Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
Propane grill

Okay, I'm looking for a great propane grill to use with my 2016 Classic. It is plumbed for a non regulated grill with a quick connection. I am looking around at camping world and such and I need some recommendations.
There seems to be very few non regulated grills out there. The quality is not great. I could go with a regulated table top model and pack a 5 gallon bottle but I am not seeing the "one" there either. I need suggestions. It is just the two of us so I don't need a huge grill but I don't want to have to buy a new grill every year once we are full time because they fall apart. Thoughts?
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
More of a camp stove

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But can be used for grilling with a grate on it.
Has worked well for us.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
The best non-regulated grills are made for boats. Go look at West Marine(ripoff) or marine supply catalogs. I have a Dickinson and it will last forever.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Weber Q1000. It is regulated but you can use either the small (fat) propane bottles available a Wal-Mart in 4 packs. Or with an adaptor hose use any big propane cylinder. The hose is an accessory (extra cost) from Weber. This unit has a cast iron grill, not many do these days.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there is an earlier thread on this topic with over 600 posts and all kinds of different grills:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ill-20888.html

In the Stella's Kitchen sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

See also:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ls-119813.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ain-78978.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...bbq-74501.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
We went with a Weber 1200, too. Removed the regulator & got a hose with both ends quick connect to use the regulated LP outlet on the trailer. About 5 minutes of work to modify & I think the hose cost maybe $50 Canadian? I can't really remember. It's a delight to cook with and the easiest thing to clean ever.
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Beware transporting those little propane bottles inside closed compartments and trailers. Illegal and dangerous. (And..there's no shut off valve on them when they leak.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
West Marine - yes. Nice SST units. Small cylinder storage. They fit in the propane cabinet or the rear bumper box. Yes, there are solutions. Measure your storage before purchase. We have to remove the lid to make a package small enough to fit inside the front locker. It tucks nicely in the back of it.

Good luck with your research. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Check out the Volcano tri-fuel grill. Propane, charcoal or wood. It is an Outstanding portable grill.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Michael that grill has intrigued me. For everyone's information, the other extensive grill thread includes more posts and good photos on the Volcano, including Posts #549 (Michael's), #650, and various follow-up posts:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ill-20888.html

The grill's versatility, and ability to handle heavy cast-iron pans and Dutch Ovens seems worthwhile.

Thanks again, Michael.

Peter

[click on arrow in quote to go to that other thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I recently picked up a Volcano grill after seeing my neighbors at Alumalina. This thing is very impressive. So far I have grilled and used a Dutch oven several times using charcoal. I have not had the opportunity to try it using gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Not so far. I have an old 12 inch flat Lodge griddle that I use inside and on the grill. Many a cowboy/Boy Scout breakfast, pizza, bread and steak has been cooked on it over the years.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Beware transporting those little propane bottles inside closed compartments and trailers. Illegal and dangerous. (And..there's no shut off valve on them when they leak.)
Actually, it's NOT illegal to transport them inside an enclosed vehicle; otherwise how could most people even buy them? Not everyone owns a pickup truck. Transporting them can be dangerous if not done properly, though…

They have to be kept upright (the same kind of base used for propane lanterns works well for keeping them upright, like https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-194...+bottle+holder), with a cap on the propane bottle (a leak may pop the cap off, giving you warning), below window level behind the driver's seat to minimize solar heating of the bottle, and in some jurisdictions no more than five of them in the same vehicle at any one time, though some places sell them in a 12-pack. Plus you've got to provide ventilation by leaving an open window (in the passenger compartment) or keeping the trunk cracked open (in the trunk)— propane is an inhalation hazard at only 10% of the concentration needed for it to explode, about the same concentration where your trailer's LPG detector goes off. Forget about being blown up; inhaling propane is bad enough…

Propane inhalation may create symptoms such as coughing, nausea, dizziness, nervousness, vomiting, increased heart rate, weakness, fever and lightheadedness, according to MedlinePlus. Higher levels of propane exposure can lead to convulsions, loss of consciousness, limb pain and numbness.

So go ahead and transport them, but just be careful. And of course if one does leak, pull over and set the bottle outside to let it finish leaking outside the car until it's empty.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The small 14-ounce bottles do not have a shut off valve, a requirement for interstate transport. Additionally, any that have been re-filled (as many people do) are illegal for such transport. The labels on them should so indicate.

All the LPG suppliers strongly discourage transport inside passenger vehicles and suggest they be transported in outside beds of trucks, or at the least in open trunks supported upright and with valves covered.

41 states have separate laws governing this matter, and it may be a problem to comply with all of them when travelling.

In any case, I hope everyone will be very careful and thoughtful about how they do this task.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Makes one wonder how they get to the stores if it is illegal to transport across state lines.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
The small 14-ounce bottles do not have a shut off valve, a requirement for interstate transport. . . .
. . .
Could you please provide a reference source for this statement? I do not see that limitation in any of the literature available in a quick search online, such as this from Walmart, for a new Coleman 16.4 oz. cylinder:

Directions:

Instructions: Use only with appliances designed for propane gas. Read and follow important safety warnings on side label. Handling & Storage: 1. Keep out of reach of children. 2. Keep away from heat, sparks, or flame. No smoking. Protect from sunlight. Store in well-ventilated place. Never store at temperatures above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C). 3. Never store in living spaces. 4. Never refill this cylinder. Refilling may cause explosion. Federal law forbids transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000 fine and 5 years imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 5124). 5. Never put in luggage or take on trains or aircraft. 6. To discard, contact local refuse hauler or recycling center. Never put in fire or incinerator. Do not puncture.

[end quote -- emphasis added]

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-P....4-oz/20923696

Nothing about a new manufactured cylinder crossing state lines.

Maybe I have missed something?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- As a practical matter, given the popularity of these small cylinders for all kinds of camping and recreational use, as well as the extensive interstate travel in the RV and Camping communities, there must be hundreds of thousands of these containers crossing state lines every year. Maybe even millions?

Post #11 by Protagonist seems to sum things up pretty well IMO.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have seen that Harbor Freight sell a llttle adapter for refilling the small disposable bottles from a larger 20 or 30 pound bottle.

It would be quite a $ saving (although they charge $20 for the little adapter!) and I have been tempted, but have resisted so far because of what I have read about it not being legal to transport them - though how anyone would ever know is beyond me!

Im not really sure what the hazard would be - other than maybe it is possible to overfill a bottle?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I have seen that Harbor Freight sell a llttle adapter for refilling the small disposable bottles from a larger 20 or 30 pound bottle.

It would be quite a $ saving (although they charge $20 for the little adapter!) and I have been tempted, but have resisted so far because of what I have read about it not being legal to transport them - though how anyone would ever know is beyond me!

Im not really sure what the hazard would be - other than maybe it is possible to overfill a bottle?

Brian.
I have one I picked up for a dollar at a rally flea market. Only used it a couple of times. The trick is that the larger bottle must be inverted before hooking up the small bottle. Not to easiest thing to do. Seems to work ok. You can hear the liquid transferring. Remove the small bottle when the sound stops. Take legal advice here with a grain of salt. Most of the laws quoted are for commercial transport.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote