Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Houston , Texas
refrigerator not working on Gas

Tried starting the refrigerator on gas, however does not want to light. Followed instructions to purge air by recycling the on off switch a few times, but no joy....

Any suggestions,

Dave
davinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Are other gas appliances working correctly?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Houston , Texas
Yes, both Furnace and two gas cooker rings are working normally.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Can you light it by hand? Will it stay lit or just go out when you release the over ride button?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Houston , Texas
Ah now you've got me.....how would I light this by hand?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am having the same problem with my Dometic RM360. Works great on AC but will not run/light on gas. Can I light the burner by hand? I can not see a spot where that looks possible.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I had this happen when I forgot to open the valve on the full tank and used up all the gas left in the line. The first thing to do is what has been suggested, move the gas along by turning on the burners on the stove. Then start the furnace.

Nothing happened. I discovered I had to turn off the fridge and turn in on before it would start. If left on, it already went through several cycles of trying to start on gas and won't reset on its own. Also I had to make sure I was not plugged into shore power (it will select that first) and the fridge was set on gas only. Make sure there is power to the fridge—opening the door will tell you whether the light goes on. Our Dometic has a temp read out and that should light when the fridge is turned on. No lights will tell you no power is getting to the fridge from the 12 v. circuit (there's also a 120 v. circuit for running on 120 v. shore power only). Do you have 12 v. power in the trailer? Lights in the fridge and temp readout tell you may have power to the igniter circuit and eliminate other possibilities. You can check power to the igniter with a multimeter, but only when it is activated—you should get power to it when someone else turns on the fridge on gas while you test the igniter leads.

Sounds like you may have tried some of this.

The rubber covers over the actual switch can become dislodged and not work. Remove the plate where the buttons are and reposition the rubber covers so they activate the real switch.

If none of this works, the igniter may have failed or need a cleaning. The Dometic info that came with the trailer may tell you where it is. I would look near the gas valve in the back for something with two thin 12 v. wires going to it (I am assuming two, but it may be otherwise grounded and have one wire). See if the wires are tightly attached at both ends. If cleaning doesn't work, replace the igniter. I suppose it could be a circuit board and that would have to be replaced if nothing else works. Also, check the 12 v. fuse for the fridge to make sure it is ok and not loose—sometimes you can't see if the fuse is bad, so replace it with a good spare and try that before replacing anything else.

Things like this are usually simple to fix and try the easy things first.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Like Hene said, go for the simple fixes first as they are usually what will resolve your issue...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Hi Dave,

Are you using the US refillable lpg cylinders or have you converted to UK Calor Gas cylinders?

A friend of ours with a recently imported 31' Classic couldn't get his fridge to work on gas - he was using Calor Gas cylinders with a UK regulator. He changed back to the US cylinders & regulator and his fridge has worked just fine since.

It must be a pressure thing as I know there is a difference between the two types of regulators.

John in the UK
WK57ABF is offline   Reply With Quote