Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
That was my understanding by the thread title.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I have a built-in Onan RV QG 2500 LP generator that uses .2 - .6 gallons of propane per hour, depending on load. It is used to run the micro and refresh the batteries, maybe 1 - 2 hour per day. At that rate, it alone could consume 5 gallons of propane per week.

The local dealer tells me he doesn't like to install generators for this reason, but I like it. It's just too easy to carry backup tanks for the comfort.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Although I think some of us have talked about our overall usage over the course of a season, which may include sites with power.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
We are talking about not going to service campgrounds at all~ all stand alone camping.
That is my favorite kind of camping too! Not counting running the furnace which we don't run in the summer -- we go thru one 30# tank every two months in the summer.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I just dewinterized, fired the water heater up and cycled it, etc...
A couple of days later, I was outside by the trailer, and hear the water heater fire up, and think...dangit, I forgot to turn it off.
So I begin to check propane.....the valve was on the curbside tank so I take it off and it is near empty, so I check the other one and it is near empty as well, but should have been full.
So I start leak testing....the rubber lines to the valve had gotten hard and unpliable....and were leaking bigtime.
My guess is that over the course of the winter, I lost almost the entire streetside tank, and my oversight on the water heater cost me the curbside tank.
I now have new hoses, and have checked my propane system for leaks.
So I take off the

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Efficient inside/outside cooking techniques/modalities while dry-camping/boondocking using propane with no generator or open fires allowed.

As a foodie hobbyist, I enjoy cooking, experimenting with recipes, and eating outdoors weather permitting. With the recent horrific fires in San Diego County, the red flag warning status continues to be observed at County campgrounds prohibiting open fires (charcoal or campfires).
What cooking technique/modality is most efficient to prepare a cooked meal from raw ingredients using the minimal amount of propane? Please share recipes and/or references/links.

Thanks,
Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang
Efficient inside/outside cooking techniques/modalities while dry-camping/boondocking using propane with no generator or open fires allowed.

As a foodie hobbyist, I enjoy cooking, experimenting with recipes, and eating outdoors weather permitting. With the recent horrific fires in San Diego County, the red flag warning status continues to be observed at County campgrounds prohibiting open fires (charcoal or campfires).
What cooking technique/modality is most efficient to prepare a cooked meal from raw ingredients using the minimal amount of propane? Please share recipes and/or references/links.

Thanks,
Larry
Hi Larry,

I use a Solaire infra-red grill and a wok-like insert that is actually perforated with a flat bottom and 4 sloping flat sides (Lowes or HD). I se this to stri fry ust about any type if veggie. Works well if you get the 'wok' really hot. Just a coupel of quick minutes and you're done!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #28
_

. , .
Quote:
[What cooking technique/modality is most efficient to prepare a cooked meal from raw ingredients using the minimal amount of propane? Please share recipes and/or references/links...
the common pressure cooker is the most efficient method for cooking the widest range of foods...

and with virtually any fuel source.

of course microwave ovens may actually use LESS energy but that's another topic.

i like the ceramic cookers and grill inserts too...stir fry by any method is fast and tasty...

there are other threads on this topic

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...chen-5410.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ing-21910.html

and loads of websites on pressure cookers...

along with recipes.

cheers
2air'

Energy Efficient Cooking

Efficient Cooking

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Lew and 2air,

Thanks so much for your suggestions and very helpful/entertaining links. Many childhood memories were brought to mind. It was interesting to read about the varied cultural/regional views about food.

I did not think about using my long forgotten pressure cooker of the 70s. I am looking forward to experimenting with it to reduce the cooking time for various Chinese dishes.

Technical question: As an alternative to propane, while dry camping/boondocking with solar panels on the trailer in full sun, can a 12v crockpot be used during the day without effecting the trailer's battery charge?

Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #30
_

. , .
Quote:
..As an alternative to propane, while dry camping/boondocking with solar panels on the trailer in full sun, can a 12v crockpot be used during the day without effecting the trailer's battery charge?Larry
no.

most 12v crocks are 10-20 amp units, around 150-300 watts i think.

so the solar systems would need to collect and transport and store THAT much energy at the same rate of usage...

which is a LOT relative to most rv appliances. (the ac and microwave draw more)

otoh with enough batteries (like 6) and 4-600 watts of panels, one could manage, maybe.

lots of these 12 gadgets are available in the big truck stops...

but keep in mind the truckers may be driving or idling the big diesel during usage.

the great thing about pressure cookers is dishes that take many hours can be finished in 15-50 minutes.

steam pressure cooking is great for meats, taters, roots, veggies, beans, legumes, stews and so on...

you can even wet bake breads and cakes.

of course IF you really have great sun exposure a 'solar oven' will work...

it's a treehuggergranolaberkenstockthing , check them out!

The Solar Cooking Archive

Solar Cookers International (How Solar Cookers Work)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #31
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Coleman offers a crock pot, however, the reviews on it are mixed. My solution for this type of cooking is either the pressure cooker or the dutch oven on top the burner set low. Whatever route you go using propane to cook, you are going to go a long, long time on your house propane between refills.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #32
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Boondocking with Propane

Hi All, we are in Orcas Island, WA Orcas Island WA .Com-Orcas Island Washington

How long does it take for a honda 2000 to recharge the batteries to run a Propane Heater through the night?

Learned something last night. You need decent batteries to run the Propane Heater. If not, the Detector Honks. It does this at 0200 probably on purpose. Every stay in an Airstream with a Border Collie when it is 32 degrees outside and a detector alarm honking.

The manual said it not a leak but a fault due to low voltage.

Now that it is day time, we are going to hook up the 2 Honda's 2K and run for a bit. I think the problem is we drained our batteries too low. We bought the coach used. The batteries are 3+ years old and I think they may need help.

I am typing from an Internet Cafe so I will probably check in a bit.

Take care and we promise to have fun.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #33
_

. , .
hi john

here's my basic and limited understanding....

the gen set will need to run for 6-8 hours at least to get the batteries above 80% charge...

2 batteries at 80%+ will usually handle 2 nights of the furnace fan power needs...

IF the batteries are weak/failing from sulfation or lack of maintenace or full discharge too often...

then even running the genset ALL DAY may not get them well charged.

here is a recent thread on this issue of weak batteries.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ies-40614.html

the converter IN the a/s controls/limits voltage to the charging batteries and that partly determines HOW LONG IT TAKES to recharge them.

the honda dc charge cable style B (part#32650-892-003) , can connect the gensets DIRECTLY to either battery at the posts.

by-passing the a/s parallax oem charge/converter, this MIGHT charge the batteries faster...

it's a 12$ accessory and nice to carry IF recharging the tv battery, but u don't wanna take this approach often with the deep cycle trailer batteries.

buying new batteries WHILE ON A CAMPING TRIP, is usually expensive and with LIMITED options...

so try adding distilled water to the batteries and several LONG sessions of charging with the gensets...

then sort out NEW batteries back home and with better online access.

i like the lifeline agms because of less maintenance, and venting and more potential to take abuse...

but they are expensive.

wow orcas island, one of my favorite camping, biking, eating, doing nothing spots on the planet.

that's one lucky dog traveling with you!

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	honda_dc_chargecord.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	57350  

Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #34
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Battery Temp is also an issue

I had a similar experience over the winter which is described here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...e-37921-2.html

Old 03-31-2008, 04:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
It is generally NOT a good idea to charge your trailer's batteries directly from your generator. You will be putting 12VDC directly into your batteries without any regulation for amperage or voltage.

Just connect the generator to your shore power input plug and let the on-board converter do it's job and charge your batteries properly. (Hopefully, you have a 3-stage charger in your converter......if not, you should seriously think about obtaining one soon!)
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #36
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Things are looking up

thanks Guys,

Kind of funny and not in a haha way how much you can learn about this stuff. Decided to go with new batteries. They had the exact ones in a great shop, 75 bucks a piece. I was surprised. Went with the interstate, figure if I get two years out of them, it will be worth it.

The island is great. Everything is working as it should. I put both 2000i on through the inverter and got a dimple of a charge on the old batteries. Had both batteries checked at the "auto-tech" car repair place, he said they were not holding a charge. The there guys were great. Would highly reccomend them if I could spell it.

Thanks for the guidance. We are back on track and the loud chirp was not the last sound before the propane tanks blew. Did I mention it was 32 degrees last night. The only one warm was the dog.

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:44 PM   #37
_

. , .
good job john!

i'm sort of surprised that you found the right batteries on the island...

otoh with all of the boats in east harbor, deep cycle marine batteries SHOULD be very available.

now with fresh new batteries u should be able to run the gen sets for 2 hours every day or 4 hours every other day...

hey are u in moran state park?

take a bike ride UP mt constitution for me, ok...

and where are the pictures?

cheers
2air'

Old 03-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #38
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have averaged about 3 weeks per 30# tank through the winter, but that is only running the catalytic heater at night 2-3 nights per week when it got under 50 degrees. We also are running the LP water heater, along with some stove use, and occasional fridge operation.
An LP cat heater will seriously extend battery life in cold weather, as it has no fan, and uses no power. Our cat has two bricks, and I used only the single brick almost exclusively, lighting both caused it to get way too warm in here (31' coach).
Old 03-31-2008, 08:22 PM   #39
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
We have averaged about 3 weeks per 30# tank through the winter, but that is only running the catalytic heater at night 2-3 nights per week when it got under 50 degrees.
I used a space heater as my sole heat source this winter (ave nighttime low around 20-25) and averaged about one 30# every 5-6 days.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
That's one of the reasons that I installed the RV-500. You get as much hot water as you can use on a minimum of LP. I camped for 3 months in Hood River, OR last summer and only used one 30# tank for hot water AND grilling.
It's great when you don't have to heat all of that water constantly.
Lewster, I'm seriously considering the RV-500 to replace the old Bowen in my '75 Ambassador. I have heard about these systems and they seem great with few downsides but it's rare to find someone who is actually using one. Are there any threads where you may have shared your experience with a tankless on demand system? Many thanks.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote