Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Colorado , Colorado
Refrigerator won't stay running on propane

1991 Excela having problems with the refrigerator staying running on propane. The refrigerator ignitor doesn't always start up the frig. I can use my handy BBQ lighter and it fires right off. The frig. will run for a day or two and then shuts off. I checked the ignitor in the dark and can see a small spark. Any suggestions.

Will this also cause my furnance not to ignite because my furnace failed to light the other night when the frig was not functioning. Is there a safety device that shuts off the propane once one unit fails to ignite.

Both propane bottles are full, gas stove works fine. Please help- it is suppose to snow tonight.
T Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had a problem with our frig not lighting a few years ago, took it in somewhere and they scraped buildup of some sort off the burner??.....I don't know exactly what, but you sound handier than me so may be able to look around and see.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 11-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would check (replace) the thermo couple. It may be covered with crud.
If yours has the circuit boards. You may try cleaning the connections.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Replace the reigniter. These are a known weak point.
Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Often temp dependent. $22 online!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would suspect the regulator or some restriction in the line. If you are having issues with both units, that is where I would look first. One way is to turn on a burner on the stove and watch it when you turn something on like the water heater or the furnace. If the flame gets really low when you do this, then you have a delivery problem. It could be a loose thermocouple but if you have problems with other appliances, then I would look elsewhere.

The thermocouple on older fridges provides current to keep a gas valve open. On the newer fridges, it feeds into a control board and it won't let the burn stay lit unless it senses heat. The control board shuts the burner off when the fridge is at temp and then the board opens the gas valve starts a little spark plug and ignites the flame. Dirt, wind, moisture or a bad control board can cause things not to work well.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote