Originally Posted by m.hony
I don't think the risk of a propane leak is so much fire or explosion so much as people sleeping in the trailer unaware of a propane leak, inhaling the fumes, and becoming I'll or dying.
Absolutely true. According to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for propane, most sources agree that the permissible exposure limit (PEL) is 1000 parts per million of propane in the air; 1000ppm is 0.1% propane.
The Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) is 2.1% propane.
That means, long
before there's enough propane in the air to create an explosion hazard, you will run the risk of permanent damage to your lungs, heart, and central nervous system from breathing the stuff.
The average alarm is set to go off at 10% of the LEL, or about 0.2% propane in the air. That's double the PEL By the time the alarm goes off, there is already
a health hazard, but not yet an explosion hazard.
Fortunately, the detector is set near the floor, and your breathing zone is closer to the ceiling. That means the air in your breathing zone is probably
still safe when the alarm first goes off. Unless you're in bed, then your breathing zone is closer to the floor, too. And unless you've got fans or an a/c unit running with the doors and windows closed. In that case, the air may be more thoroughly mixed.
Side note, your pets' breathing zone is much closer to the floor. If you have pets, you definitely need a working LPG detector, to protect their
health! You can decide to take the risk. They don't know the risk and can't decide for themselves.
Propane is generally safe, when used as directed, or we wouldn't be allowed to use it. But propane leaks are not safe to ignore, so please don't disable or remove your detector.