Old 05-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Propane Tank Level

What are AS folks using to measure how much propane is left in each tank?

PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
I do not measure, no need to.

Leave the tank valves open on both tanks. Keep looking at the fuel level indicator. When it changes from green to red it's time to point the changeover valve to the other full tank, then re-fill the empty tank. You just have to remember to look at the indicator.

Use one tank until empty, switch over the valve to use from the other tank. Fill the empty tank. Keep rotating, emptying the full tank before moving the valve position to the other tank, filling the empty as soon as it is empty.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I only open one bottle at a time. When it quits I switch and fill the empty. I have not found a reliable indicator of the propane level in a tank. I would not pay much for one if I did.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I only open one bottle at a time. When it quits I switch and fill the empty. I have not found a reliable indicator of the propane level in a tank. I would not pay much for one if I did.

ditto!
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I just leave one open and when it's empty, switch to other and refill the empty. But to answer your question, If I'm really curious, I heat up water in my kettle and pour it down the side of the tank. You will be able to feel where the propane level is, the tank will get colder below where the propane is in the tank. (The propane absorbs the heat from the water, the empty section of tank above does not). Old school trick.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Tank Check works, just have to replace the batteries annually.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ck-169238.html
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I just leave one open and when it's empty, switch to other and refill the empty. But to answer your question, If I'm really curious, I heat up water in my kettle and pour it down the side of the tank. You will be able to feel where the propane level is, the tank will get colder below where the propane is in the tank. (The propane absorbs the heat from the water, the empty section of tank above does not). Old school trick.
Neat. Thanks for that.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 25' Safari
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
South West , USA
I also only open one at a time then switch over and refill as required. Every now and then it can be 3:00 am and cold!

A bathroom scale is what I use at home. 30 lb. steel tanks weigh 'about' 23 lbs. empty. When full 30 lb. tanks weigh 'about' 53 lbs. With a little simple math, a 30 lb. steel tank that weighs 'about' 38 lbs. is half full, or half empty if that's what you like.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Propane Tank Level

I replaced my primary two 20 pound tanks with new ones that have a mechanical gauge on them. Just open the lid occasionally and look at the dial. Got them at Samís Club.

The spares I carry when needed are just ordinary standard tanks.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
We enter each propane tank fill up in the trailer's log book, with a brief note about weather temp etc., so it is easy to review the last fill, and the frequency of fills. Unless you are in very cold weather running the heat a lot, there is usually plenty of lead time to get a refill.

Whether you check the red flag for the tank switch over, or manually turn off one tank, plenty of lead time. The other full 30-pound tank will last a while.
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
I just got the Topeka Tank Check and i love it. I am a gadget guy so..... I got it on Amazon and the set up was easy. I use the app not the little gauge that came with it. I even got a 3rd sensor for my home BBQ tank. The app allows more then 2 tanks to be monitored vs the 2 that can be supported by the gauge it come with.

B
Bradley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Here's another vote for the Mopeka (note spelling) TankCheck. I've been using a pair of these sensors with their iPhone app for several months now, and the system has worked flawlessly and accurately. Installation is dead simple: just place a sensor on the bottom center of each tank (powerful magnets hold them in place), then download and run the app.

There's no need to go outside and open the lid--you can check propane level from anywhere in your rig. (If you don't have a smartphone, they also sell a small wireless monitor panel that can be wall-mounted.) I've tried many propane-level solutions in the past, from inline pressure gauges to liquid crystal strips, but none has worked reliably. This setup does. Highly recommended!
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
Here's another vote for the Mopeka (note spelling) TankCheck. I've been using a pair of these sensors with their iPhone app for several months now, and the system has worked flawlessly and accurately. Installation is dead simple: just place a sensor on the bottom center of each tank (powerful magnets hold them in place), then download and run the app.

There's no need to go outside and open the lid--you can check propane level from anywhere in your rig. (If you don't have a smartphone, they also sell a small wireless monitor panel that can be wall-mounted.) I've tried many propane-level solutions in the past, from inline pressure gauges to liquid crystal strips, but none has worked reliably. This setup does. Highly recommended!

Agreed. Just make sure you stock the batteries so that when they die on the ~1 year mark you have them ready.

Now if someone could make something so simple for my black/gray/fresh thanks...I wonder if their ultrasonic pulse method could work for something as dense as water...
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Have you ever seen the "hot water" trick?
Take a pan of hot water, not boiling, and slowly pour it down the side of the tank. Slide your hand down the outside and the temperature will change where the liquid is.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote