Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quick connect extra propane fitting

Why is everything so hard!
I have a 2012 Sport with the auxiliary quick connect propane valve on the a frame for adding a barbecue, I suppose.

I bought a trifuel Yamaha generator to run on propane for dry camping. I ordered the extra hardware for hooking it up but the quick connect fitting are too large, 1/2" I think.

So after searching these forum, and online extensively I tried Home Depot then Camping World. At CW I bought the male end for a 1/4" fitting. When I get home and try it, it is the correct diameter, but too long to push in far enough to lock. The threaded end is also too small for my hose, of course, but I thought I would search for that adapter later. And it was the only size carried in my CW store.

Back to google. Every male end I found had comments by someone that they had the same problem, whether using it for propane or a barbecue.

This is a fairly new trailer. Does Airstream put things on it that no one can use??? Has anyone found the correct fitting for this?

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to avoid ordering a bunch of parts online by trial and error if possible.

Thanks
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
some possibilities

I found a lot of parts on Tejas Smokers website. Now I am wondering if I should try to swap out the AS 1/4" valve socket for one of TSs 3/8" valve socket. I checked the hose coming from it to the trailer and it looks to be at least 3/8". The hardware and hose I got from USCarb is 3/8" also, so that would be a better match. I don't know how the screw-in sides of the couplers are or what adapter I might need yet. I will probably remove the one on my AS to get a better idea before I order anything. Of course that will let a lot of air into my hose system.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I saw your question on the Yammy tri-fuel thread.

Didn't respond cuz I'm not familiar with the factory connection.

Your decision to change out the OEM fixture seems workable.

I would remove the factory fitting to make sure of what you need...US Carb may be able to help.

The hose and fittings have made set-up much easier for us. Excellent quality.

I find that starting on LPG is made a lot easier by purging before every start-up, easy/quick to do by pressing in the diaphragm on the back side of the low pressure regulator, you will feel a slight back pressure when all the air is purged.

Bob
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Most hardware stores don't sell quick connects that work on propane. You need to go to a propane dealer. You will find that there are numerous connectors and you probably need to take your fitting to them to make sure you get the right connector.
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just curious if you received the Airstream short propane connection hose with the new trailer? One end has the male fitting for the connection on the front of the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Just curious if you received the Airstream short propane connection hose with the new trailer? One end has the male fitting for the connection on the front of the trailer.
You are a genius! Probably been a year since I looked in that "starter kit". I didn't even realize that was there. A 5' long, 1/4" hose with the proper quick connect male end on it. It fits perfectly. It also has an adapter, probably for the propane bottle. But I had to go with the one USCarb sent, which fits the regulator on the generator.

So I am good to go, for testing anyway. When the rain lets up I will see if the 1/4" line is sufficient to run the generator. If not I will see if I can find the fittings to swap the 1/4" quick connect for a 3/8" one.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Rich,

The 1/4" should be fine...note my emergency shut of switch. Surgical tubing.

Not really..it's very flexible to prevent kinks that would hinder flow, used it for carb supply also, very cramped inside.
Bob
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Rich,

The 1/4" should be fine...note my emergency shut of switch. Surgical tubing.

Not really..it's very flexible to prevent kinks that would hinder flow, used it for carb supply also, very cramped inside.
Bob
Thats encouraging. Thanks.

Nice idea on the tubing. I have so many do-it-yourself projects and repairs going I opted to pay the extra and let them do the mod for me. Also, the 2400 is on the large side, so there seems to be plenty of internal room. Although I haven't removed the panels to check.

BTW they didn't send me any "teflon paste" and I can't anything at home depot like that. What did you use for your permanent connections? They said not to use tape because it could get into the carburetor.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Use the yellow thread seal tape(thicker), start it a few threads from the end of the fitting so there's no chance of any getting into the hose.

Bob
Old 04-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
I can't tell from the above discussion whether or not a standard propane 1/4" male quick-connect will work with the auxiliary quick-connect female that comes on newer Airstreams. Does anyone know the answer? Is a "special" male quick-connect required?
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanford View Post
I can't tell from the above discussion whether or not a standard propane 1/4" male quick-connect will work with the auxiliary quick-connect female that comes on newer Airstreams. Does anyone know the answer? Is a "special" male quick-connect required?
I could not get a "standard" one to fit. It was very close, but no amount of shoving would make it work. Only when I found the one that came with the AS could I connect. It was just slightly shorter, so must be proprietory I guess.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:31 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
You are a genius! Probably been a year since I looked in that "starter kit". I didn't even realize that was there. A 5' long, 1/4" hose with the proper quick connect male end on it. It fits perfectly. It also has an adapter, probably for the propane bottle. But I had to go with the one USCarb sent, which fits the regulator on the generator.

So I am good to go, for testing anyway. When the rain lets up I will see if the 1/4" line is sufficient to run the generator. If not I will see if I can find the fittings to swap the 1/4" quick connect for a 3/8" one.
Sorry to revive an old thread but I am going through this same procedure but with a Yamaha 3000 generator. From what I read on the Genconnex website, I will need at least 3/8" hose. I was looking for a 1/4" male to 3/8" female quick connect hose but I'm afraid the OEM 1/4" quick connect at the AS may starve my generator.

I also checked for hoses with US Carburetion but didn't see anything on their website.

Anyone else run a 3000 watt generator or larger using the 1/4" LPG quick connect or has anyone found a hose with the proper 3/8 to 1/4 quick connectors already built in?
TinVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxreme View Post
. . .
Anyone else run a 3000 watt generator or larger using the 1/4" LPG quick connect or has anyone found a hose with the proper 3/8 to 1/4 quick connectors already built in?
Have you tried Amazon? This is not exactly want you want, but it works for our Yamaha 1000 tri-fuel from US Carb (after installing the bushing they supplied at the gen, plus the short hose which came with our new FC20):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry, I am on the road right now, and can't check the trailer or generator.

See these threads also for possible leads:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ay-150492.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-120706.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...se-153363.html

Maybe the US Carb bushing at your gen, plus the Airstream short hose which came with your 19' (?), would permit the use of the hose from Amazon linked above? We use two of them connected to put the gen at the back of the trailer, where it is often the quietest for campground neighbors.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:58 AM   #14
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
You need these.... order from Amazon (I couldn't figure out how to post links):

1) Camco 59903 Propane Quick-Connect Fitting - 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Male Plug
2) Camco 57282 10' Propane Quick-Connect Hose
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
I could not get a "standard" one to fit. It was very close, but no amount of shoving would make it work. Only when I found the one that came with the AS could I connect. It was just slightly shorter, so must be proprietory I guess.
There are two versions of propane quick disconnects, low pressure and high pressure. I found this out when the fitting I bought from CW wouldn't mate with the one that came with my grill. Like the OP, the fitting went in but wouldn't lock. The CW fitting packaging and the fitting itself were marked "low pressure", but were, in fact, high pressure. The ones I ordered from Amazon worked fine.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
I just got off the phone with one of the sales guys at GenConneX. According to what I have read, if I am running less 2000 watts or more, then I can run the 1/4" quick-connect hoses. Since I am running a 3000 watt generator, I have to run a minimum of 3/8" quick-connect hoses.

According to the sales rep, my generator will either shut off or run very poorly under load. I am sure if it did run, it would create excess stress/wear as the 1/4" lines would basically bottleneck.

I'm going to look at the lines under the propane tanks on my AS, I supposed I could change out the 1/4" LPG port and install a new 3/8" LPG port?

The alternative is disconnecting one of my propane bottles each time I run my generator to run a direct 3/8" line with a regulator.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #17
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Another alternative is to buy a conveniently-sized LP tank explicitly for the generator.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Another alternative is to buy a conveniently-sized LP tank explicitly for the generator.
That's the way I have it set up currently. I was concerned that when it runs out, I wanted to be able to quickly switch over to an alternative fuel source. If I can run it primarily off the propane tanks on the front of the AS then I will always have a backup anyways when one runs out.

The entire set-up from the factory is 1/4" hoses. Although inconvenient, I may just have to run lines directly to the propane tanks with a regulator and leave the LPG lines intact as is. At least this way, I will still have the ability to run an outdoor bbq grill if I desire down the road.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There are adapters that attach between the propane tank fitting and the propane hose that goes to the trailer. The adapter can be either another opening like on the tank or the hose fitting similar to the one pound Coleman bottle grill gas or light gas. I have a 25' propane hose with the latter fitting so the Solaire grill can be put where needed like under the awning if it is raining.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxreme View Post
I'm going to look at the lines under the propane tanks on my AS, I supposed I could change out the 1/4" LPG port and install a new 3/8" LPG port?
The lines are readily accessible and it is not difficult to change out any 1/4" parts for larger ones. My trailer didn't have a stock propane port -- I added one, for my grill.

You may want to leave the standard size port in place for use with a grill and just add a second one.

You will need flare tools. A little bit of oil on the tool and then on the flare nut threads prior to assembly will make the job go better.