Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lander , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
They drain your battery and detect dog farts, hair spray, and cleaning products at least as well as propane.

I removed mine. I don't believe that they provide a safety benefit in RVs. They were brought over from the yacht world where they do make a difference because propane leaks are so much more dangerous in a boat. I have tried to find an example of a fire or explosion caused by a propane leak inside an occupied RV, and have come up empty. Most RV fires are caused by electrical wiring faults, so your money would be better spent on an arc fault breaker.
I respectfully disagree. Check out www.michaelmartinezfund.com. for a good reason to have a LPG detector in your RV.
funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #42
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My detector is happily blinking green. I shot the gas from a propane torch without alarm!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:21 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't think the risk of a propane leak is so much fire or explosion so much as people sleeping in the trailer unaware of a propane leak, inhaling the fumes, and becoming I'll or dying.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #44
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I don't think the risk of a propane leak is so much fire or explosion so much as people sleeping in the trailer unaware of a propane leak, inhaling the fumes, and becoming I'll or dying.
Absolutely true. According to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for propane, most sources agree that the permissible exposure limit (PEL) is 1000 parts per million of propane in the air; 1000ppm is 0.1% propane.

The Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) is 2.1% propane.

That means, long before there's enough propane in the air to create an explosion hazard, you will run the risk of permanent damage to your lungs, heart, and central nervous system from breathing the stuff.

The average alarm is set to go off at 10% of the LEL, or about 0.2% propane in the air. That's double the PEL By the time the alarm goes off, there is already a health hazard, but not yet an explosion hazard.

Fortunately, the detector is set near the floor, and your breathing zone is closer to the ceiling. That means the air in your breathing zone is probably still safe when the alarm first goes off. Unless you're in bed, then your breathing zone is closer to the floor, too. And unless you've got fans or an a/c unit running with the doors and windows closed. In that case, the air may be more thoroughly mixed.

Side note, your pets' breathing zone is much closer to the floor. If you have pets, you definitely need a working LPG detector, to protect their health! You can decide to take the risk. They don't know the risk and can't decide for themselves.

Propane is generally safe, when used as directed, or we wouldn't be allowed to use it. But propane leaks are not safe to ignore, so please don't disable or remove your detector.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #45
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
For those who have pets, children or grandchildren (grandkritters), it is important these safety devices work. Period. Sometimes grandkritters sleep and play on the floor too!! Our children sleep on beds usually..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #46
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
For those who have pets, children or grandchildren (grandkritters), it is important these safety devices work. Period. Sometimes grandkritters sleep and play on the floor too!! Our children sleep on beds usually..
Good point! I've had pets, but not kids, so I didn't think of that!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
This may have already been mentioned but am LP detecter has a limited lifespan. Must be replaced every few years. Newer ones have a longer lifespan. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote