Old 07-01-2004, 11:46 PM   #15
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander
I thought that one of them still had some propane in it because it's 8 pounds heavier than the other
Grant, look at the markings around the collar of the tanks. One of the markings should have the letters TW followed by some numbers. TW stands for Tare Weight, which refers to the weight of the tank without propane. If you have an empty tank, it should weight at or near the TW.

If both tanks are the standard 7-gallon size, their TWs should be fairly close, though not necessarily identical. Our two tanks were bought side-by-side, same store, same manufacturer. They have different TWs.

Lynn

Old 07-02-2004, 09:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Grant, look at the markings around the collar of the tanks. One of the markings should have the letters TW followed by some numbers. TW stands for Tare Weight, which refers to the weight of the tank without propane. If you have an empty tank, it should weight at or near the TW.

If both tanks are the standard 7-gallon size, their TWs should be fairly close, though not necessarily identical. Our two tanks were bought side-by-side, same store, same manufacturer. They have different TWs.

Lynn
Thanks Lynn, I guess the difference in weight is not due to propane. One tank has a TW of 24, the other is 30 1/2. They appear to be the same, but maybe were made by different manufacturers.
I've ordered 2 aluminum tanks from Airstream Dreams and I have a new regulator that I got from Inland RV, so hopefully I will soon be able to try out the stove, fridge, furnace and water heater.

Grant