Old 12-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
To check the propane level pour warm water over the tank. You will feel the difference when you slide your hand down the tank and reach the propane level. This will be more pronounced when the tank is in use.. It is not unusual to develop a frost line at this point when conditions are right.

We carry a third tank, When the first one is empty it goes in the back of the truck for refill. We boondock a lot and try to avoid special trips out for propane. Also gives us the chance to fill where the price is better.
Also with the newer valves it is best to turn on the tank slowly. If the flow is to great at first it may shut down

Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Where did I go wrong??? The original gauges on my tanks seem to provide a very accurate reading of status - both on the read-out at the stove hood and at the tanks. Was there something unique about the gauges on the 2000 series Excella???

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i believe those gauges are a float type.
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Well the most convenient and reliable way to ascertain the propane level in a tank is to look at the float gauge. If your tanks are not equipped with float gauges, you can buy ones that are. They have them over at in both 30 and 40 pound.

The most accurate way to determine the propane level in a tank is to weigh it. They are stamped with the tare weight in pounds on the collar, after the letters TW. So you weigh the tank, subtract the tare, and that's how many pounds of propane you have. A bathroom scale works fine, or a hanging scale from a farm store. Not very convenient but if you are preparing for a trip and really want to know exactly and for sure that's the way to go.

The hot water trick others have described also works. What I do is take a tea kettle full of boiling water and pour a stream down the side of the tank for 5-10 seconds. Then wait for a little bit and (carefully) feel for the temperature change. If you've been running the furnace constantly for a while (half hour) the hot water isn't necessary because the tank walls covered by liquid will already be considerably colder.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #19

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Where did I go wrong??? The original gauges on my tanks seem to provide a very accurate reading of status - both on the read-out at the stove hood and at the tanks. Was there something unique about the gauges on the 2000 series Excella???

Us too...keep an eye on the gauges, red sight glass get it filled.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Inexpensive Gauge

In reference to racoco's question about inexpensive tank gauges...since our A/S is probably the same as yours...I tried it about two years ago. It wouldn't even fit as the hose from the tanks won't accomodate the gauge because of a sharp curve the hoses take. What I can say about it is that it seems to work well on my barbecue. As for figuring out tank contents, I think everybody who commented on this thread know how to do it.

OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote