Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Sisters , Oregon
Propane tank

I attempted to obtain the first refill of a propane tank from our 2010 23' Int'l but the tank would not accept refilling. The attendant said possibly the inside float valve was not functioning. The local propane supplier (Ed Staub) said if I drive 23 miles to their facility they can replace the valve for $25.- Have others had this problem?
Alfresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It's probably fine. I'm guessing operator error. If you take it to their main plant someone can probably figure it out without replacing anything.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Occasionally, I run across cylinders that have so much air expansion within that our pump won't hardly push propane in. I have to bleed off some of the air, then fill the cylinder. Even more common is to find folks with full or nearly full cylinders that "won't work." Same problem: Too much air expansion within. I bleed some of the air and hand the tank back to them. (Typically, these are folks who had the cylinders filled at very different elevations/temperatures from here.)

Lynn
Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Did they vent while filling? there is a screw on the side of the valve.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Michelle, in some states (maybe many?), venting during filling is either strongly discouraged or outright forbidden. It allows too much propane to escape into the atmosphere.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Did they vent while filling? there is a screw on the side of the valve.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Try picking the tank up maybe a foot or so off the ground then whack it back down rather hard. Sometimes the safety float thing hangs up inside preventing filling. Might take several whacks. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Once I carried mine to the local Butane dealer and had it laying horizontal (not recommended) in the back of the minivan. The mechanism got temporarily stuck in the failsafe position. The aforementioned vertical bounce on the ground set it all straight and life was good again. When they first started filling the new style tanks they sometimes opened the fill valve too quickly and that seemed to trigger a failure mode. Since then they always open the valve slowly and the tank fills normally.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Sisters , Oregon
alfresco

Two different suppliers were unable to fill the tank. Both had opened the vent screw. I will try the downward thrust motion to loosen the float valve.That makes the most sense as to cause.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
If it won't come unstuck from the banging, it's not that bad. Changing out OPD valves on *steel cylinders is a fairly quick-and-dirty job if they have some means to hold the cylinder stationary while they screw out/in the valve. Since valve change-out has been a fairly common job for the last 9 years, I suspect most dealers have figured out some means to hold cylinders.

*Steel. If you have aluminum cylinders, they'll need to take care to select the proper replacement valve. Aluminum cylinders are a bit taller than the corresponding steel cylinders, requiring a lengthier valve.

Lynn
Old 06-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Sisters , Oregon
Banging the tank on the ground did finally free up the interior float valve. Thanks for the input