Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Propane Lighting

As we bring our 71 back into shape we are trying to maintain everything as original as possible. I presume that the propane lights Airstream offered were an option. They have been listed on Ebay but seem very pricy - however, we found a source for new ones that look much like the originals.

With that in mind the question/your opinion asked is - would you install a propane light in a 71 Overlander as a vintage accessory since it was available on that model. Also, if you have one - does it cause soot build up on the ceiling?

Thanks for your thoughts....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey there Gary ,

I would put it in your airstream .It gives that authentic appeal your after.
And in a worst case scenario ,no power ,you would have light if needed .I
have the original lamp in my 60 with coleman mantles from the 60s new in
the wax paper with one in the lamp at the ready ! Of the ones I have used in trailers (not yet on my trdwnd) I don't recall really any trouble with soot .
Id not mount it any higher than it would have been originally if your coach had it .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Does anyone know the carbon monoxide situation with these lamps? Is there a requirement to keep a top vent open, or at least cracked? I've recovered one from a '71 Overlander (the one in Baker) and have considered it a good idea for really cold days or when the battery gets low. It also gives you a feeling of the "old days" when a tent was all you had.

Zep
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Does anyone know the carbon monoxide situation with these lamps? Is there a requirement to keep a top vent open, or at least cracked?
Zep

Flame = need for venting.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Zep ~ The production of CO is always an issue. If it does not produce CO it will still deplete the Oxygen in the trailer. The bottom line is: crack a window and have a working CO detector.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I highly recommend putting in a gas lamp.

When I burn mine, which is almost everynight as I'm straightening up before bed, I crack the galley window about an inch and open the top rectangular vent about a half inch. On cold morningas, I light it when I light the burner for coffee just to take the edge off. One very cold night, I left it one all night just for the heat. As long as the lamp has a shield above it, you shouldn't have an issue with soot.

Here's a couple of pictures of mine showing location. You'll want to put it in a place where you won't be bumping it with your head or any flammable item as the globe gets very hot. Don't ask me how I know.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GasliteAF.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	35350   Click image for larger version

Name:	VeritasAF.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	35351  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I keep thinking I want to add a propane lamp to my rig and have gotten so far as bidding now and then. One major problem for me has been figuring out where to mount it so the lighting would have the greatest effect.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking about mounting it about where the bottom of the extinguisher is in the photo. Thermostat is for the original air conditioned so not an issue. It's still there because it was - so it will stay. Pardon my manners by the way - here's the link to the new Humphrey Paulin lights. Not as reto/kewl as the one Flyfshr has but seems to me to be better than fighting for one on Ebay......

propaneproducts.com: Gas Lights

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
I presume that the propane lights Airstream offered were an option ... if you have one - does it cause soot build up on the ceiling?
Hi Gary:

Most, if not all, propane lights have an adjustment for the air-to-fuel ratio, so if a light you install is creating some soot, you can and should adjust it. Soot would indicate too much fuel and not enough air, so increase the size of the air intake opening. The adjustment mechansim is typically found at the base of the stem near the wall mounting plate. Some are threaded, others just slide.

Most propane lights also have a shield or deflector above the globe top vent opening to dispurse the hot air and discourage staining of the ceiling or wall. Some people have installed a metal plate or heat shield on the ceiling itself, especially if the light is mounted high, close to the ceiling.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking about mounting it about where the bottom of the extinguisher is in the photo. Thermostat is for the original air conditioned so not an issue. It's still there because it was - so it will stay. Pardon my manners by the way - here's the link to the new Humphrey Paulin lights. Not as reto/kewl as the one Flyfshr has but seems to me to be better than fighting for one on Ebay......

propaneproducts.com: Gas Lights
Gary,
That Paulin/Humphrey is the light that was orginally used in the 70's vintage units. I plan on adding one to mine when it goes back together for all the reasons Fred listed.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
If it were me I would move the extinguisher and put the light there. You want it as high as possible but with adequate clearance (@10") to the ceiling. They don't make soot, but they use oxygen and they run hot like a coleman lantern. You've got LP for the refrigerator right there too and just need to tap into the supply line. The old copper is no doubt work hardened so use a torch to anneal it before trying to flare it for the fittings. I particularly like getting both heat and light from the same device. The fragile mantle also makes a good vibration monitor for wheel balance. If it breaks every time you move the trailer it make indicate excess vibration. I wouldn't have rig, vintager or new, without one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excella's gasight.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	35354  

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Zep ~ The production of CO is always an issue. If it does not produce CO it will still deplete the Oxygen in the trailer. The bottom line is: crack a window and have a working CO detector.
Would it were so that any of my Airstreams were so sealed that I should worry about CO production! I was only worrying about the possibility of a hot ceiling, really. The open upper vent just encourages the leaks I have around every durn window and the door--good flow, like for the fridge.

But, on a scale of 1-10, where does a propane lantern sit when it comes to CO? The new catalytic heaters seem to boast of little to no CO production, so they are down at 1. At least my Mr Heater hasn't killed me yet. I continue to think that the slight headache in the morning is due to MR. Two Buck Chuck.

Yes, put the lamp where the fire extinguisher is. That's where it was in the Overlander I took mine out of.

Zep
Old 04-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, would it start a war if I suggested converting the gas lamp to 12 volt incandesent lamp? No CO, no gas lines, a lot less heat, and still retro looks.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, would it start a war if I suggested converting the gas lamp to 12 volt incandesent lamp? No CO, no gas lines, a lot less heat, and still retro looks.
I think the reason the gas lamp is wanted is because it requires no battery power and it also puts off a little heat.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Ours is in the same location as flyshr's and looks great. It provides some heat and makes a great quality of light. I wouldn't ever take it out. It is near the ceiling so it gets warm, but not hot.

I do have a problem with breaking mantles though. I bought some mantles for the light from gas-lights.com and they break every time I move the trailer -- even moving it around the block slowly. What gives? The Coleman lantern's mantles that is stored in a case on the floor of the trailer seems to be bulletproof! They never break.

Is there a solution to this? I tried the Coleman mantles, but they don't burn right. Is there a more durable brand?
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 PM   #16
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Lehmans.com

This place sells the tie on mantles that are as their catalogue says "are jolt-resistant, for use in RV's, campers and boats. They also sell high alt jets etc. for Paulin gas lights. I have purchased Alladin light parts from them in the past. and were treated well, would buy there again.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #17
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I've only used the newer Coleman mantles and have had only one ever turn to dust in 6 years and I've been down some 5 mph rough roads. Try adjusting your set screw and make sure your mantles burn almost white.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
There's a set screw? I'm sure I have the same light as yours, a Veritas? Any description would help. I'm not opposed to trying the Lehmans mantles, but I already have a handful of the Coleman type for the outside lantern.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #19
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
It's not really the typical set screw per se. Its the adjustment for the air-to-fuel ratio in the brass just above the aluminum base that holds the globe. I can't remember where mine is set and my trailer is in storage or I'd go look. Another thing to consider is how is/are your axle(s) and springs? I had a new axle made and had my original springs tested. As mentioned previously, a worn out axle will cause the whole trailer to ride rough.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
aah, sorry. I misunderstood. We were never able to find that perfect point with the Coleman mantles, so I switched to the larger ones meant for the lower pressure? They burn great, but one mantle per weekend seems wasteful. Sorry to hijack this thread.