Old 12-15-2004, 03:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Angry pullrod stuck open

I recently moved fulltime into my "78 Argosy...but have only slept overnight less than a week total...I kept putting off latrine duty until yesterday...since I was careful to avoid any solids going in...(I forgot that the PO may have left contributions.) TMI

I had to pull very hard on the pull rod to open the valve...but everything gushed out ...things that I do not recall going in...but this part was a success...

The part where I had to push the rod back into place was not...I was afraid to force it since I don't really know the mechanics of it ...when I called my RV guy who was out the day before he said that these rods always stick and just to try harder trying to push it back in...This was impossible w/o use of a sledge hammer...The trailer was sitting unused since the beginning of Summer.

I really don't want to have to go through this every week... and currently it(blk water valve) is sitting open...all cleaned out...but stuck open...I'm afraid to use water now fearing that i will fill up the gray water holding tanks...

Is this a symptom of needing to replace something? I'd appreciate any advice (or empathy) The RV guy will be coming back in a few days to replace the original toilet...I have a feeling that he will be sending his kids to Ivy league colleges with the business I will be giving him this year.
..At least my hot water heater is cooking now...although I'm still taking showers at the gym.

Trailerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:57 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The valves do tend to stick, take a SMALL hammer, and tap gently until it starts to move back in. Then pull it out again, and work it back and forth until it moves fairly easily. After you get it shut, there are additives to the black tank water that will help keep this from happening in the future.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:09 PM   #3
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Depending on the location of the dump valve in relation to the hose connection, you may be able to spray some silicone spray inside to lubricate the blade path. Sometimes the rod itself binds on the brackets that hold the rod (if your Argosy has brackets that hold the rod) and sometimes that can be made better with a little silicone spray as well. If you can spray the blade in the valve, work it back and forth until it works freely.

Good luck!

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Thanks for the input...All that I could find in my bag of tools is the "small' hammer and gun cleaning oil (don't know what's in that) I will have to head over to Wally World for the sillycone spray and a sack of coconuts (or was that coconut oil?)
Trailerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas

You can find holding tank chemicals that do have coconut oil to lubricate the valve. I used some years ago and it worked just great. Of course, it wont help until you get the valve closed. I agree that a little tapping may do the job, but don't overdo it since those are plastic parts in there. I broke a valve years ago when it stuck and I got overeager. Fortunately, that one was exposed and easy to fix.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Mine were very stiff when I got it. In fact, one rod was slightly bent from someone using too much muscle. Cleaning out the seals and using plenty of penetrating oil on the metal parts got them running smoothly again. However, only the "Holding Tank Seal Lubricant" got them pliable enough to actually seal as they should.

That stuff is coconut oil, you say? I figured it had to be some kind of vegitable oil. Colaws RV always has a bin of those various tank additives for $1 a bottle out front.

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote