Old 10-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #15

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
Man that heater has a great look to it. It would look great in the 76 Argosy...
They have been around since the mid '80's. Still available, still work great!!

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You might consider an electric blanket for your girl friend.
We keep our house at 64. 74 would be uncomfortable for us.

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
There are also heaters that double as fans on warmer days that are portable.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"
1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I have 2ea 30# tanks and have considered my propane usage in detail.
I use one every 3 months.
I soap test my fittings regularly like every 6 months (mine is a stationary situation so no vibration). I have found that if I leave the trailer for 2 to 3 days and try to light the water heater, furnace or cook top that the gas lines are empty so it takes some "purging" of the lines. This means that even though my tank valves are off (I never leave the valves open if I'm away) that there is leakage, it is so slow that the soap test can't see it. That is one way of saving gas.
Next. I never run the furnace over night. When I go to sleep after I heat the trailer up I turn off the tank valves. I use a ceramic heater (if it's really cold) or I bundle up in a good duvet or sleeping bag. I always leave the ceiling vent cracked to allow vaporization of my humid breath to escape the trailer.
I only heat water if I need it. Typically I fire it up at about 1800 until it turns off, Take a shower and there is plenty of hot water for dishes for dinner and "warm water" in the morning for what ever.
A trailer is not, nor should it be, considered a house...though I some times use it as one.
Just keep the tank valves closed, use the gas care fully and you can save a lot of money.
PS Robert Cross's ceramic heater ROCKS!! I got one and it "runs on air"....I also keep a close eye on my electric consumption.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #19

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
If we left our water heater on constantly and used the furnace that much we'd be out of propane in a few days.

We turn the water heater on for an hour or so in the morning and a similar amount in the evening. That doesn't use much propane and we can go for several weeks ( maybe longer) in this mode during the summer. If we use the furnace propane use goes up dramatically.

Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #20

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Prior to going to bed I kind of warm up the trailer then turn in way down. Once comfortable in bed not that much heat is needed. If plugged in at a camp ground then I use a small electric heater I bought at WallyMart.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I had the same question last March when I had filled my tanks then soon after one tank ran out. I learned on the forum to bypass the auto setting on the regulator but after a few nights heating, cooking, heating up water, the tank was empty. Come to find out, there was a leak at a fitting. Since I left the tank valves closed when not in use I was surprised at the loss. I bought some of that leak spray and was amazed at the leakage rate. Check for leaks too.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
These are some great tip everyone. I really appreciate the advice. I like the idea of turning on the water heater only once a day or so. Sounds like a good plan. Plus I have an Electric ignition inside the trailer which makes this super easy. Thanks for that. We did order t2 space heaters so I hope that those help out as well. We just had family spend the weekend in the trailer in the driveway and they used only a small space heater. They said it kept them toasty. Finally, I have checked for leaks thoroughly but I never checked the tanks. Maybe they have leaks... I will do so asap. Thanks again.
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Be aware that those space heaters draw about 10 amps on the low setting. But they will keep your girlfriend warm.
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is simply a glass that was over designed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #24
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
FYI, a 20 pound LP tank is about 5 gallons, a 30 pound is about 7, and a 40 pounder is about 9 gallons.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
So About 2 months ago I filled our 2 - 7 gallon tanks and installed them giving us 15 gallons on LP gas to use. Since then we have been on 2 camping trips, both of which were 2 nights each. On both trips we used the furnace set to about 70-75 at night and did not need it on during the day. Let's say for about 10 hours per day or so. The temp ay night was mid 40's - low 50's. We also had the Water Heater on 24/7 for both trips but did not use much hot water. We also cooked a bit with the stove top and oven.

Aside from that, I have been using the furnace these past 5 days because I have been working on the trailer at night and the temp is in the low 50's...

Anyway, I am now out of LP gas. Does this seem like a normal scenario to you guys who have used LP gas a lot? Am I expecting too much from the tanks? Do I just need to be more conservative with my usage? Or is there a leak somewhere in my system that I am unaware of? (Believe me, I have been checking)
Just got back from 3 weeks camping Mts. Of New Mexico. Ran water heat on electric. Cooked with gas stove 2-3 times. Ran heat maybe 14 nights, but set at 67 with outside temp average 50 and seemed like furnace ran a lot. Less than one tank used--Still on the same tank we started with.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #26
Vince & Virginia
1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California

You didn't mention your refrigerator. Did you run it on propane or electricity? That does seem like a lot of propane to go through in only two trips. We can do multiple weekend trips (using the fridge, furnace and water heater) and not run out of propane that fast. Like your girlfriend, I prefer it toasty.

Definitely check for leaks as well as make sure they really gave you FULL tanks.

PS Also, make sure your thermostat is really OFF when you're not using it - the switch on our sticks and the furnace sometimes runs when we aren't in there. (Rather dangerous)
Virginia (SoCal Silver Sister)

"The Towster" 1969 Globetrotter 21' (Silver)
"The Yeti" 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 8.1 Allison Crew Cab (White)
"The Boat" Old Town Canoe Discovery 174 (Green)
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We have tracked our usage over the last month of outings ... 5 nights / 10 days with the temp set to 69 degrees at night (but we have had some very cold nights down below freezing around here)... one 7 gal tank used! Limited water heater use - only before doing dishes two times; refrigerator on during that interval.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I fixed my leak yesterday. It was leaking at the coupling hose right off the regulator- bubbling like crazy. I tightened it as tight as it would go and it still was leaking. Then I took off all that old gas thread tape that they say to use as a thread sealer. My father saw that stuff and said to me, "don't ever use that junk again, I have something much better." He got his thread sealer glue and it worked beautifully. He uses it for his work on generators and tanks, etc. So, the consumption in my case was leakage plus use.

2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat