Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Propane Leaks Near Tanks

Ok checked with soap water and found small bubbles coming from hose right as it connects to green spin on to tanks. Cooper around hose allows small amount to escape. Is this normal and what is cost effective way to repair. Do they sell these as kit or can I cut off cooper put new hose on and regular stainless clamp.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Too dangerous for you to fool with, a good propane outlet would be my choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ajo Propane Fire 030812 245.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	160693  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I'm not entirely sure what you're describing, but you can just buy a replacement hose if it's the hose between the tank and the regulator. They're not very expensive. Use thread tape for gas on the connection to the regulator. Replace both hoses, since the other one is probably just as old.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I'm not entirely sure what you're describing, but you can just buy a replacement hose if it's the hose between the tank and the regulator. They're not very expensive. Use thread tape for gas on the connection to the regulator. Replace both hoses, since the other one is probably just as old.
Be sure to use the YELLOW tape, not the white tape.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Replace the entire green threaded part and hose assembly. There have been quite a lot of reports that even fairly new ones (and even brand new ones) are developing leaks at that same area, where the copper crimp ring holds the rubber onto the green tank connector. The pressure here can be very very high, as it is full tank pressure, not the low pressure after the regulator. This is not an area you want to be trying to fix yourself with improvised materials.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
This is definitely not normal. I was the one that posted about brand new hoses leaking, see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...nes-87526.html. Mine were leaking at the other end, but still a production problem.

My dealer recently told me that Marshall had recalled the lines from the propane wholesaler and that he was temporarily unable to even buy the pigtails from them. You certainly want to check for leaks after replacement. If you have any leakage, take them back.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
Ok checked with soap water and found small bubbles coming from hose right as it connects to green spin on to tanks. Cooper around hose allows small amount to escape. Is this normal and what is cost effective way to repair. Do they sell these as kit or can I cut off cooper put new hose on and regular stainless clamp.
First of all this is not normal and is quite dangerous.

Secondly, these are sold as premade assemblies. Don't try to make your own, buy an proper length replacement hose. Here is an example:

Amazon.com: Camco 59073 RV 20" Pig Tail Propane Hose Connector: Automotive

If you are not knowledgable and comfortable working around the flammable propane gas, have a RV repair place or propane dealer do it for you.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Propane is piece of cake

I have done my own gas lines inside house far more difficult. These came with trailer are they being recalled? Have not checked rest of trailer fuel lines any other areas I should check.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
I have done my own gas lines inside house far more difficult. These came with trailer are they being recalled? Have not checked rest of trailer fuel lines any other areas I should check.
I check ALL of my lines periodically. Airstreams move and things loosen up. FWIW I use Big Blue Leak detector rather than the soapy water. I used to work in a hospital and this is what they used. Supposedly soapy water is not the best choice, but I suppose it is better than not checking them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Our low tech leak detector was Dawn dish detergent. Mix about 1 part detergent to 5 parts water.

Depending what you are doing you can use a spray bottle or a brush. We also used a product called Leak Seak with some success. The guys seemed to like the Dawn best though. Maybe it made their hands soft.

If your crimp joint is leaking, turn off your tanks and set them aside. This cannot be fixed by more crimping. This area before the regulator has full pressure. I believe the new tanks have built in valves that will detect a full flow condition and shut down.

Dan
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
I believe I've got the same problem: leak source from one of the tank hoses. We kept noticing a very slight gas smell inside our '06 Bambi on the last night of our recent camping trip, so slight that we weren't sure of a leak existing. I discovered the location (at 4:00 am) when the tank finally emptied, and my fridge gas pilot kept trying to re-set, without success. I did notice a stronger gas smell in the tank housing, and when I switched over to the second tank, no more gas smell, and the pilot relit itself without any problem. I'm taking the trailer in to my Airstream guy, but the tanks are currently shut off.
The lesson I learned: however slight the smell, the tanks should be turned off until the leak source is located and repaired. We usually carry an ice chest and single burner that works on a 1-pound propane bottle. That will definitely be our backup system in the future!

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I have had trouble with those pigtails as well, right at the crimp. Had to throw them away (they were fairly new) and star over. I also had a nut crack on the main copper line just before the branch to the frig and stove. It was hard to find with soap because it was on top, but I could sure smell it, even the neighbor came over and alerted me to the smell!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post

The guys seemed to like the Dawn best though. Maybe it made their hands soft.
I have to say it. That was Madge's schtick decades ago and it was Palmolive detergent.

Popeye

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Propane gas leak and summer reading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0454 Propane pigtail leak.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	281385  
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:01 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I just had the exact same link as pictured above on both my tanks on our trip last week. I was able to purchase two new hoses at a local hardware store.
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote