4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Hey Don,

I haven't noticed any 'trend' yet.......but I'll keep a look out of I get a rash of low output regulators.
If you are interested we could compare the manometer I built to your gauge at the balloon Fiesta. Iit should always be in calibration unless I did something that would restrict pressure to the tube. If so I don't want to keep using it.

Not to hijack the thread but might also need you to troubleshoot my electric brakes, intermittent short shows on Prodigy but brakes still work. Prodigy was replaced but made no difference. Didn't have this problem till we bought current trailer. Airstream (Jackson Center) said they think it is in the truck connector but I think he let his probe short to the center pin which would show resistance through the backup light bulb filaments to ground. If you have equipment to simulate load to truck connector or power trailer cable to check current draw I may need some service. You can let me know by PM off thread.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , B.C.
Trouble shoot propane system?

I am very new here.

The situation is that a good friend has offered me the use of her rural property and 1973 Airstream for weekending if she is not using it.

She just bought it 2nd hand and towed it to her place last weekend, and I'm going tomorrow. She has asked me to look at the system to see why the stove will not turn on.

She was told the propane works, but when she tried it it didn't.

There is a furnace, fridge and stove. I'm primarily interested in getting the stove going.

Where do I start in troubleshooting this system?

I had a cabin once with a simple propane system, one stove and one lamp, but that is all I know about using propane besides the BBQ.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
I replaced mine. Compared to your other upgrades a new regulator is inexpensive. I got mine here.

Thanks for the site. I need that exact regulator also and the cover too. My old regulator lets the gas flow past the regulator from the full tank and into the hose of the empty tank. I discovered this when I was removing the empty tank to get it refilled.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am reviving this thread with a question.

While traveling this summer I noticed some erratic behavior with most of my LP devices, including yellow tipped stove flames, among other odd behaviors. This occurred above 6000' elevation.

So I eliminated all the obvious checks and decided when I got home to buy a quality LP pressure gauge. Like the above posts, I found my static pressure to be low measured at the disconnected stove line BEFORE or upstream of the additional stove "step down" regulator. I found my static (closed system) pressure to be a wee bit over 9". After turning on the furnace, I measured the "loaded" pressure to be just below 8".

I found a propane website which recommended adjusting the WG pressure to 11" WITH a high demand device ON. Then the static pressure should rise to no more than 14" with the load turned off.

I adjusted to 11" and my static rise was to 12.5".

My question is: I find no reference to this methodology in any of the threads on Airforums. Should static pressure be 11" or dynamic pressure be 11"?

Lewster???????

Edit: Here is the site I took my advice from.

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2002/01/what...ne-system.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

While traveling this summer I noticed some erratic behavior with most of my LP devices, including yellow tipped stove flames, among other odd behaviors. This occurred above 6000' elevation.

So I eliminated all the obvious checks and decided when I got home to buy a quality LP pressure gauge. Like the above posts, I found my static pressure to be low measured at the disconnected stove line BEFORE or upstream of the additional stove "step down" regulator. I found my static (closed system) pressure to be a wee bit over 9". After turning on the furnace, I measured the "loaded" pressure to be just below 8".

I found a propane website which recommended adjusting the WG pressure to 11" WITH a high demand device ON. Then the static pressure should rise to no more than 14" with the load turned off.

My question is: I find no reference to this methodology in any of the threads on Airforums. Should static pressure be 11" or dynamic pressure be 11"?

Lewster???????

Edit: Here is the site I took my advice from.

The RV Doctor: What the Pro's Do - Propane System
Ths static pressure should be set to 11 to 13 inches of water column pressure.

If you will go to higher altitudes, then set it to 13 inches. Then it will work fine for all occasions.

Andy
Old 08-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, Andy. Sounds like my adjustment is right in the ball park then?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:

This is only because of the elevation and has nothing to do with the gas pressure. The lower atmospheric pressure results in an excessively rich mixture at the burner. On some appliances there are air shutters that can be adjusted to compensate but they then have to be adjusted back when returning to lower elevations.

Quote:

The detailed answer is that the pressure should be within the input specifications of all operating appliances whenever any combination of them is operating. The pressure limits should be on the nameplate. From what I was able to find, the Atwood furnaces will accept 10-14" and Atwood water heaters 11-13". Most appliance gas valves have an integral regulator and can therefore accept a range of input pressures with no effect on operation.

Regulators are never perfect and there are some losses in the piping system so the pressure will always fluctuate somewhat depending on demand.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, Jammer.

I was unable to get a satisfactory adjustment with the shutter on the water heater. Sporadic non ignition and a really odd flame. Not rich and smokey....just uneven and erratic. It was fine below 5000 - 6000 feet, both before ascent and after descent. Just prompted me to look further when I got home and found the pressure quite low.

I didn't try the furnace and the fridge worked ok (but it is cool up there) and can't see the flame readily anyway.

Water heater is at the "end of the line". Just for grins, I should have checked how low it was there. I checked at the stove, so I'd bet the water heater supply pressure was even a bit lower.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Thanks, Jammer.

I was unable to get a satisfactory adjustment with the shutter on the water heater. Sporadic non ignition and a really odd flame. Not rich and smokey....just uneven and erratic.
It is possible that you were outside the adjustment range for the shutter. At those altitudes, even with it fullly open, there may not have been enough air.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Possible. In addition my stove flame was yellow peaked and my grill didn't work very well (but I think that is a separate issue with its regulator). Incidentally, poor performance was noted on one tank @ 1/4 full and the other tank @ 7/8 full.....filled from different vendors.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks, Jammer.

I was unable to get a satisfactory adjustment with the shutter on the water heater. Sporadic non ignition and a really odd flame. Not rich and smokey....just uneven and erratic. It was fine below 5000 - 6000 feet, both before ascent and after descent. Just prompted me to look further when I got home and found the pressure quite low.

I didn't try the furnace and the fridge worked ok (but it is cool up there) and can't see the flame readily anyway.

Water heater is at the "end of the line". Just for grins, I should have checked how low it was there. I checked at the stove, so I'd bet the water heater supply pressure was even a bit lower.
When everything is functioning properly, and the LPG pressure is set to 13" of water column, the water heater, with an adjustment of the air, should work OK up to about 12,000 feet altitude.

If not, then there is a problem with something.

Andy
Old 05-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #26

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Regulators are generally NOT field serviceable. That said, when you throw in the relatively low cost of a new part into the overall safety equation, it makes no sense to mess with an old one.

I have been perticularly impressed with the new Cavagna #70-A-190-0016, 2-stage regulator. They are well made and have a very large window at the top to easily see the fill conditions of your tanks, and a lge knob to switch tanks that is easy to use. They retail for about $53.
Hey Lewster, That Cavagna regulator you mentioned is alluding my google search - cant find it anywhere but this one - Cavagna (52-A-890-0006C) is readily available. Any idea what the difference between the two is?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #27

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
oops - I just realized that I was reading a thread that is 4 years old.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I know this is an old thread but it is pertinent for me.

What is the best auto change over regulator? The one I have is manual with no indicator to show if a tank is empty. Your input would be appreciated as always!

Thanks!