Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Drboyd, thanks for resurrecting this thread once again. Looks like it has been resurfaced at least three times if not more. Very good info here.

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before!"

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Some Airstream tie down rods were just cross pinned at the bottom. Sometimes the pins would break. I replaced mine with a threaded rod with two nuts at the bottom.

Some of the cast aluminum cross tees for the top of the tanks have been known to break. The casting have low ductility becaused they chose the wrong alumimun alloy when they made them. I think it was a high silicon alloy which is high strength but low ductility. I have a broken one of those too. You can not do anything about that but you should not overtighten the hold down wing nut.

A cross tee which is not tight enough may allow the bottles to wiggle and rotate to the point it will come to the opening in the handle and fall off the front of the trailer. I had it happen to me. I solved that one with a securing pin assembly which I made. Also works for steel tees.
Those spring-loaded "D" pins will not remain secure if your "T" handle loosens. The wire-spring bails will simply twist open and let the bottles fall.
Those are completely false security when used in that manner.
The wire-bails cannot be expected to anything other than prevent the pins from shifting due to their OWN weight... not the weight or momentum of the "secured" device (the bottles.)
That said... Kudos to this entire discussion and the OP for bringing it to our attention.

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tradesman 4.7L 4X4
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I drilled the wing nut for a padlock so it can not unwind in the enclosure on the Classic and the 23D International Serenity
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #102
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Stanardsville , Virginia
Thanks for sharing this, anytime I learn about a different safety check I'm ahead of the game!
madpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
On my newer 2008 the tanks are sitting not on an open-loop-base... but on an oval pan...which was originally secured by A/S to the A-frame with only two, cheap screws that vibration had completely cut/shattered. The tank brackets were held to that pan with a long all-thread drilled thru the base of the pan and a wingnut, ...covered with that cheap, plastic Camco cover.
Therefore the tanks were sitting on a pan which was totally unsecured to the trailer frame except by their own weight and held in place by the hoses.
I cleaned it all up, repainted and drilled/bolted the pan to the frame, and installed new all-thread covered with steel tube which freely rotates about the all-thread (to discourage any hacksaw-equipped thief.)
A long-shackle bicycle lock drilled thru the upper bracket prevents the wingnut from being unscrewed by same thief.
I think the old-style "bucket-brackets" for a base is an excellent idea and I may make my own and weld them to that oval pan. I've seen some in the PPL catalog.
This is an excellent discussion and I posted this msg to bump it back up.

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tradesman 4.7L 4X4
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote