Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonny River , New Brunswick
Rear Propane Tanks?

I searched the forums for this but I didn't see anything.

I've noticed that weight distribution and tongue weight always seem to be an issue.....has anyone ever put their propane tanks on the rear bumper?

Or is it even legal? Here in Canada you always see the old style 1/2 ton campers (the ones that sit in your truck bed) with an old rusty propane tank duct taped to the back. Not saying thats legal either but you see them routinely...
Rob&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
The first thing that comes to mind is what happens if you get rear-ended. I'd worry about that.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is what happens if you get rear-ended. I'd worry about that.
Then again, it could be a great deterrent to tailgaters.
I think that extra 60-100 pounds hanging out back there would only do bad things to the frame. Bicycles are discouraged, and they usually don't weigh as much as full LP tanks.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
I did consider that getting rear ended might be an explosive event...the good thing is that we would be 32 feet + a TV away from the explosion. The bad thing would be that the unlucky bugger who was tailgating would be front row centre.

If the tailgater was an idiot I would chalk it up to the Darwin Principle....

....however it there was an unavoidable accident I wouldn't feel to great about it.

Back to the weight distribution drawing board...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Then again, it could be a great deterrent to tailgaters.
I think that extra 60-100 pounds hanging out back there would only do bad things to the frame. Bicycles are discouraged, and they usually don't weigh as much as full LP tanks.
True...I didn't consider the leverage that 60 lbs would have on the frame while going down a bumpy road. Kinda like a jack hammer, the shocks wouldn't last to long either.

See this is why I like the Airforum, keeps silly people from doing silly things.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
The other low-tech thing one could do is remove them every time you're traveling.. simply store them inside (well strapped down) and install when you arrive.

In the end though, if 60 lbs. or so becomes "the straw that breaks a tow vehicle's back" - it's probably an indication that a more powerful TV is in order, rather than solving things by shifting around a marginal amount of weight.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Someone at the TopSail Hill Rally had theirs on the rear - I think I hear someone saying the frame was modified. I can't quite remeber but maybe they had a generator in the front. Might want to check with the folks that organized that rally (early Jan 2011). I seem to think it was a 20XX model trailer. I saw them pull in and then quickly forgot about it with all the *fun*....

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
The other low-tech thing one could do is remove them every time you're traveling.. simply store them inside (well strapped down) and install when you arrive.

In the end though, if 60 lbs. or so becomes "the straw that breaks a tow vehicle's back" - it's probably an indication that a more powerful TV is in order, rather than solving things by shifting around a marginal amount of weight.
This is ultimately my concern....a Suburban 2500 (which is what we were looking at since we need room for the whole fam damily) has a GVWR of about 8600lbs depending on the model year. The "beast" is currently has alot less in it than a regular trailer and according to the plate welded to the frame by DND (the PO) when they registered the modifications the weight of the trailer is 8600 lbs.....tongue weight is about 600lbs. I can't remember at the moment and the hitch is currently under 2 feet of snow, guess I didn't build my pad high enough.

At the end of the day the finished trailer will likely weigh more than it does now, plus "stuff", and with the incessant eating our kids are doing they are likely to grow larger all of which takes away from the towing capacity of the vehicle.

This is all dependent on whether or not that plate is correct.

Maybe a thread in the TV section would help alleviate my concerns as well....