Old 11-20-2008, 01:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
dixmont , Maine
Propane issues...

So i have full propane tanks, both tanks turned on... The stove top/oven always work well, but the hot water heater and furnace, sometimes work, sometimes don't. Do you think it could possibly be the regulater? i have a manual switch between tanks. Am i just missing something somewhere? thanks, any ideas would be great... full timing without hot water, ewww

Old 11-20-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It is more likely an electrical problem. Check the voltage at the ignition board on each appliance. It may be that the output voltage of your batteries and converter is not properly getting through to your appliances. It also could be that your boards might be a problem. It also could be you have excess humidity or corrosion around the boards which could cause them to malfunction.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Maybe you give up trying too soon.

Whenever my LP has been off for a while, the refer and water heater try and try to start, but the gas hasn't reached them yet. In my Safari, the stove is the farthest away from the LP tanks. So I always light the stovetop burner right after turning on the tanks. This can take a minute or two, but once it lights, the lines are full of gas and everything else lights up right away.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If what the others have suggested fails, you might try adjusting the regulator. I've had trouble with them in the past, and the symtoms seem exactly like you discribe. It has been my experience the water heater is the first to give trouble if the regulated pressure is on the low side. All it takes is just a little bit of liquid getting to the regulator to mess it up.

The way I adjust it is have the wife watch a flame on the stove top while I adjust it for a slightly larger flame. If you've never done it, there is a screw off plug on the top, or side depending on how it is mounted, and under that there is a slotted adjuster that adjusts the regulator output pressure. However, if you have to turn it more than about a half turn, you probably need to replace the regulator.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
I have a 1976 Ambassador and had similar problem. I replaced the propane regulator (it was probably the original). Good thing to do but didn't fix much. I "blew out" the gas lines with pressurized air and found a moth in one of the lines. Things work much better now.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If the stove top and oven work well, it is not likely there is a problem with the regulator as the regulator supplies the stove and oven as well as the water heater and the furnace. Exactly discribe what happens (or does not happen) when you try to turn them on and maybe we can be of more help.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I do what Wayne and Sam do. The stove gets lit first and then everything else follows suit. I have new tanks, a new regulator and all the lines have been checked. The gas just needs to get through the lines first and the stove has a larger draw. That method works best for me.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you have a switchable regulator and only remove the empty tank for refilling this should not be a problem unless the STOP in the regulator is leaking back while the tank is being filled.

However if you remove both tanks at the same time the line pressure will drop and air will get into the lines. Once air is in the lines it has to be purged before the items that have a pilot will light.

The stove does not have a pilot and thus will pass the air quickly and light. The heater, ref, and some hot water heater each have a pilot and thus can not purge the air from their lines quickly. Repeated attempts to light them will eventually work once the line has purged itself of the air.

As a general rule do not remove both tanks at the same time. Switch the regulator to the tank that has gas in it to retain line pressure while the other tank is being filled. A test of the regulator would be to put a soapy solution over the open end of the line from the tank that is being filled. If the soap does not blow off the stop in the regulator is good. If it bubbles the regulator is leaking back and the line pressure will drop. If the tank is off for a long period of time air will get into the lines and you will have trouble lighting those items with pilots.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
dixmont , Maine
My hot water heater is the furthest thing away from my LP tanks, my furnace is right under my stove. I will try a few of those things and tell what happens. My stove and catalytic heater always light, but the furnace does not always light, but cannot figure out any reason consistency to it.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Any where the wind blows me , California
Can't turn the propane tank on

Does anyone know what would cause the open/close valve to stick? I can't move it in either direction. How do I fix it? Thanks for any help