Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
New Member
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2
Propane Weights and Measures


1. Liquid Propane weighs approx 4.26 lbs per gallon at 60 degs
2. A full 30lb Propane tank would weigh approx 75 lbs ?
3. A Propane tank should be filled to only 80% of capacity
to allow for expansion according to Federal Regulations
4. An empty 30lb propane should be filled with no more then
5.6 gallons to allow room for expansion or 80% full
according to the formula above.
5. An empty 30lb propane tank would weigh approx 51lbs. ?
6. I have had Propane dealers fill my 30lb tanks with as much as
7gallons of propane using a propane filling meter, they would
open up the bleeder valve and fill it untill liquid came out of
the valve, so 7gallons of liquid propane X 4.26 lbs per gallon
liquid equals 29.82lbs in a 30lb tank leaving no room for
expansion of the gas in warmer weather
7. My question is, was I in any danger with those tanks being filled
with 7 gallons or am I now just being paranoid
__________________

__________________
Gypsy George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
TomW's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,918
Images: 2
Welcome to the forum.



I did not follow all that but, if your propane dealer stopped filling when fog came out of the bleeder screw then you are okay.

Tom
__________________

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,427
Ok, lemme see if I can sort this out a little bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy George

1. Liquid Propane weighs approx 4.26 lbs per gallon at 60 degs

Yep.

Quote:
2. A full 30lb Propane tank would weigh approx 75 lbs ?
It'll weigh approx. 30 lbs + the weight of the bottle itself, which is marked as "TW" on the collar of the bottle. (If you want to know the exact weight of the propane, take the "WC" marking from the collar -- that means "water capacity" -- and multiply it by .42.)

Quote:
3. A Propane tank should be filled to only 80% of capacity
to allow for expansion according to Federal Regulations
Correctomundo.
Quote:
4. An empty 30lb propane should be filled with no more then
5.6 gallons to allow room for expansion or 80% full
according to the formula above.
Nope. The full weight -- TW + (WC X .42) -- is calculated with the 80%
amount already factored in.

Quote:
5. An empty 30lb propane tank would weigh approx 51lbs. ?
Depends on the bottle. Check the "TW" figure on the collar.

Quote:
6. I have had Propane dealers fill my 30lb tanks with as much as
7gallons of propane using a propane filling meter, they would
open up the bleeder valve and fill it untill liquid came out of
the valve, so 7gallons of liquid propane X 4.26 lbs per gallon
liquid equals 29.82lbs in a 30lb tank leaving no room for
expansion of the gas in warmer weather
It is not unusual to put 7 gallons into a 30 lb tank. Well, sort of unusual, given that many folks bring in their bottles for filling before they're completely empty.

Quote:
7. My question is, was I in any danger with those tanks being filled
with 7 gallons or am I now just being paranoid


Nope, no danger.


Lynn
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Druupy's Avatar
 
2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 95
Just did the porpane refill today.

I figure on 7 gallons in the 30# tank.

The way I find out what the fluid level is?

Weigh the tank.

Empty 30# tank = 20#

Full 30# tank = 50#

AND, all the new tanks have overflow protection valves. Meaning you can't over fill the tank because an internal valve closes and won't take anymore propane. The most I've gotten into an "empty" tank is 6.7 gallons, and that is what the filling station charged me for. At least it felt empty to me.
__________________
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
snake's Avatar
 
1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 174
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druupy
AND, all the new tanks have overflow protection valves. Meaning you can't over fill the tank because an internal valve closes and won't take anymore propane. The most I've gotten into an "empty" tank is 6.7 gallons, and that is what the filling station charged me for. At least it felt empty to me.
I don't have 100% confidence in the overflow protection devices, 98% maybe, but not 100%.

I like to see proper safety procedures when my tanks are filled.
__________________
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Silver Mist
 
LI Pets's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,008
Images: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druupy
Just did the porpane refill today.

I figure on 7 gallons in the 30# tank.

The way I find out what the fluid level is?

Weigh the tank.

Empty 30# tank = 20#

Full 30# tank = 50#
My 30G tanks have to be replaced, the local guy wants about $62 for the 30G and $68 for the 40G.

So I plan on getting the40's.

I already moved my battery inside back 3 feet, and removed the univolt, so the tongue weight will still be a bit lower.

If a 30 = 50lbs does a 40 weight 1/3 more or about 65lbs?
__________________
Bob
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,127
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
This chart was copies from the vintage trailer supply website


These numbers are for aluminum tanks. I would think the capacity would be the same for steel tanks.
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:17 AM   #8
Silver Mist
 
LI Pets's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,008
Images: 28
Thanks, so it's about 10lbs more in propane and few more lbs in steel.

So 15 may 20 at most additional lbs.
__________________
Bob
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,127
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
Why not ask Santa for a pair of aluminum tanks? They are pricey and you need to polish them, but they do look nice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	28947  
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #10
Silver Mist
 
LI Pets's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,008
Images: 28
Santa just brought me a GMC, his bag is empty
__________________
Bob
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #11
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,127
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
Wow, I like your Santa!
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
Silver Mist
 
LI Pets's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,008
Images: 28
oops, I saw a few nice dog toys in there, I'll e-mail him and ask if going to be in Arizona soon
__________________
Bob
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #13
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake
I don't have 100% confidence in the overflow protection devices, 98% maybe, but not 100%. I like to see proper safety procedures when my tanks are filled.
Yes, that's why we're not supposed to rely on the OPD when filling a bottle here in NM. (I've been told that some fillers here do so anyway; I guess they're just too lazy or stupid to do a little mental calculating before using the scale that they all have by law anyway.)

Lynn
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
peegreen's Avatar
 
1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 707
I wasn't trained on the filling procedure, but..... the guy at the rental place where I get my bottles filled waits for the OPD to stop the propane flow. That's how he knows the bottle is full, the shuts off the pump at the filling station. I'm not quite sure I completely understand the concept of the bleed valve when using a bottle with an OPD valve. It's not registering. I don't recall a bleed valve on the new OPD's, but haven't closely examined. If this is the method being used, the OPD would shut off when full. You're not paying for a full tank when liquid starts to vent but propane is still being supplied.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI 24291
New England Unit
Metropolitan NY Unit
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My First Airstream - which TV? IceKing02 Tow Vehicles 11 07-07-2004 12:37 AM
Towing 76 sovereign with '95 E 150 rapidsraven Tow Vehicles 2 04-18-2004 11:04 AM
1963 Land Yacht J Goertzen Airstream Motorhome Forums 7 07-12-2003 08:37 PM
My first RV: 1971 Overlander? Roundhead Our Community 3 02-09-2003 09:31 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.