Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Refrigerator on gas? What are we doing wrong?

We are still relative newbies here trying to figure out how to turn our refrigerator to gas?

We have turned the propane on and turned the fridge to LP and nothing?

Is there another valve somewhere or something we need to do?

It's a 2015 27' International if that matters

Appreciate any help here!!!
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don't know if ours are the same (2012 27FB Flying Cloud) but if ours has been sitting a while, it can take a few attempts at starting before the flame actually ignites. I open the propane tanks slowly (and check to be sure if you have dual tanks, you haven't run out of LP in the one that's selected) then flip the use/store switch to use then turn on the fridge and listen for the clicks to stop with the sound of a soft "whoosh" that tells me the flame is going.

Just note that sometimes the clicks stop without the "whoosh" and the fridge indicator flashes LP meaning - this didn't work, try again. So I shut the fridge off and turn it back on, repeating the cycle until I get that "whoosh" and the indicator is steady on a temp (usually 60 when first lit).

Hope that's helpful!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
Can you hear it trying to ignite? Are you getting an error message at all?

We often find if the tanks have been off, that we need to light the stove for a quick bit. That bleeds the line / makes sure there's no air & gets gas flowing. After that, we rarely experience problems.
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
This is how I set the refrig to propane.
- Turn the Use/Store switch to use.
- Turn on the propane
- Light the gas stove to purge air then turn off.
-Light the water heater to purge air, usually only running it until it lights.
- Turn on the refrig and set to Auto. If plugged in to shore power it will run on electricity. If not, it should go into LP mode. It may take a few on/off cycles to get the line purged. To force into LP mode, switch out of Auto.

If it still won't light you have have dust or bugs in your burner tube. A quick blast with compressed air should take care of that.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Another pointer... on our 2014 with the Dometic fridge, the flashing "LP" on the display of the fridge is the key that it didn't light. HOWEVER that warning alternates about every three or four seconds with the inside temperature reading when the fridge was last running. So... On more than one occasion when doing the walk through before departure I have looked at the display, seen something like "37", thought all was good only to discover later that the fridge hadn't lit. The solution is to take 10 seconds to watch the display and even to put an ear to the outside loitered door of the fridge to listen for the sound of a gas burner doing its thing.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
As others mention be first to check that you have propane. I do this by turning on my tanks and then I light my stove. If that lights then I know propane is flowing in the system. I then turn the refridge on. If I am not using electric it should default to propane. If the propane does not go off I turn the refridge off wait ten or fifth teen seconds and turn it back on. I may have to do it more ten once but that usually works or me
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Ours did this on our first trip. Tried numerous times to get it to work. Stopped at Walmart and bought a large cooler and ice and emptied the fridge. While at the campground, after our 300 mile trip and it started working. Hasn't missed a beat since.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
If all of the other comments don't help, have the pressure regulator from the propane tanks checked. If you see a weak flame on the stove, then that may be your problem. If the stove is putting out a strong flame, then it's probably not the regulator.
Ziggy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Coach
Birmingham , Alabama
Gunnrack

Sounds to me from what you said you have not switched to the use position from store.
jmgunn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Are the indicator lights on the fridge working? You still need electricity when on gas albeit 12VDC not 110VAC.

Is you main battery switch on? If so your trailer interior lights will work assuming the battery is charged, if they do not, your battery switch may be in the "store" position, or perhaps your coach batteries are flat?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
On our AS, it can take at least a dozen attempts turning fridge on and off before it finally lights. Sometimes on the 1st try - but others ..... Also - always get the stove going 1st so you know the gas is flowing.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Try blowing out the burner and flue area with compressed air. If it's been stored for a while you can get spiders and stuff in there. Pull the little metal cover off and give it a couple good blasts of air.

Always seems to bring mine back.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TomS is offline   Reply With Quote