Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meadow Vista , California
Ran out of propane

Ran out of propane last week , both tanks empty. The valve that switches from one tank to the other must work, but the dial that goes from green to red did not seem to change to red on the last tank. Does anyone have a gauge that works for them?
Thanks!
SilverSinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are talking about the indicator on the switch over valve that only indicates when you run out of gas on the first tank to tell you to get more.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSinbad View Post
Ran out of propane last week , both tanks empty. The valve that switches from one tank to the other must work, but the dial that goes from green to red did not seem to change to red on the last tank. Does anyone have a gauge that works for them?
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum SilverSinbad!

The indicator valve might be bad. Now that you know how long it took for both tanks to run out, you should have a sense of how long one tank should last on its own. When you get to that stage, try tapping on the indicator window and see if the green and red switch over. I had to do that once or twice. You can also switch the manual handle to the active tank when you confirm that the other has run out.

Or you can simply turn off the full tank, and see how long the first tank takes to empty. That will get you more actively involved with managing the propane supplies -- a good thing when starting out. But obviously this requires a close eye, as the fridge, heat and water heater will go off if not on shore power also.

I have always kept a log book in the trailer to record trip mileage and propane fill-ups. I still have the old log from the 25' AS back in the 90's, and the propane prices are interesting to see. About double now! Keeping the log book -- like manually turning off one propane tank at a time -- has the added advantage of making you more conscious of your propane use.

If you are still under warranty, a new indicator and perhaps transfer valve may be in order.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS here is a recent thread with more info:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...er-145711.html

The site's "Search" function works pretty well (above to the right), with the Google search function in the middle of the pop-up box recommended.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
One tank at at time

Our first season we also ran the propane dry. Of course it ran out on a Sunday morning in Taos, NM. There is no place in Taos to fill propane on a Sunday, at least none we found. But Monday was a good day - we filled propane, did the laundry at the laundromat, and I believe I got a haircut that day too.

Ever since then, I turn on my tanks one at a time, and I keep an orange cord clipped to the tank in use. When I "run out", I always have one full tank. I have never felt the need to get the auto-changeover thing switched, since I think I would keep using the propane "one-tank at a time". Good luck
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Some of us old vintage folks are in the habit of pouring a quart of hot water down the side of our tanks every few days to gauge the level in each tank. It works like this, pour the water down one side and quickly feel the tank for the point where the temperature changes. That is the level. My switchover valve is 49 years old and the color indicator no longer works but using the hot water, I can tell which tank is empty if I have forgotten which tank was in use when I filled the empty one. I am a long time proponent of KISS methods.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
When you start to shiver in your AS, the eggs don't turn white on your stove, and your partner screams that the shower is cold then both tanks are empty. Simply fill both tanks at once and watch for the same signs when it is time to fill them again. This way you make 50% fewer trips to fill the propane tanks. This is the "KUS" approach - Keep Ultimately Simple.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
Some of us old vintage folks are in the habit of pouring a quart of hot water down the side of our tanks every few days to gauge the level in each tank. It works like this, pour the water down one side and quickly feel the tank for the point where the temperature changes. That is the level. My switchover valve is 49 years old and the color indicator no longer works but using the hot water, I can tell which tank is empty if I have forgotten which tank was in use when I filled the empty one. I am a long time proponent of KISS methods.
Learn something new everyday.
This was my day!
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSinbad View Post
Thanks!
This has nothing to do with the Guage. But just purchased 2 30lb. Aluminum tanks to replace the factory 30lb. Steel tanks. Plan on carrying the old ones in back of pickup as backup if we decide dry camp some day.
Has anyone else done the same with one or two spares?
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We travel in winter months (South) and use quite a bit of propane. Also considering a propane conversion for the generator if we take it. Running out is a high probability.

So we are thinking of getting a smaller aluminum bottle 10 or 20 lb to carry in the truck bed as a backup, to run the generator on occasion, and to fuel the Weber Q. What do you think?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I don't think it's worth the effort to carry extra tanks for spares. It seems, at least to me that is, to be easier to just monitor the levels and fill when one is empty. If you find a supplier that will fill by volume then you can get it filled when you know it's low and don't need to wait until empty. My tanks ( alum twin 40#'ers) are not original so no gauge function but when I suspect one is getting low I take it off and shake it. Guaranteed to work.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I picked up two of these at Home Depot. They seem to work.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-...ane+tank+guage
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mountain Top , Pennsylvania
Purchase locations for 30 lb aluminum replacement tanks?
jgdunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Vts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgdunham View Post
Purchase locations for 30 lb aluminum replacement tanks?
Vintage Trailer Supply sells them.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #15
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie t. moto View Post
This has nothing to do with the Gauge... Plan on carrying the old ones in back of pickup as backup...
Has anyone else done the same with one or two spares?
Yes, I carry spares depending on when and where we are headed. I usually have at least one (#30) for use with the portable propane fire pit we carry. The second tank comes along in the winter months when we know the squirrel cage heater will be getting a workout. It seems the propane dealers are always in the most inaccessible places or closed when the tanks are empty and freezing temperatures are predicted.

Be sure to have a secure mounting method.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #16
OnTheRoad

2015 30' International
Strasburg , Colorado
It happened to us also. We determined that it was not the transfer value but the order in which you turned on the propane tanks. The transfer valve has an arrow that displays from which tank one is taking propane. When you first open the propane tank valve you need to turn on the tank that the arrow is pointing at, then turn on the second tank.

Check the transfer valve regularly and when the GREEN indicator turns RED, change the transfer value to the second full tank and then you can fill the empty.

Happy travels.
wlrhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:04 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlrhoads View Post
It happened to us also. We determined that it was not the transfer value but the order in which you turned on the propane tanks. The transfer valve has an arrow that displays from which tank one is taking propane. When you first open the propane tank valve you need to turn on the tank that the arrow is pointing at, then turn on the second tank.

Check the transfer valve regularly and when the GREEN indicator turns RED, change the transfer value to the second full tank and then you can fill the empty.

Happy travels.
Thanks for the great tip, and from a first time poster. Welcome. I look forward to hearing more from you.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote