Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Propane tank leaking out of Allen screw on valve

Hello all, I'm on the road. When I parked today I noticed a strong odor of propane and a hissing sound. Upon further inspection my tank is leaking out of the valve with Allen screw. It seems to be an over pressure relief or something. Has anyone ran into this and should I be concerned?

I removed the bottle and set away from the camper until i remedy the situation, thanks!!
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
You could have 2 different things going on, If your tank was filled in the morning when it was cool and then started leaking when it warmed up later in the day, then you just have an overpressure issue and after it stops venting you can use it again. The other is the safety valve is kaput, take it to a propane distribution center and they can test your valve assembly.
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
Vintagemotor, thanks for the response. I believe it's an overfill situation. I filled it up right before I left on our trip, we're in high altitude and it's warm today. I left it a ways from anything for a while and when I returned it was no longer hissing. I installed it and immediately began cooking to reduce the volume. It seems fine now, thanks for the insight.
oldtrucksrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
put soapy water on the valve to see where the leak is
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #5
Classy Roscoe

Smile

Be sure that the tank relief valve is just not open.

There is a (usually) slotted screw on the side of the main valve body that the attendant will open just a bit while filling the bottle.

Once topped off correctly the small screw is closed and the filling process is stopped. The tank is then correctly filled and an expansion area remains in the top of the bottle for expansion.

Your bottle may have an Allen screw for this purpose and it just did not get closed completely and the higher elevation with some warmth is causing it to bleed.

If you have the proper wrench, give it a bit of clockwise turn and thd problem is fixed.

Enjoy your outing.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
put soapy water on the valve to see where the leak is
Absolutely overfill. Just had the same. The cross head screw on the side will allow you to release the excess. If it is over filled, ir will not release from the main valve.

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote