Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #29
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Doorgunner, do your original valves have any kind of manufacturer's markings on them? Also, could you post a couple of closer-up pics of the original valves with integrated sending units?
Thanks,

Lynn

Old 09-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #30
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
as requested!!

inner control panel, scale and close up of italian valve on worthington tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	extras 297.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	67659   Click image for larger version

Name:	extras 300.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	67660  

Name:	extras 301.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	67661   Click image for larger version

Name:	extras 302.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	67662  

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #31
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
How it works

If you just hook up the tanks there is an immediate equalization of pressure, hardly any transfer of lp.
For transfer to happen you need to have a change in pressure, 2 changes works better.
one tank goes in the direct sun (donor tank) the other tank in the shade or cooled somehow. The greater the temp change the faster the transfer happens.Keep in mind we are working majic here. gas to fluid, and back and forth.condensation, etc
Here are some #'s I got from the propane institute.
First # outside temp/Vapor pressure PSI.
20F/42PSI--30F/53PSI--40F/65PSI--50F/78PSI--60F/93PSI--70F/110PSI--
80F/128PSI--90F/150PSI--100F/177PSI--110F/204PSI
Are you pickin up what I'm puttin down??
If you don't "get "this or are the kind of person that can get both their hands caught in a vise then PLEASE forget all about this thread.

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 09-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #32
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large

Fascinating

Attached Images

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #33
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Fascinating

Hmm.. I wonder if you put Mr. Spock in the sun, flipped him upside down, put someone in the shade upright, wrapped them in a cold towel, and put the Vulcan Mind Meld on them...........

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #34
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Would the person standing upright turn into Mr. Spock. Is that the question?
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
So um a well canadiens aren't smart enough to refill cylinders? I hope this to be a isolated incident- Shack- as I like the "Great White North". You do a lot of "diving" at the dump?
DG
I was the Canadian showing the operator in New York how to fill the tank.
And yes, you wouldn't believe what people toss out at the dump. I got an up to date propane tank with OPD valve there.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:37 AM   #36
Bambi Hunter

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
For transfer to happen you need to have a change in pressure, 2 changes works better.
one tank goes in the direct sun (donor tank) the other tank in the shade or cooled somehow. The greater the temp change the faster the transfer happens.
Which one goes in the Sun, again? Ooops!

Name:   nuclear1.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  4.6 KB
Old 09-19-2008, 06:28 AM   #37
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Would the person standing upright turn into Mr. Spock. Is that the question?
Seems "logical".

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #38
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
You guys are spending way too much time in the "Holodeck". Come back to reality!
So when those of you nay sayers are out of selenium crystals and come begging at my door for some--- guess what. Scotty's on break right now.

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 09-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Don't get caught transporting a refilled 'disposable' cylinder. DOT takes serious actions AFTER the fact if an incident occurs.

Also... indulge me a bit of story telling?

Fifteen below Zero. One dry-walled room in a steel shed. 11pm Friday night after a long week and a 120 mile drive to the country property.

Need to light fire ASAP, Pot-Belly coal stove. Figure to use propane torch easiest short cut. Find kit, assemble torch, lay kindling bed and wood fire in hopes to start huge-chunk coal fire from the ton of coal I knew was frozen into rock hard mass on north side of steel building. Fire lit.

Go outside to get coal, obtain precious few huge chunks, boogie back inside (leaving door open with hands full) and break a chunk into smaller ones, place in wood fire, add more wood, put large chunks in. Turn and pick-up torch, unscrew torch head toward reassembling kit box for next time.

Valve fails in cold. Five-foot plume of propane rocketing out of cylinder EIGHTEEN inches from roaring coal stove. Hail-Mary spastic backwards sidearm toss while flinching moved cylinder rocketing towards door. Cylinder finds dark spot twenty feet away at far end of room and disappears into the night. Follow cylinder out door. Freeze for five minutes waiting for building to go boom.

Not worth playing with disposable cylinders, the seals are made for only a few uses. Yes sure, the cold amplified the hazard, but who is to say if it could not happen again on a nice sunny day at a camp spot turned into a picnic for ophans hosted by nuns.

Get a 5-pound or 11-pound mini-cylinder with internal needle valve and the usual style fittings.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Doorgunner,

After all the kidding is done, I can appreciate what you did. You had a problem. Technical solutions such as a like kind instrumented valve replacement - not available. Finding someone capable AND willing to fill the existing tanks - not available. Finding a way to to do it yourself - priceless. Height difference in the presence of gravity, pressure difference in a closed system, and temperature difference to maintain the pressure difference are all simple and consistent laws of physics applicable to moving liquid from one location to another. I also appreciate your willingness to share it with us (whether believers or not). The next time I'm looking to have automatic weapons fired from my side door, you're the kind of gunner I'm looking for. The kind that will find a way to get the job done.

Roy
Old 09-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Don't get caught transporting a refilled 'disposable' cylinder. DOT takes serious actions AFTER the fact if an incident occurs.

Also... indulge me a bit of story telling?

Fifteen below Zero. One dry-walled room in a steel shed. 11pm Friday night after a long week and a 120 mile drive to the country property.

Need to light fire ASAP, Pot-Belly coal stove. Figure to use propane torch easiest short cut. Find kit, assemble torch, lay kindling bed and wood fire in hopes to start huge-chunk coal fire from the ton of coal I knew was frozen into rock hard mass on north side of steel building. Fire lit.

Go outside to get coal, obtain precious few huge chunks, boogie back inside (leaving door open with hands full) and break a chunk into smaller ones, place in wood fire, add more wood, put large chunks in. Turn and pick-up torch, unscrew torch head toward reassembling kit box for next time.

Valve fails in cold. Five-foot plume of propane rocketing out of cylinder EIGHTEEN inches from roaring coal stove. Hail-Mary spastic backwards sidearm toss while flinching moved cylinder rocketing towards door. Cylinder finds dark spot twenty feet away at far end of room and disappears into the night. Follow cylinder out door. Freeze for five minutes waiting for building to go boom.

Not worth playing with disposable cylinders, the seals are made for only a few uses. Yes sure, the cold amplified the hazard, but who is to say if it could not happen again on a nice sunny day at a camp spot turned into a picnic for ophans hosted by nuns.

Get a 5-pound or 11-pound mini-cylinder with internal needle valve and the usual style fittings.

AMEN! Those disposable cylinders ARE useful if you're hiking, etc. But they are wastefully expensive when used on a regular basis. I also like the idea of simply using a flex hose and hooking up to the tank on your trailer.

Paula
Old 09-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #42
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Strangely enough, I bought a 20 pound OPD tank with gauge from Camping World. I wonder if there is a way to transfer the gauge stuff, or just buy the gauge stuff outright? It would save a lot of grey hair. And yes, I got it so we didn't go through a hundred little disposable bottles for our grill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	opd gauge 001.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	68110