Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I certainly agree that when the truck pulls up to fill the propane tank attached to your house, there is no scale involved. Different sort of tank, different set of design rules, different approach to filling it. Last time I had to shell out to replace one ... different price.

In the case of using a scale plus the valve, it really does not matter which one stops the process. As long as one or the other stops it, you are ok. It's the pack it to to the brim ( and then put it out in the hot sun) combo that you want to avoid.

Bob
Which is one very good reason to NOT distract the dude filling your tank...so he does not accidentally overfill it using the bleed valve.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Which is one very good reason to NOT distract the dude filling your tank...so he does not accidentally overfill it using the bleed valve.
Hi

In the case of they guy using the scale, distraction may not be a good idea either. You have an aluminum tank and he spends a lot of time filling steel tanks. You very much want him to use the weight for *your* tank when he runs the scale. Distract him and he might just assume it's a big heavy steel tank ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Hi

In the case of they guy using the scale, distraction may not be a good idea either. You have an aluminum tank and he spends a lot of time filling steel tanks. You very much want him to use the weight for *your* tank when he runs the scale. Distract him and he might just assume it's a big heavy steel tank ....

Bob
Not that it had anything to do with distraction, but when I had the Argosy (with its original vintage aluminum tanks) I had more than one propane filler who had NEVER seen an aluminum one. They tend to have a chart of the steel-tank nominal tare and full weights and some of them aren't quick w/ math.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I’ve always had my tanks filled right where they are. You have to remove case, then unwind big wing nut, lift off the metal thingamajiggies, unscrew valves / hoses from the tanks And turn tanks a bit to make access easier.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Clarksville , Tennessee
I take my 30 lb cylinders to any local TSC (tractor Supply) and get them filled by weight. Least expensive place in TN. U-Haul also fills propane bottles by weight. If you use them one at a time and fill them as they run low, you always have propane available. We are getting our pair of Honda generators converted to propane and I expect we'll be visiting TSC and U Haul more often ...
jackcheasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
I must use a lot of propane because I have them refilled often. Tanks expire after 12 years and have a date stamped on them. Dealers should not refill a tank near the end of its life. They have to be recertified or replaced for new. I use dealers where a lot of propane is sold such as Camping World. I’ve never seen them fill a tank while it’s mounted on the A-frame of the trailer. The way they are mounted, you’d have to turn them around to fill even if it’s allowed. I always remove them.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I must use a lot of propane because I have them refilled often. Tanks expire after 12 years and have a date stamped on them. Dealers should not refill a tank near the end of its life. They have to be recertified or replaced for new. I use dealers where a lot of propane is sold such as Camping World. I’ve never seen them fill a tank while it’s mounted on the A-frame of the trailer. The way they are mounted, you’d have to turn them around to fill even if it’s allowed. I always remove them.
Unless there's an apparent problem with the tank, dealers should refill them UNTIL the expiration of the last certification (whether the original or a recertification.) A month before the expiration, they're still certified.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
refilling tanks.

My cylinders were built in 72 and 73. I ordered in some OPD valves and installed them, and filled them up (lots of times) without problem until last summer when they were “recertified” and stamped after a visual inspection. I have had two places refuse to fill them because they’re red though..... but most all places that isn’t a problem either... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	318030

FWIW, one of the times I was refused it was colder than hell and I’m pretty sure the kid at Flying J was looking for ANY reason not to fill my cylinders.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:16 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As mentioned above, "recertification" may not be much of a hassle at all. You probably can't get a tank rectified at the local big box store. It should not take much time on the phone to find someplace that will do an inspection and ( if they are ok) recert.

Bob
Old 07-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #30

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Hi

As mentioned above, "recertification" may not be much of a hassle at all. You probably can't get a tank rectified at the local big box store. It should not take much time on the phone to find someplace that will do an inspection and ( if they are ok) recert.

Bob
While you can't get the cert done at the big box, you can almost always get the tank filled where you get it recertified so it's not TOO inconvenient.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
While you can't get the cert done at the big box, you can almost always get the tank filled where you get it recertified so it's not TOO inconvenient.
I wonder if I'll be the first person to need the tanks rectified before refilling?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Sometimes, we are put in our place! Several have commented about lugging the heavy tank to have it refilled. I, too, have to wrestle with the tank. We were in Moab last year and this one-armed guy came out to refill the tank. "I'll get it", he says as he walks over and swings the tank up on his shoulder. Does the same thing with the full tank and he's an old scrawny guy probably in his 70's. I'm in my 70's and far from scrawny. If I tried to do what he did, I would end up in the ER.

Sometimes it's good to be put in our place...….
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #33
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
So will my tanks be refused because they're silver ???? Hasn't happened yet. One time the distributer was able to fill my tanks while on board but he had a hose long enough to reach. Mostly I simply take them off myself.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
So will my tanks be refused because they're silver ???? Hasn't happened yet. One time the distributer was able to fill my tanks while on board but he had a hose long enough to reach. Mostly I simply take them off myself.

Silver should be fine.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
Tank certification

It's also important to know the tanks are certified for 10 years ... at least mine were. Propane vendors aren't supposed to refill them past the certification date. Two choices: replace them or get them re-certified. Hope this helps.
aircamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Generally it's 12 years on the original certification of DOT cylinders (but not ASME, fixed-mount cylinders) in the United States. However, state law may, in some cases, require a shorter period.

The most common type of re-certification is visual. Its certification period is five years and can be repeated. A cylinder that has been visually recertified will be marked with an "E" followed by the month / year of recertification; think of "E" as "eye."

Here's a bit of additional info:

https://salem.wbcci.net/files/2018/0...e-workshop.pdf

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircamper View Post
It's also important to know the tanks are certified for 10 years ... at least mine were. Propane vendors aren't supposed to refill them past the certification date. Two choices: replace them or get them re-certified. Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Generally it's 12 years on the original certification of DOT cylinders (but not ASME, fixed-mount cylinders) in the United States. However, state law may, in some cases, require a shorter period.

The most common type of re-certification is visual. Its certification period is five years and can be repeated. A cylinder that has been visually recertified will be marked with an "E" followed by the month / year of recertification; think of "E" as "eye."

Here's a bit of additional info:

https://salem.wbcci.net/files/2018/0...e-workshop.pdf

Lynn

It’s kind of funny how my forty year old cylinders have been recertified exactly once,,,, about a year ago...

Old 07-30-2018, 07:18 AM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
It’s kind of funny how my forty year old cylinders have been recertified exactly once,,,, about a year ago...
Hi

..... but was that the first time they were re-filled .... giving you the prize for most economical use of propane ....

Indeed, there are a lot of places that don't spend much time looking at anything on the tank ... use for Oxygen ... no problem ....

Bob
Old 07-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I did get 60 days of full time out of the last cylinder.....

Old 07-31-2018, 12:58 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Recently went to have my tanks re-certified and was charged $45 per tank.
After a bit of discussion, the price was dropped to $20 per.

I had the work done in Pa and my recollection was that they were certified for only 2 more years.

Long story short, youre probably better off waiting for a good sale (just bought my new ones at Tractor supply for $52) then recertifying.

MD, the process for removing is basic and simple. As others have said they do get heavy, but the only one caution which i have been given is to ensure that the cylinder remains in a vertical orientation while transporting. I use a milk crate and put the base of the tank in the crate, then strap the tank to the truck bed wall.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote