Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
The Sturgis regulators installed on the late production 2016's were recalled, but I suspect your problem may be caused by another issue with them that I discovered. On mine (and at least one other that I replaced for another forum member), the switchover lever had some "springback" that caused the lever to slowly move back to an intermediate position that shut off the gas flow. On the bad units, when you move the lever to select the primary cylinder, you will feel and see the lever move backwards bit when you release it. It will eventually shut off. Rotating it to the other cylinder makes everything work for a while until it shuts off again. The time can range from 15-20 minutes to a couple hours. I confirmed this by taping the lever in place - gas was still working 8 hours later.

This is not what the regulator was recalled for, but it is likely the issue you had if you have a Sturgis regulator. Replace it with a Cavegna or Marshall.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattydoug View Post
The switch over function is basically a pressure sensing device that senses the pressure in the lines on each side. If you open the valve on the standby tank first the regulator can become "confused" and not "see" the low pressure on the tank in use. This is easy to do when you arrive at your rv site after traveling. Bottom line is don't be too sure your regulator is bad. Too many variables at this point. Have both tanks filled, hook them back up; select your running tank on the selector, then open that tanks valve first, then the standby tank. Indicator should show green. Then close the running tanks valve and turn your stove on. Regulator should see low pressure on the "running" tank and switch to the standby and the indicator should turn red. If it does it is working.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Thanks for this. I had the same problem with green showing and waking to empty tanks and no chance for coffee. When I took the TT in for some warranty work the AS dealer said they checked the regulator function, auto switchover and found all to be good. They didn't tell me about sequence of opening tank valves or opening them slowly so hopefully this will restore my confidence in using the auto switchover function.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Paso Robles , California
some 2016 regulators have been recalled

We have a 2016 Serenity. Heading to the dealer this Friday to have our recalled regulator replaced. Check with your dealer to see if your coach falls under the recall. Good luck!
Mrmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
The Sturgis regulators installed on the late production 2016's were recalled, but I suspect your problem may be caused by another issue with them that I discovered. On mine (and at least one other that I replaced for another forum member), the switchover lever had some "springback" that caused the lever to slowly move back to an intermediate position that shut off the gas flow. On the bad units, when you move the lever to select the primary cylinder, you will feel and see the lever move backwards bit when you release it. It will eventually shut off. Rotating it to the other cylinder makes everything work for a while until it shuts off again. The time can range from 15-20 minutes to a couple hours. I confirmed this by taping the lever in place - gas was still working 8 hours later.

This is not what the regulator was recalled for, but it is likely the issue you had if you have a Sturgis regulator. Replace it with a Cavegna or Marshall.

Thanks. If it happens again, I'll replace the regulator as you suggest.

Richard
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:43 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
By the way, I just packed up to store the beast, and when I shut off both gas valves, the indicator remained green. I shut off the reserve tank first. Is this normal behavior?
Old 01-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
By the way, I just packed up to store the beast, and when I shut off both gas valves, the indicator remained green. I shut off the reserve tank first. Is this normal behavior?
Yes, it will stay green until pressure is lost in the lines between the yanks and regulator. If you turn on the stove, it will turn red in a couple of minutes.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
At my first rally a nice gentleman with a vintage trailer came over to look at mine, a new to me used model. He shared several tips with me. One was to NOT use the auto switching feature on a regulator. The reason being that if you open both tanks it can empty both tanks before you know it and then you are out without warning. I ran out my first trip but partly because one of the lines had a leaky connection.

Now, I have a gauged tank that I use first with the other valve turned off. I switch over when needed and fill the tank with the gauge as needed. The heater uses a lot of propane.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
At my first rally a nice gentleman with a vintage trailer came over to look at mine, a new to me used model. He shared several tips with me. One was to NOT use the auto switching feature on a regulator. The reason being that if you open both tanks it can empty both tanks before you know it and then you are out without warning. I ran out my first trip but partly because one of the lines had a leaky connection.

Now, I have a gauged tank that I use first with the other valve turned off. I switch over when needed and fill the tank with the gauge as needed. The heater uses a lot of propane.
Well, the leak would have to be in the regulator itself, or downstream to drain both tanks. And you do/can have warnings:
1) odor
2) many of us have tank gauges and/or inside tank gauge monitors.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Well, the leak would have to be in the regulator itself, or downstream to drain both tanks. And you do/can have warnings:
1) odor
2) many of us have tank gauges and/or inside tank gauge monitors.
What sort of gauge do you use. Do you put a gauge on both tanks?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
My rig came from the factory with gauges on both 30 lb tanks. Readable gauge on the tank and a remote read on the panel inside. I guess they don't put them on any more...
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
My rig came from the factory with gauges on both 30 lb tanks. Readable gauge on the tank and a remote read on the panel inside. I guess they don't put them on any more...
Ditto, I think it is still standard on Classic....not sure about the rest.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
Here is the recall.

NHTSA Campaign ID: 15V761000
Manufacturer: Airstream, Inc.
Model Year: 2016
Make: AIRSTREAM
Model: CLASSIC
Recall Date: 11/17/2015
Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE:LPG LINES AND FITTINGS
Potential # of Units Affected: 904
Summary: Airstream, Inc. (Airstream) is recalling certain model year 2016 Classic, Flying Cloud, International, Sport, Eddie Bauer, and Land Yacht recreational trailers manufactured August 3, 2015, to November 13, 2015, and equipped with Auto Changeover Propane Gas Regulators. Propane gas may leak into the plastic gas level indicator window of the regulator causing it to degrade and crack.
Consequence: If the indicator window cracks, propane gas may leak out, increasing the risk of a fire.
Remedy: Airstream will notify owners, and dealers will replace the propane regulator and the required hoses, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Airstream customer service at 1-937-596-6111 extension 7401 or 7411.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Turbo Diesel 4x4
Vietnam Veteran Army 70 - 71
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
interesting!!.. also a good way to check for leaks in the system. If everything is off then the indicator should stay green for a long time. If you turn tanks off and everything is off and indicator goes to red real quick that could mean a leak some where in the system. maybe?

I know some regulators bleed a tiny bit of gas all the time to prevent bellows lock so how long would it take to go red.. I shall see next time at unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Yes, it will stay green until pressure is lost in the lines between the yanks and regulator. If you turn on the stove, it will turn red in a couple of minutes.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #34
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Maiden Voyage with 2015 23' FC FB Propane Regulator Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE729 View Post
I have a 2015. The regulator will switch over... But not click red. How did I find that out? When it was 10 degrees in Golden, CO. Kept checking regulator day and night... Green. Then it got REALLY cold in the airstream. Went and lifted both tanks and both were empty.

The red indicator works for me about 25% of the time. Will be getting it replaced when I get home. Don't trust the indicator.
We had the identical problem in northern New Mexico at 30 degrees in late April 2016. AS warranty won't replace until their approved tech checks it out. Closest AS tech is hundreds of miles away. Looks as if I'll need to replace it on my own and fight them for the $$ under the warranty agreement.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote