Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Propane stove question

Am renovating an 85, put in a new two burner propane stove. Had AS dealer install new propane tanks and regulator, I'm only using has for this stove and furnace (not fridge and oven).

Issue is...when I switch on the gas...The stove will light just for a second, then shut off...so I assume gas is not flowing correctly (yes tanks are full).

Is this a regulator problem?

Thanks!
Stonew98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonew98 View Post
Am renovating an 85, put in a new two burner propane stove. Had AS dealer install new propane tanks and regulator, I'm only using has for this stove and furnace (not fridge and oven).

Issue is...when I switch on the gas...The stove will light just for a second, then shut off...so I assume gas is not flowing correctly (yes tanks are full).

Thanks!
Are you holding the knob in long enough to heat the thermocoupler? It is designed to shut off until it is heated. A safety feature to stop unlit gas.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
If you are holding long enough and it still shuts off, it could be a bad or misaligned thermo coupler. The fact that it lights at all shows some gas is flowing.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonew98 View Post

Thanks!
Many possible causes. Yes, it could be a bad regulator.

But first, check to see whether the regulator is showing red on the empty tank indicator. If it is, it is possible that the excess flow shutoff valve has tripped on the connections to your propane tanks. It may help matters to close the tank valves, wait a minute or so, and then reopen them slowly.

If the indicator is green then your problem is likely to be with the regulator or piping.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
So here's the thing...if i stick my ear down by the stove I can hear the gas for two seconds then it does, just like the flame. Doesn't appear to be anyway to adjust the thermocouples on my stove...even if I use a lighter and heat up the thermocouple real good the same thing happens.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
...and now the furnace doesn't light...hmmm...
Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I had a similar problem with a stove. It would light briefly then go out. Wait a while, try again, and get the same results. Turns out I had a blockage in the line between the regulator and the appliance. Some gas could pass the blockage slowly and re-pressurize the line to the stove over time. I cured the problem by disconnecting the propane line downstream of the regulator and at the stove, then used compressed air to blow the line out from the stove to the front of the trailer. Blew a dead insect out of the line. Then reconnected the lines. Everything worked after that. A crushed propane line could possibly cause the same results.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
I am "bench testing" my appliances and was able to get a regulator and short hose with the proper fitting (3/8" flare in my case) on it to connect a propane tank directly to the appliances for $15 at my local hardware store. It is a gas grill accessory. This allows me to test the appliance with all of the other distribution out of the system.

Also, a simple pressure test gauge could help you solve your mystery.
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote