Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Propane tank lock

I saw a lock that threaded onto the top of the 30" rod to lock the tanks, I have Aluminum so I don't want to make it easy.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The ones of that type I have seen have a very cheap wafer lock in them, and can easily rust up too. I would suggest a coated cable an higher quality lock. At least that is what I use.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

a , wanderer
Is this the one you're talking about?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...tml#post483695
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
yes that's the one I want, infact I saw it on his trailer last year.

where can I get it?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I got that lock from Lewster, but this looks very similar:
Spare Tire Carrier Lock Master Lock Locks 262DAT

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Tks Rich, Gander Mtn 6.99 free ship

Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
My husband drilled ours for a padlock. He is a locksmith and likes things to be secure. If you want I can take a photo and upload it.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I drilled a hole down through the aluminum T-nut and on through the strap that goes across the tank cover. I use a long hasp padlock. The padlock must go in upside down, so it takes some blind probing to get the key into the padlock. I only ever have to unlock it a couple times a year, so that isn't much of a hassle.

BTW, I was at the region rally last year and an old guy doing leakage tests gave me holy hell for having the tanks locked. He was sure that my trailer would catch fire and some good Samaritan would run up and quick remove the tanks before the fire got to them. I asked him what the percentage chance would be that such a fire would ever occur and that a good Samaritan would be conveniently standing by and would have the cojones to charge up and remove the tanks from a trailer on fire. He didn't have much of an answer to that.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I drilled a hole down through the aluminum T-nut and on through the strap that goes across the tank cover. I use a long hasp padlock. The padlock must go in upside down, so it takes some blind probing to get the key into the padlock. I only ever have to unlock it a couple times a year, so that isn't much of a hassle.

BTW, I was at the region rally last year and an old guy doing leakage tests gave me holy hell for having the tanks locked. He was sure that my trailer would catch fire and some good Samaritan would run up and quick remove the tanks before the fire got to them. I asked him what the percentage chance would be that such a fire would ever occur and that a good Samaritan would be conveniently standing by and would have the cojones to charge up and remove the tanks from a trailer on fire. He didn't have much of an answer to that.
No kiddin' . . I'd be thinking about how to get mine hitched and moving out of that county, pronto, were a trailer nearby me on fire.

I've also seen around here where someone drilled the bottle base circle and through the tongue base stand to install an ABUS Diskus shrouded padlock; one per bottle.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote