Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I had the same question last March when I had filled my tanks then soon after one tank ran out. I learned on the forum to bypass the auto setting on the regulator but after a few nights heating, cooking, heating up water, the tank was empty. Come to find out, there was a leak at a fitting. Since I left the tank valves closed when not in use I was surprised at the loss. I bought some of that leak spray and was amazed at the leakage rate. Check for leaks too.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
These are some great tip everyone. I really appreciate the advice. I like the idea of turning on the water heater only once a day or so. Sounds like a good plan. Plus I have an Electric ignition inside the trailer which makes this super easy. Thanks for that. We did order t2 space heaters so I hope that those help out as well. We just had family spend the weekend in the trailer in the driveway and they used only a small space heater. They said it kept them toasty. Finally, I have checked for leaks thoroughly but I never checked the tanks. Maybe they have leaks... I will do so asap. Thanks again.
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Be aware that those space heaters draw about 10 amps on the low setting. But they will keep your girlfriend warm.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
FYI, a 20 pound LP tank is about 5 gallons, a 30 pound is about 7, and a 40 pounder is about 9 gallons.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
So About 2 months ago I filled our 2 - 7 gallon tanks and installed them giving us 15 gallons on LP gas to use. Since then we have been on 2 camping trips, both of which were 2 nights each. On both trips we used the furnace set to about 70-75 at night and did not need it on during the day. Let's say for about 10 hours per day or so. The temp ay night was mid 40's - low 50's. We also had the Water Heater on 24/7 for both trips but did not use much hot water. We also cooked a bit with the stove top and oven.

Aside from that, I have been using the furnace these past 5 days because I have been working on the trailer at night and the temp is in the low 50's...

Anyway, I am now out of LP gas. Does this seem like a normal scenario to you guys who have used LP gas a lot? Am I expecting too much from the tanks? Do I just need to be more conservative with my usage? Or is there a leak somewhere in my system that I am unaware of? (Believe me, I have been checking)
Just got back from 3 weeks camping Mts. Of New Mexico. Ran water heat on electric. Cooked with gas stove 2-3 times. Ran heat maybe 14 nights, but set at 67 with outside temp average 50 and seemed like furnace ran a lot. Less than one tank used--Still on the same tank we started with.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #26
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Crabbey1,

You didn't mention your refrigerator. Did you run it on propane or electricity? That does seem like a lot of propane to go through in only two trips. We can do multiple weekend trips (using the fridge, furnace and water heater) and not run out of propane that fast. Like your girlfriend, I prefer it toasty.

Definitely check for leaks as well as make sure they really gave you FULL tanks.

PS Also, make sure your thermostat is really OFF when you're not using it - the switch on our sticks and the furnace sometimes runs when we aren't in there. (Rather dangerous)

"The Towster" 1969 Globetrotter 21' (Silver)
"The Yeti" 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 8.1 Allison Crew Cab (White)
"The Boat" Old Town Canoe Discovery 174 (Green)
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We have tracked our usage over the last month of outings ... 5 nights / 10 days with the temp set to 69 degrees at night (but we have had some very cold nights down below freezing around here)... one 7 gal tank used! Limited water heater use - only before doing dishes two times; refrigerator on during that interval.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I fixed my leak yesterday. It was leaking at the coupling hose right off the regulator- bubbling like crazy. I tightened it as tight as it would go and it still was leaking. Then I took off all that old gas thread tape that they say to use as a thread sealer. My father saw that stuff and said to me, "don't ever use that junk again, I have something much better." He got his thread sealer glue and it worked beautifully. He uses it for his work on generators and tanks, etc. So, the consumption in my case was leakage plus use.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
So About 2 months ago I filled our 2 - 7 gallon tanks and installed them giving us 15 gallons on LP gas to use. Since then we have been on 2 camping trips, both of which were 2 nights each. On both trips we used the furnace set to about 70-75 at night and did not need it on during the day. Let's say for about 10 hours per day or so. The temp ay night was mid 40's - low 50's. We also had the Water Heater on 24/7 for both trips but did not use much hot water. We also cooked a bit with the stove top and oven.

Aside from that, I have been using the furnace these past 5 days because I have been working on the trailer at night and the temp is in the low 50's...

Anyway, I am now out of LP gas. Does this seem like a normal scenario to you guys who have used LP gas a lot? Am I expecting too much from the tanks? Do I just need to be more conservative with my usage? Or is there a leak somewhere in my system that I am unaware of? (Believe me, I have been checking)
If I used that amount of propane I would check for leaks first, then find ways to be conservative.

I use only one 30# tank about every 25 to 30 days while living in the 25' trailer full time, during winter traveling in Florida. Day time highs around 65 to 75f. Nights low mostly 40 to 50f, with a few early mornings in the upper 30's

During this time we usually close all windows after it gets dark and the temps start to fall. We cook an average one meal per day on the cook top, fridge on electric, water heater on propane for bathing and dishes in the morning and evening a couple hours per day, heat with propane with thermostat on 68 all the time. Maybe 3 or 4 nights during this time it drops down into the upper 30's. When these lows are predicted I will run an electric space heater on low setting in addition to the furnace thermostat set on 68. Doing this the furnace will not cycle on until early morning. Normally, we do not like to use the electric heat space heaters.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #30
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
To combat cold nights, I employ the aluminum covered bubble wrap material used for sun shades. I got the big rig, class A size on sale for $10/ea and cut them down to fit our windows. Each big sheet fit multiple smaller windows.

On sub-freezing nights they go up behind the curtains and the temp loss is cut substantially. I also cut pieces to fit the ceiling fans with small Velcro tabs to hold them in place. They store under the mattress during the day and stay home in the warmer months.

My wife likes it much warmer than I and she swears they cut the draft. All I know is our our propane tanks last much longer.

FYI, an electric blanket and small heater (where ever she is) are used when hooked to utilities.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
To combat cold nights, I employ the aluminum covered bubble wrap material used for sun shades. I got the big rig, class A size on sale for $10/ea and cut them down to fit our windows. Each big sheet fit multiple smaller windows.

On sub-freezing nights they go up behind the curtains and the temp loss is cut substantially. I also cut pieces to fit the ceiling fans with small Velcro tabs to hold them in place. They store under the mattress during the day and stay home in the warmer months.

My wife likes it much warmer than I and she swears they cut the draft. All I know is our our propane tanks last much longer.

FYI, an electric blanket and small heater (where ever she is) are used when hooked to utilities.
Please SeeMore, tell me you take that stuff off the windows quickly in the morning. Here in TX we laugh at the 5th wheeled and plastic sided trailers all closed up with tin foil on their few little windows trying to keep cool, when what they really need is more AC and many less slide outs. "On sub-freezing nights" tells me you are not in a crowded camp ground, so probably nobody sees if you don't.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We were just camping at a rally (without electricity) where it was getting to lows of around 33 the first two nights, then 44 or so the third night. Daytimes were clear and sunny with highs in the 50s. There was also some wind at night. We kept the thermostat between 68 and 72. The fridge was running on propane, and we ran the water heater in the mornings for showers, but not much other times, and we used the stove to heat water for tea two or three times a day. We all but emptied one 30-lb cylinder of propane, which was slightly less than what I expected (during cold weather camping, I expect to go through a 30 lb cylinder of propane every 2 to 3 days, depending on conditions).

Your mileage will vary, but based on the initial description I'd say you did fine. If you use your trailer in cold weather enough times, you'll get a good feel for how much propane it uses over a certain length of time, given different temperatures and cloud cover (sunnier is better).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #33

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I remember one late October weekend camping trip where it was cloudy every day and the temps stayed in the 40's during the day and mid 30's at night. Wind was always blowing. That weekend we used an entire 30 lb bottle. Furnace was on and off constantly. The furnace (mine is 30,000 BTU's) can consume a lot of gas. One of the reasons we tend to use the heat pump more but once you get down below 45, the furnace gives you a little more comfort.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #34
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
HowardL -

Rule #1: whatever makes the missus happy is fine by me regardless of what others think.

However, foil reflectors are usually down by sunrise as my dogs get a morning business walk by 6:30 AM.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Anyone using the later model Polonis Disc?

After posting the internet photo of the Polonis I pulled ours out and noted how much they have changed,(got ours in the 80's)

Gave it a test run two nights ago. Outside 38*, Polonis set at *60
Interior stabilized at *63.7 on the fridge thermometer after 2hrs w/o furnace. Rear bedroom at *58.
I had forgotten how well the thermostat worked, the fan speed had reduced to a soft breeze and the noise cut way down. It still is quite noticeable when first turned on though and there is no manual fan speed setting.

Pretty basic & simple....but it sure works well.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09251.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	199059   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09258.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	199060  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09264.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	199061  
Old 10-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
How much current does it draw?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Crabbery1, I turn my HWH off at night since there is not a need for hot water during the night. It probably doesn't use a significant amount like the furnace but no need for hot water and it heats quickly in the morning. Like others have mentioned, we carry a small electric heater and it's amazing how much heat it puts out in the A/S. We do go with lower evening temperatures because we like it cool to sleep but it needs to be at whatever temperature you feel comfortable. You may want to consider electric blanket as well. For us, we don't leave the electric heater on at night, just during the day/evening.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
How much current does it draw?
Our's draws 10.5a on high, not sure about the newer models.

Bob
Old 10-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We have camped in + 7 degree weather using 2 Polonis space heaters. Each plugged in to a separate 120 volt circuit in the coach.
The coach was plugged in to a 30 amp outlet at the campground.
We were warm and cozy all night.
The furnace was lit and turned on with the thermostat set at 62. It rarely came on. Used the furnace to try to keep the tanks from freezing.
The only things that froze were the dump valves. Which are in the unheated area in the trunk. Moved one of the space heaters to the trunk. After about 5 minutes the dump valves were thawed and operational.

CAUTION! Don't put the space heater in the trunk unattended. Constant monitoring is required to prevent a fire.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Our Pelonis is newer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Anyone using the later model Polonis Disc?

After posting the internet photo of the Polonis I pulled ours out and noted how much they have changed,(got ours in the 80's)

Gave it a test run two nights ago. Outside 38*, Polonis set at *60
Interior stabilized at *63.7 on the fridge thermometer after 2hrs w/o furnace. Rear bedroom at *58.
I had forgotten how well the thermostat worked, the fan speed had reduced to a soft breeze and the noise cut way down. It still is quite noticeable when first turned on though and there is no manual fan speed setting.

Pretty basic & simple....but it sure works well.

Bob
The controls are on the back of our little Pelonis cube. It really puts out the heat....it is in the trailer so I can't check the amps.....we purchased ours in about 2010. One time it would not come on. I took off the filter in the back and cleaned it and then it worked perfectly....not sure what that was about because it didn't look too clogged. We use this heater when we are plugged in to electricity. It is fairly quiet and cycles on and off and keeps us toasty. We don't like a hot trailer for sleeping.....69 or 70 is good for us and we use wool blankets.....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote