Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
oil filled heater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I just re-filled both of my propane tanks; My 30lb tanks hold 7 gallons each. My two tanks lasted a week in South Dakota [a few years ago] in October with a high of 27 degrees and a low of zero degrees. This ran our stove top, and we left the water heater and furnace on 24/7. I usually set my furnace to 66 or 68 degrees. I will bump it up to 70 or 72 degrees in the morning for only one cycle and then turn it back down or off. We also use an oil filled heater at times. Leaving the furnace on all night at 75 degrees would be like using your trailer as a paint curing booth or something. Way too hot for us.
Hi Bob, you mention an oil filled heater......not sure what that is, does it run on oil? Thanks, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #42
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oil filled heater.. The heating element is immersed in oil and unit is sealed. As oil
Heats, warmth travels to the fins of heater. Safer than exposed heat wires.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Furnace & Leaks are biggest wasters of propane

In 7 years of fulltiming I can tell you that it hardly makes a difference whether you leave the 5 gallon water heater on 24/7 or just fire it off when you anticipate needing it. Water will stay warm about 6 hours after you turn the heater off. But it takes a lot more propane to heat water from 54 to 120 degrees than it does to maintain heat. My heater may turn fire off once or twice a day more often than a manually operated heater, but when it runs to maintain temperature it only runs for about 2 minutes as opposed to 5 to 7 minutes to heat a cold tank.

The new EB has the electric/gas option, but if you're using the microwave and have the fridge on electric, and the a/c fires off, and you put bread in the toaster, you might trip a breaker. If you're not dressed, it'll trip at the post!

The stove top and oven and even the refrigerator are all very frugal users of propane - but the furnace just sucks a 30# cylinder down to nothing in a couple of days.

Watching for leaks at the hoses is also very important. Sometimes event the regulator itself will go bad, but most times it's a simple fix - and as noted before - tape isn't as good a sealer as the liquid type. Figure you're going to reseal once every year or two just from travel vibration working stuff loose.

Paula
Old 11-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #44
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
I just got back from a 15 night trip, 4 nights boon docking the rest on electric....Night time temps ranged from almost 70 to 27 degrees.

I was expecting more usage but I only used 21 lbs of propane out of one 30 lb cylinder.

Hot water tank was only lit once or twice a day for a few hours. Cooked on the gas stove twice a day.
Heat was set at about 62 at night and turned up higher for a short time when I got up in the morning.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #45
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Sounds like efficient usage.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Man so much great info on this thread. Thanks for participating everyone. I now have 2 electric heaters and will use the water heater only once per day to heat up the water for showers and dishes. That should be the key... I will be taking a trip soon and will report back with and update...
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, you might also check for air leaks. I installed a second weather strip on my entrance door and a double weather seal on my storage compartment door. [much better now] Both were letting cold air in.

Bob,
Could you elaborate on the double weather seal on the storage door? Mine seems to be letting in a lot of cold air.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Bob,
Could you elaborate on the double weather seal on the storage door? Mine seems to be letting in a lot of cold air.

Hi, Dave; Go to "Favorite mods Under $100" page 19, post # 258 and you will see what I did. Later I added a second "D" weather seal to the outer edge of the storage compartment door. [I couldn't find that picture]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote