Old 08-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Remove Propane System?

I've considered removing all propane systems from my coach and going all electric.

Anyone else done this? I've searched with no results...

I know there's a concern with plumbing in the winter, but I am in Texas and will winterize the trailer and store in the winter months. IF I were ever to need it in the winter, I'd cross that bridge when I came to it, likely with some type of under-floor forced air heating.

I'd plan to upgrade to 50 amp service, and add an electric tankless water heater, electric stove, electric fridge, and a micro-convection oven.

Just starting to consider. Haven't put anything on paper yet to see if it's feasable...

Thoughts?

Old 08-10-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Thoughts on going all electric.....

It depends on how you plan to use the trailer....

Boondocking would be severly restricted with all electric appliances -- sometimes you get to a spot and want to stay RIGHT THERE!

Some National Parks have water only sites -

Another downer is lack of 50 amp services everywhere -- granted, there are more every day, but a lot of parks (National and State) have only 30 amp, or a really limited number of 50's. Same thing with the AS parks - mostly 30's.

BUT...if you have your own spot where it will be more or less "permanently" parked - go for it.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
It s feasible, but you will have to balance the loads to be able to run it all on a 50 AMP service.

A 50 Amp service is not a 2 phase service like we have in our homes. It is simply a 30 amp on one lug and a 20 amp on the other. Each lug goes to an individual buss bar in the breaker box.

Air Conditioning draws 20 maps depending on model, Refer draws 3-5 amps if you go with a household compressor type, Micro convection over draws 10 amps, 110 Volt cook top draws 10-20 amps, and the water heater is a 15 amp minimum.

So really the situation is with a 50 amp service you can pick 2 items to run in addition to the refer. The AC and the water heater, or Stove and micro, or AC and micro. You catch my drift? You will have to plan what items are on what side of the buss bar and hope that you never want to run the AC, the WH and the Micro at the same time.................

Why do you want to convert?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Brett I'm not sure I agree with what I think you just said.
My understanding is a 50 amp service is 240 Vac it consists of the following.
1.) A ground wire
2.) A neutral wire
3.) Two hot wires

The ground wire is for just that, a safety ground.
The neutral wire and either 'Hot' wire constitutes a 120 Vac circuit capable of delivering a 25 amp Load.
Two 'Hot' wires and the neutral totals 2 - 25 amp circuits, Hence 50 amps.
When using a 240 Vac device do not exceed 50 amps total load.
When using a 120 Vac device do not exceed 25 Amps per leg.
You must limit usage to 50 amps total load in combination with the 120 Vac loads and the 240 Vac loads.
The balance does not matter just the total load.
You should always be careful to check that the wire you are using will carry that amount of current at the rated voltage.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Gary,

You are correct if you are thinking of a standard 50 amp, 2 phase, circuit in a home. The breaker in the panel is actually 2 breakers that carry the amperage (25 amps each).

In a campground setup I have seen them 2 ways.

In both cases they are in phase. One is as a 50 amp circuit that is an individual breaker that consists of a 30 and a 20 amp circuit breaker ganged together, or made that way. One leg is 30 amp, one is 20 amp, one is a neutral, and the ground is a ground.

The other style I have seen is where there is a 50 amp outlet, but they are jumpered internally from the 30 and 20 amp standard breakers in the panel. Both breakers have to be on for the full 50 amp draw to happen.

Quote:
The balance does not matter just the total load.
In a home 2 phase situation I would agree, but in a campground situation using the RVIA style wiring the loads will be fed through individual breakers from the pedestal. This creates a need to either balance the load on each circuit or, I doubt this is code correct, tie both the hot legs to one buss bar to make the 50 amp total available on a single buss.

In most 50 amp setups on a MH the whole coach runs off the 30 amp leg, the second AC is what is run off the 20 amp leg. No 50 amp, you can only run one AC unless you have some special hardware installed.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 08-10-2004, 02:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
OK... Wow.
Seems like a strage way to do it to me, but if that the way it is.

TKS.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
OK... Wow.
Seems like a strage way to do it to me, but if that the way it is.
It took me a while to figure it out, then I saw this at CW

One leg is 30 amp, the other is a 20 amp. If the legs were not isolated this could cause a "you light up my life" kinda experience
Attached Images

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #8
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Hmmm... Thanks for the answers! I believe I'll be keeping the propane.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:27 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Question Why switch FROM gas?

I can't imagine switching from propane to electric for these mostly heating loads - propane is so much more efficient in terms of BTU's/$ and gas heats so much better. As an example, when I bought my Safari in April it had one empty and one partially (maybe 1/2 at most) filled tank and I decided to use up that tank before switching them out for the aluminum Worthingtons with OPD valves. I camped all the way back to the west coast, using the furnace and stove, have been camping frequently since then, am currently on the road - and the darned tank STILL isn't empty! Amazingly efficient source of energy.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I would think that changing to a total electric camper would cause a limitation somewhere down the road. While I do like the On-Demand Hot Water Heater for household use I do think it is impratical for use ina coamper. The amperage draw is high when in use and it would almost say turn everything else off.

Considering that certain parts of the camper would definately have to be rewired suchg as for the placement of an electric rangetop, etc I would think all that work would just not be worth it.

However, It's your rig and if you think that it will better serve you in that manner, then go for it. Just make sure that your meeting or exceeding all the amp requirements so you don't accendently catch yourself on fire.

Good Luck if you decide to change it

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:10 AM   #11
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Again... Definately will not be doing this. The propane system will stay.

Thanks for all the input!!