Old 09-14-2005, 02:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
I've also had a failure of the regulator. Lamar
Lamar, this link
goes to a thread describing total regulator failures. If yours was a Marshall 2- stage regulator, the thread gives the phone number and reference number to report such failures to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Such action might eventually lead to a safer product. Nick.

Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 AM   #16
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Nick,

Thanks. It was a Marshall, but this was years ago (circa 1995) and it was not a crimped model. I think it was the one that came on the trailer in 1975, and it was simply old and worn out.

The diaphragm is what failed on this one.

1975 Argosy 28 "Argosy"
1979 Excella 500 31 "Betsy"
1992 Lincoln Mk 7 LSC
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:20 AM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
And since we're talking about leaks, it's worth mentioning that many vintage trailers will not have three important safety features - smoke alarm, CO alarm, and LP detector. They are easy to add, so don't wait!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #18
1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
I have been struggling with the same issue. I finally found a furnace propane person that has agreed to trouble shoot my system and adjust the piolt lights - while I watch. If you are camping ant the same proble comes up I think you need to know what to do. I had the local rv dealer check it out and he put a new employee on it that was a dim bulb. I find it best to Check the checker.
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #19
1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Exclamation Sububan furnace/hot water heater Pilot Light Problem

Is there an upgrade for the older furnaces, hot water or stoves. My furnace pilot goes out after the first cycle. The hot water is better but it too goes out if we travel at all. I have been told it is better to purchase a new furnace and water heater but I see the same issue regarding newer models. Are the new ones any better? Regrettably Atwood and Suburban seem to be our only alternatives.

Why can't we just upgrade the pilot light?
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee

I just get a 73 31' Excella. It sound a lot like yours. Its in good original shape but that's 33 years old. My propane system leaked as soon as I turned on the tank. I could smell it at the source. I have the 30# aluminum tanks and the original Fisher regulator (no longer made and no repair kits). No one will rebuild these because of liability and newer models although not as tough are fairly cheap.

This is what I did and I'm no plumber.

1. Located someone who would recertify the tanks including replacing the old valve for and OPD (overfill protection device). This was $31 per tank. Remember to check that its a valve suited for aluminun not steel.
2. Disassembled the Fisher valve and the diaphragms are shot. It's still cool to see how a simple mechanical system can automatically switch tanks and indicate which tank is being used.
3. Got a new valve (Marshall 254) from Palamino when I got my new Dometic refrigerator with flexible hoses.
4. Now, I will turn off all of the valves in the trailer both under the unit and near the appliances and start checking with the nose and soapy water.
5. If valves need replacing, this will be a learning experience and the next step to aluminum nirvana.

Whatever you do , don't let those aluminum tanks go. New ones are $150 with OPD valves plus shipping. They are the originals and will maintain the vintage look of your fine Excella.

Good luck.

Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote