my RV let alone propane

Old 11-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
I think I would remove the tank and take it to a propane shop. I haven't found many RV shops I would let work on my RV let alone propane
This tank is quite large - I just filled it from empty and it took 26.4 gallons. Not really sure if I am up to removing it and man handling to the propane place. The there is the issue that the shut off valve leaks... Even if the tank was 'empty' there would still be residual gas.

Also, I asked the local guy if I could take it off of the MH and bring it in. They said no.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not sure what kind of propane shop you have in Ca. but replacing valves is a common practice since the new valves were introduced a few years back.

The tank will have to be empty before the valve is removed. As long as the local valve on each appliance is working I would use the gas you just bought and continue to look for a more cooperative propane shop.

Maybe contact a National Propane Asso. for advice on a member willing to work on a tank.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Not sure what kind of propane shop you have in Ca. but replacing valves is a common practice since the new valves were introduced a few years back.

The tank will have to be empty before the valve is removed. As long as the local valve on each appliance is working I would use the gas you just bought and continue to look for a more cooperative propane shop.

Maybe contact a National Propane Asso. for advice on a member willing to work on a tank.
In a few weeks we'll be heading for Mexico, traveling through Arizona. I expect that I should be able to find someone to take care of this for me in Quartzsite or Yuma.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
You have an ASME horizontal tank on your motorhome, don't you? You might give the local forklift dealers a call and ask who they have service their built-in tanks on their big forklifts. That would be who I would choose to have examine my tank. There is no way you are going to horse that two hundred pound tank out of your MH by yourself!

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote